Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Hello ladies and gentlemen :) - PC fixed, maybe i'm back?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Hello ladies and gentlemen :) - PC fixed, maybe i'm back? Reply with quote

Hello, i've been around with gentoo for what seems like forever, i first installed gentoo 4-5 years ago (can't believe its been that long) on my old duron from stage1.

Of course it was a "unique" experience lol, because i used to install RH in about 1 hour, then i tried gentoo using the 10" thick handbook and it took me over 24 hours lol, and then not to mention setting up X and a WM/DE it probably took me closer to 2 days, but i liked it and did it again and again.

Then i made the conrad stuff (that was a mess wasn't it ;))

I broke my last gentoo install some time mid last year i think it was, playing with ext4 and it destroyed everything and i didn't have the time and everything with school/work.

And after that, lightning struck the transformer in my neighbor's backyard and it caused a surge which blew up my computer 8O , but i tested it and it was just the ram, which oddly i never fixed until just yesterday? (I bought a car, need to mod it and play with it - and a job, and school :-p)

Well now i'm fixed, it's summer, so i'm going to do a gentoo stage1 install 8)

Oh, i also was a user rep but not sure what happened to that, i never really understood what they wanted me to do, the mailing list never worked and i never got the memos, and they set me up with an email address but they never told me how to use it! So apparently i'm not a user rep any more but i didn't understand the task anyway :-p

Just saying hello and i'm still alive, but i'm lost in about every sense of the word, last time i did anything in gentoo probably a year ago and i haven't had my computer, i'm scared to boot the live cd and start because i don't have a clue how to access my raid anymore lol, it'll probably take me 3 hours to get partitioned and ready to begin the looooong process (but not so long anymore, this will be the first time doing a stage 1 on this beast). I am core 2 duo' and O/C'd to 3 ghz :wink:
Lost in android development land.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey cheater,

nice to have you back :)

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks ;)

And i saw a post 1 second ago about how stage 1 and 2 were stabbed to go when i was gone, but it disappeared.

Anyway, i believe they were stabbed to death while i was still here :wink: But not if i have something to do about it.

Anyone have any tips on accessing my raid lol, i'm at a loss. All i know is i have to do something with mdadm and it will magically appear (i've done it before many times)

*Edit*

Errrr, downloaded the wrong cd (i downloaded the installer CD)
Damn you gentoo and your so many CDs! I can't believe i didn't realize it, i mean there is about a 650mb difference.
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:mrgreen: Welcome back sweetie *hugs*
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:
And i saw a post 1 second ago about how stage 1 and 2 were stabbed to go when i was gone, but it disappeared.

Everyone realised how pointless s1&2 were, so there's only offical support for s3 now.

cheater1034 wrote:
Anyone have any tips on accessing my raid lol, i'm at a loss. All i know is i have to do something with mdadm and it will magically appear (i've done it before many times)

mdadm --assemble /dev/mdX /dev/sd{a,b,....}n
Where X is the md device node you want, and you can guess on what the sd bit is about.

cheater1034 wrote:
Errrr, downloaded the wrong cd (i downloaded the installer CD)
Damn you gentoo and your so many CDs! I can't believe i didn't realize it, i mean there is about a 650mb difference.

I just use the sysrescuecd now, it's much better than the offical image, supports x86 & amd64 on one ISO image and much smaller to boot.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and don't forget the reiser4-support ;)

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is stage 1 pointless?
First of all on older systems the increase in overall performance is very substantial, and it may not be so on newer systems but it's still there either way 8)
And what's the fun of gentoo unless you have a stage 1 install :-p, i like the idea of it either way. Most people end up rebuilding most of the stage 3 tarball when they update anyway, so it's not like it's that much of a time difference. (I've always thought it was gentoo changing the userbase is why they phased out stage1/2)

Thanks for that mdadm command, i remember now (i've been out of commision for awhile, i used to be able to do a full gentoo install blind folded and with 1 arm behind my back :lol: ). I also usually had to mknod on the livecd now that i remember because the /sdx was never there.

Also thanks for the sysrescue suggestion, i've liked using reiser4 but i would of been just as happy with reiserfs :-p

Now i'm burning the CD and getting ready for another install ;)
jstead1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess as I understand it, a stage 3 install where you rebuild your tool chain (some say once some say twice) yields the same as a stage one install.
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jstead1 wrote:
I guess as I understand it, a stage 3 install where you rebuild your tool chain (some say once some say twice) yields the same as a stage one install.

Yeah, i want ~x86 tool chain (gcc 4.3.1, etc). stage1 makes more sense to me than downloading a stage3 and rebuilding it 10 times.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: