PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude KDE CVS rocks

so fast !!!!

thank you for doing these builds - greatly appreciated
rtwick
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downloaded and installed kde-cvs-bin. However, now I can not start kde. After reboot, I directly goto kdm but now it just gives the nvidia logo screen me 3/4 times and then dies.

I manually started kdm from /usr/kde/3.1/bin/kdm and got the login screen. If I select kde 3.1.3 it works fine. However, if I select kde 5, it gives me error

Code:
can not start kdeinit. check your installation

and goes back to login screen.

Any one faced with this problem or has any idea to fix it?

Regards
R'twick Niceorgaw[/code]
rtwick
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed it again on my laptop and the same thing happening again.
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Hmm Reply with quote

How uptodate is your system? Specifically Glibc? That could be the problem. try starting the cvs version of kdm manually. What errors does it produce?
FormerSlacker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey iamlarryboy,

Thanks for the binary kde cvs ebuilds! I've been looking to try cvs for quite some time, and with these binary builds I don't have any excuse not to try it.

If the binaries work well, I'll compile the beast.

I'll let you know how it goes. :)
ube
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the builds Reply with quote

Thanks for the builds but I seem to be having the same prob when trying to use kdm or just tring to start kde with startkde or gdm etc.. I checked .xession-errors log and it says somthing about a relocation error:. :)

anyway thanks :)
FormerSlacker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the builds Reply with quote

ube wrote:
Thanks for the builds but I seem to be having the same prob when trying to use kdm or just tring to start kde with startkde or gdm etc.. I checked .xession-errors log and it says somthing about a relocation error:. :)

You've got to make sure you remerge qt as well. The cvs version of qt is needed apparently. Just emerge qt and if you have the kde-cvs ebuilds it will instal the cvs version of qt and you will be off and running.

I'm typing this in the CVS version of kde as we speak. Konqueror is loads faster. It starts up instantly now!!?!@

Another note, thanks alot for the builds iamlarryboy. They work excellent. I'd suggest that you include the cvs version of qt as well, since it seems to be required.

I've made a new install script. I'll email it to you with a couple of notes.

Cheers. :wink:
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the builds Reply with quote

FormerSlacker wrote:
ube wrote:

You've got to make sure you remerge qt as well. The cvs version of qt is needed apparently. Just emerge qt and if you have the kde-cvs ebuilds it will instal the cvs version of qt and you will be off and running.

I'm typing this in the CVS version of kde as we speak. Konqueror is loads faster. It starts up instantly now!!?!@

Another note, thanks alot for the builds iamlarryboy. They work excellent. I'd suggest that you include the cvs version of qt as well, since it seems to be required.

I've made a new install script. I'll email it to you with a couple of notes.

Cheers. :wink:

Actually qt-5 wouldn't build for me for the longest time. KDE-CVS ran fine with qt 3.1. However, I would be happy to include Qt next build. Perhaps Monday.

About the scripts. I havn't gotten your email yet. My addy is iamlarryboyATsofthomeDOTnet just in case you typed it wrong or something. Also, I thing it would be prudent for all involved that anything I distribute be properly licenced. So may I suggest the BSD licence. Also I will probably also include the latest version of the ebuilds with the package. so perhaps make the script update the ebuilds automatically.
FormerSlacker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the builds Reply with quote

iamlarryboy wrote:

Actually qt-5 wouldn't build for me for the longest time. KDE-CVS ran fine with qt 3.1. However, I would be happy to include Qt next build. Perhaps Monday.

About the scripts. I havn't gotten your email yet. My addy is iamlarryboyATsofthomeDOTnet just in case you typed it wrong or something. Also, I thing it would be prudent for all involved that anything I distribute be properly licenced. So may I suggest the BSD licence. Also I will probably also include the latest version of the ebuilds with the package. so perhaps make the script update the ebuilds automatically.

Strange that you haven't gotten the email. I've sent it to the right address. It was sent at around 3pm.

In any case, the script can be found here. I've tested this script on my box and it seems to work well. More testing is needed obviously. The basic steps that the script performs are:

* unpacks the tarball to /tmp/kde-cvs-bin/All
* if /tmp/kde-cvs exists from an aborted installation, it waits 10 seconds before deleteing and informs the user that if he doesnt want this to happen abort the script now
* sets PKGDIR to /tmp/kde-cvs-bin so emerge knows where our binaries are
* emerges the packages one by one using the variable KDEPACKAGES
* cleans up the /tmp directory and exits

If the script encounters any errors during unpacking or emergeing the binaries, it aborts.

Feedback/comments/suggestions would be appreceated.

As for the qt issue, I had undefined symbols using anything but qt-5 and I'm not quite sure why. Works like a charm with qt-5 though.

Last edited by FormerSlacker on Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:53 am; edited 3 times in total
ube
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it working emerging qt-5 :) I was just wondering is it just me..., but I seem to have a window open saying kwin that doesnt close... I wonder why kwin isnt just running in the background.. :) Thanks again for the builds. By the way this site ... http://opendoorsoftware.com/cgi/http.pl?p=kdecvs provides kde-cvs builds in .deb format... I wonder if to save time and bandwith for you.. if it would be possible just to extract the /.tbz2 for his debs.. he also provide koffice cvs builds in .deb so thats pretty cool :) I never could get dpkg working in gentoo :)
FormerSlacker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ube wrote:
I got it working emerging qt-5 :) I was just wondering is it just me..., but I seem to have a window open saying kwin that doesnt close... I wonder why kwin isnt just running in the background.. :) Thanks again for the builds. By the way this site ... http://opendoorsoftware.com/cgi/http.pl?p=kdecvs provides kde-cvs builds in .deb format... I wonder if to save time and bandwith for you.. if it would be possible just to extract the /.tbz2 for his debs.. he also provide koffice cvs builds in .deb so thats pretty cool :) I never could get dpkg working in gentoo :)

I haven't seen this "window that doesnt close" behaviour on my box. :?
ube
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it to close by unmerging and re installing :) probably because I had already installed before installing qt :)
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:00 am    Post subject: Hey Reply with quote

***WARNING***
These builds may break stuff. Specifically konqueror does not seem to be working correctly. Procede at your own risk!
***WARNING***

Hey everyone. New builds are out. As usual you can grab them from here. They feature:
A brand new build
A new use flag (ssl)
QT is now included
And best of all a new install script (thanks to ForumSlacker)

Check it out. It's so easy there is no reason not to try KDE-CVS.
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: KDE-CVS (bi-Weekly?) builds (New Builds!!!!) Reply with quote

oops sorry this post was a dupe
Spock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: sweet ! Reply with quote

Hi @ll

your cvs stuff works really fine but i have a "feature request" :) Is it possible that you create kde-i18n binarys for some languages like german,france etc ?

I tried to download and install the german i18n-de from cvs server but no luck. Kde didn`t find the german language (and yes i set all prefixes). By the way i used the Ebuilds from this site http://dev.gentoo.org/~caleb/kde-cvs.html .

greetings
Spock

EDIT: The Konqueror is broken.It won`t show the pics on websites. (Maybe your binary`s are not ok ?) Here are 3 samples.

<a href="http://www.codemonkeys.de/downloads/konqueror.jpg">sample1</a>

<a href="http://www.codemonkeys.de/downloads/konqueror2.jpg">sample2</a>

<a href="http://www.codemonkeys.de/downloads/konqueror3.jpg">sample3</a>
FormerSlacker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoo new version! :lol:

Time to try it out. I'm curious to see if I have the same problem with konqueror. I'll let you know.

EDIT
I seem to be having some problems grabbing the files.
Code:

--14:24:12--  http://deepspaceninebbs.com/%7Eiamlarryboy/README
           => `README'
Resolving deepspaceninebbs.com... done.
Connecting to deepspaceninebbs.com[207.44.196.117]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
Read error (Connection reset by peer) in headers.
Retrying.

I wonder if it's a problem on my end :?:

**EDIT YET AGAIN**
Works fine now ;p
FormerSlacker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the same problem with konqueror not loading images in webpages. Strangely enough it loads thumbnails when browsing directories. I've tried replaceing konqeror, khtmlimage.so & khtmlimage.la but it's still a no go.

They don't call it CVS for nothing :lol:
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fbleagh wrote:
dude KDE CVS rocks

so fast !!!!

Yup, I updated CVS for the first time in two months (lack of internet access).. and I noticed a huge boost in Konqueror in terms of speed. Was probably done incrementally, so people who track it daily won't notice :)
FormerSlacker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shm wrote:
fbleagh wrote:
dude KDE CVS rocks

so fast !!!!

Yup, I updated CVS for the first time in two months (lack of internet access).. and I noticed a huge boost in Konqueror in terms of speed. Was probably done incrementally, so people who track it daily won't notice :)

They've made konqueror stay resident in memory, so it now just seems to pop up instantly ;p You can play around with the settings under the "Performance" section of konquerors configuration.
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: sweet ! Reply with quote

Spock wrote:
Hi @ll

your cvs stuff works really fine but i have a "feature request" :) Is it possible that you create kde-i18n binarys for some languages like german,france etc ?

No. Ok not right now. First, I am out of serer space. I will probably be getting more soon but for now it is full. Second, KDE-i18n-5 doesn't seem to be working for me. If however, I manage to fix these problems I could very possibly include them.

Spock wrote:

EDIT: The Konqueror is broken.It won`t show the pics on websites. (Maybe your binary`s are not ok ?) Here are 3 samples.

<a href="http://www.codemonkeys.de/downloads/konqueror.jpg">sample1</a>

<a href="http://www.codemonkeys.de/downloads/konqueror2.jpg">sample2</a>

<a href="http://www.codemonkeys.de/downloads/konqueror3.jpg">sample3</a>

See my warning. I know and am working on the problem. It could be my builds It could be cvs. I'll let you know as soon as I do.
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FormerSlacker wrote:

EDIT
I seem to be having some problems grabbing the files.
Code:

--14:24:12--  http://deepspaceninebbs.com/%7Eiamlarryboy/README
           => `README'
Resolving deepspaceninebbs.com... done.
Connecting to deepspaceninebbs.com[207.44.196.117]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
Read error (Connection reset by peer) in headers.
Retrying.

I wonder if it's a problem on my end :?:

**EDIT YET AGAIN**
Works fine now ;p

Ya sorry about that. I posted as I was uploading the files to the server. The upload borked so if tried to download for ~ an hour or so it would have failed or resulted in a corrupted file.
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: hey Reply with quote

I have done a bit of looking and it does not apear the problems with konqueror are due to my builds (I could be wrong however). Anyway, this is the biggest problem I have had wit kde-cvs yet. I'll release a new build as soon as it is fixed.
rtwick
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for not responding earlier. got stuck with problems at work.
I just installed the latest bin file on my laptop and every thing seems to work fine. I'll try to install it on my desktop later tonight.

However, I found the same problem with konqueror. It's not displaying images. Also KMail is no more working with ssl pop3 accounts ( gives something like a bad protocol).

Apart from that every thing is just great. Thanks a lot for the ebuilds.

R'twick
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtwick wrote:

However, I found the same problem with konqueror. It's not displaying images. Also KMail is no more working with ssl pop3 accounts ( gives something like a bad protocol).

Hence the addition of the ssl USE flag. Hopefully Konqueror will start working soon.
Spock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks so that QT is the "konqueror problem". I fetched and build qt again from scratch. After that all problems are gone. If someone has some time please try that too....

cheers
Spock
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 2 of 36

Jump to: