64-bit on Sparc??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
necouchman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: 64-bit on Sparc?? Reply with quote

Well, I'm trying to use Gentoo on a Netra t1 105 with the UltraSPARC IIi processor. The platform is 64-bit, but I'm having some trouble with 64-bit vs. 32-bit binaries. It seems that most of the binaries that come with Gentoo for sparc64 are actually 32-bit binaries:

Code:
iscsi-bridge scst # file /bin/bash
/bin/bash: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, SPARC32PLUS, V8+ Required, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

The main issue is that it seems that the only working compiler is a 32-bit version of GCC 4.1.2. I need a 64-bit version, or at least need to know how to compile 64-bit binaries with the version of GCC included in the Sparc64 version of Gentoo. I'm currently using Gentoo 2008.0 beta 2. I'm trying to compile the SCST code and I'm getting some weird results. The module turns out as a 64-bit module:
Code:

iscsi-bridge scst # file iscsi-scst/kernel/iscsi-scst.ko
iscsi-scst/kernel/iscsi-scst.ko: ELF 64-bit MSB relocatable, SPARC V9, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped

however, the userspace binaries turn out to be 32-bit:

Code:
iscsi-bridge scst # file iscsi-scst/usr/iscsi-scstd     
iscsi-scst/usr/iscsi-scstd: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, SPARC32PLUS, V8+ Required, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

This causes problems for SCST as it needs the userspace to be 64-bit, as well. When I try to change CHOST to sparc64-linux-unknown-gnu and re-emerge binutils, gcc, and glibc, it fails on binutils with an error that the compiler cannot create executable files. Any hints on getting a true 64-bit version of binutils and GCC installed, or any gcc/ld flags that will make iscsi-scstd compile as a 64-bit ELF executable instead of 32-bit?

Thanks,
Nick
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: