Flash audio/video out of sync [Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Flash audio/video out of sync [Solved] Reply with quote

Code:

www-plugins/adobe-flash-10.0.32.18  USE="32bit 64bit (multilib)"
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/win32codecs-20071007-r4  USE="(-real)" 0 kB

[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/x264-0.0.20081006  USE="threads -debug" 0 kB

[ebuild   R   ] www-client/mozilla-firefox-bin-3.5.5  USE="-restrict-javascript" LINGUAS="en en_US -af -ar -be -bg -bn -bn_IN -ca -cs -cy -da -de -el -en_GB -eo -es -es_AR -es_ES -et -eu -fa -fi -fr -fy -fy_NL -ga -ga_IE -gl -gu -gu_IN -he -hi -hi_IN -hu -id -is -it -ja -ka -kk -kn -ko -ku -lt -lv -mk -mr -nb -nb_NO -nl -nn -nn_NO -oc -pa -pa_IN -pl -pt -pt_BR -pt_PT -ro -ru -si -sk -sl -sq -sr -sv -sv_SE -ta -te -th -uk -vi -zh -zh_CN -zh_TW" 0 kB

[ebuild   R   ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc2_p20090731  USE="3dnow 3dnowext X a52 aac aalib alsa ass cddb cdio dga dirac directfb doc dts dv dvb dvd dvdnav enca encode faac faad fbcon ftp gif iconv ipv6 jack jpeg live lzo mad mmx mmxext mp2 mp3 nas network opengl osdmenu png quicktime rar real rtc schroedinger sdl shm speex sse sse2 theora tremor truetype unicode vorbis x264 xscreensaver xv xvid (-altivec) -bidi -bindist -bl -cdparanoia -cpudetection -custom-cflags -custom-cpuopts -debug -dxr3 -esd -ggi -gmplayer -joystick -ladspa -libcaca -lirc -md5sum -mng -openal -oss -pnm -pulseaudio -pvr -radio -samba -ssse3 (-svga) -teletext -tga -v4l -v4l2 -vdpau (-vidix) (-win32codecs) -xanim -xinerama -xvmc -zoran" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia -mga -s3virge -tdfx -vesa" 0 kB

Whenever I go to Hulu.com or youtube.com (probably others, but those are the only two I visit) the video plays about a second ahead of the audio - enough to be exceedingly annoying while trying to watch anything. A google search resulted in a large variety of results, but none of which matched my issue or seemed to come particularly close. Any suggestions on how to fix this or go about searching for a solution? My only guess is that there's a problem with the codec used in these websites, but I don't even know what that'd be (hence I displayed both win32codecs and x264.

For the record, I'm running Gentoo AMD64 with an nVidia 7600GS and gentoo-sources 2.6.30. Non streaming videos play fine and though I am running composite (kde 4.3.2) disabling it does not solve the issue.

Last edited by alienjon on Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, katkaif. You're input was helpful. I found the level of detail to be of the most assistance, but the link was absolutely invaluable. Should I ever have a problem with my computer again I plan on PM'ing you directly. I wish to name my first born after you.

In other words... {bump}?

[Update]
Well, the katkaif reference made more sense when there was the spam post before it. Oh well :p

Last edited by alienjon on Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
myceliv
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm since no real responses I'll toss out some ideas even though really don't know what might be causing this. Sorry to not provide more detailed support for these ideas.

I have had great results with *not using the lib32 flag on flash. Might try that. Also I thought for amd64 the win32 stuff doesn't get used anywhere. At least it seems to be masked everywhere in my profile (10.0/desktop). So might try without that.

Also there are several kernel settings regarding timers and clocks that could affect audio I think. Perhaps recheck that your kernel timer and alsa settings make sense.
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using firefox 32bit binary (I think because at the time flash was only 32 bit, so I needed the binary) With the 64bit binary now, however, I just installed mozilla-firefox-3.5.4 (the latest stable in portage) and though flash works, firefox crashes with a segfault before I can test the audio/video. Also, there's lots of:

Code:
(firefox:30211): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead

This seems to be an unrelated error, though. I can't seem to tell what is causing the segfault, though. The flash video will start to play (I picked a random hulu clip) and would go through the first of probably 3 or 4 short pre-show videos before it crashes. It also crashed when I went into gmail, where there wasn't any flash being used. I guess this is starting to get off track, though. Has anyone seen this error (and if so, is it an easy fix?)
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so - as I mentioned - I installed 64bit firefox and tried using 64bit adobe-flash, but firefox kept crashing on me. It would happen at weird times in several sites (some with flash - such as Hulu and Youtube, but some did not, it crased in gmail for me several times). To make a long story short, I decided to try using the 64bit browser but ndiswrapper with the 32bit plugin. Now it won't crash, but I'm not surprised to see that the audio/video is, again, out of sync. myceliv, you may be right with this being a more generic kernel-wide thing. What, specifically, do you mean by 'timers' that you think I could look into that might be related to all of this?

Audio does work fine with playing regular videos, so I think it is just with adobe-flash, but still I think it's an avenue worth pursuing.
myceliv
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, I feel like a third grader asked to step in and teach the fifth grade math class while the teacher's out sick. If your audio is generally ok and it's just flash I doubt kernel settings are part of it. If you want to pursue that I'd just follow the Pappy's Kernel Seeds process. Unless you did weird changes to settings making your kernel this is unlikely to be the problem anyway. Regarding a couple of the issues I do have a little to add though:

XID collision -- as best I can tell this has been occuring with flash for much longer than warnings have been visible to users. It's just been made visible in recent gtk+ since developers enabled the warning. Most everyone ignores it with no bad effects. See this thread for more details.

Disclaimer regarding this next bit: I thought that this was prevented in gentoo, at least the gnutls related part. See closed bug #272388, however I'll link it anyway so you can at least rule out that your processor doesn't match, and you're on a recent gnutls, etc.

Flash segfaults -- there is on archlinux forums a thread that for certain cpus not supporting certain instructions flash crashes on some sites (and looks like people mention sync problems too). Looks like family 15 processors are the problem ones, although at least one person said BIOS version may play a role too. This may be your problem if, e.g.:
Code:
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep family
cpu family             : 15

If I run across anything else relavent will post. Good luck!
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unless you did weird changes to settings making your kernel this is unlikely to be the problem anyway

I recognize that 'check your kernel' is a common Gentoo suggestion, but I agree in that I can't see how it would be related (or if it was, then it would be with sound or video, not just flash.

When I looked into the XID warnings, I found a bit of a variety in problems, backgrounds, and instance when it would be displayed, so I kinda have been ignoring it (I figured it was worth noting, at least)

Thanks for the gnutls note, I am running a recent version but I wasn't aware of the bug. As for the processor families, I am running a dual core processor, both cores are family 15 :( Looks like someone wrote a fix of some sort for this aspect of the problem. I'll look into it and report back when I can.
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links, myceliv. There was a post in the archlinux forums that solved the problem (the ironic thing is that the post that helped me included a reference back to Gentoo via a bug post). Basically, the problem is that family 15 processors (AMD64, being one of them) lack the lahf instruction. Someone (Maks Verver, I believe) wrote a hack in the form of code that, when compiled, acts as a plugin for the browser that emulates the lahf instruction. He can explain it much better than I can so I'll defer further explanation to the bug report.

The bottom line is that I'm now not only using 64bit firefox, but also the 64bit flash plugin without any crashing! (So far, at least :P) The added bonus is that once I fixed the 64bit plugin, the audio and video synced up! I'm guessing the original problem was related to a 32bit plugin in a 64bit environment (wouldn't have been the browser, since I started with the 32bit binary version).

Thanks for the help!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: