View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Summary? Reply with quote

Hi everyone. Back in June I asked for a status report, asking if I would be able to play the hi-def video from Blu-Ray discs if I were to buy a drive. fangorn provided an excellent summary and I said it sounded a bit rough and that I'd check back soon. How are we doing now?
Tariella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I updated my main post with a short guide on how to rip your bluray disks to hd for playing.
If you want to just play them you can stream the output from the dumphd application directly into mplayer. Be aware that you'll need very performant hardware for this. There are still no video drivers supporting hardware decoding.
You'll need the newest mplayer version (berkano overlay) for playback with eac3 sound.

BD+ encoded discs are still another problem. There are already experimental implementations for this but nothing that can be used to decode automatically. It needs fiddling around with a BDVM debugger to get a conversion table that can be used with the dumphd program. A library that can decode automatically seems to be in the works. There was great progress on BD+ in the last few weeks.

For a guide please visit the first post.

Edit: If you want to buy a drive, you should get one that can be patched for getting the VID without authentication. The thread with the patches for various drives is here in the doom9 forums.

Also I'll eventually try to automate the whole process with a script, but don't hold your breath since I'm still experimenting with all this.
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tariella, thank you very much for the information. You all have come a long way and this looks do-able!

I'm considering not patching a Blu-Ray drive or downloading AACSkeys and just using the VUKs available on doom9 since there seem to be a lot there. Has anyone found that database to be lacking?

How strong should my hardware be in order to stream from dumpHD to mplayer? How about if I dump to the hard drive first? Does the video card not matter at this point, and only the CPU?

Transcoding also sounds interesting. Is there a method for transcoding that creates a video nearly indiscernible from the original with less hardware playback requirements?
R!tman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tariella, this is great news! With your howto I could easily watch 'V for Vendetta', 'Iron Man' and 'Batman Begins' on the fly, no dumping to the HD necessary. I also got 'Spiderman 3' working, however I couldn't find an english or german audio stream, only two diffent comment streams.
Also, I couldn't get 'The Fifth Element' to work at all (yet!!):
Code:
$ ./bin/linux/aacskeys -va /mnt/cdrom/
aacskeys 0.3.5 by arnezami, KenD00

Current path:                   /home/ritman/tmp/brd/aacskeys-0.3.5

MKBv:                           9
Could not find a Processing Key or Device Key resulting in the Media Key.
Possible key tried:             09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0
Possible key tried:             455FE10422CA29C4933F95052B792AB2
Possible key tried:             F190A1E8178D80643494394F8031D9C8
Possible key tried:             7A5F8A09F833F7221BD41FA64C9C7933

ERROR: PROCESSMKB, errnr: -3

I guess it's because of MKBv9?!?

Anyway, I'm really happy with the development of things right now :)!!

Thanks a ton to all of you!
Tariella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VUK database seems to be pretty complete for american bluray versions. There are few european VUKs though.

My HTPC has a AMD X2 4000+ CPU with 2GB RAM and a onboard graphics card (radeon HD 3200) which is capable of decoding bluray and fullHD videos but the driver is lacking support (yet). Enabling Xv is helping a little bit but atm only the cpu power matters.
I didn't test streaming yet.

For transcoding there are some fine hints in this thread. Fangorn even posted a script for transcoding easily. For quality you should try yourself if it is sufficient for you. ;)

MKB9 is afaik not known yet. Be sure to check in the doom9 forums for updates. That is where the MKBs are posted first once they are found.
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds great. I've got the same CPU and RAM you do so I think all I need is a Blu-Ray drive. I think I'll go with one of the doom9 ones with firmware available just in case. Thanks a lot for all your help.
Tariella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I had a hard time finding out about the options for playback in the first place, I added information about playback with mplayer into the first post. There are also some options you can try if the performance is not satisfactory.

Because of my very limited knowledge of transcoding I decided to just link to Fangorns script from my first post. ;)

If there are any more questions that I am able to answer I'll of course try and eventually I might put them into my main post if the solutions are of common interest.
Also I'll of course update my guide with BD+ as soon as it becomes commonly usable.

Eventually when BD+ will be solved, I'll try to script the whole decrypting/streaming process so that all we have to do is setting up the programs once and can playback using the script only. But this will probably take still a long time.

As of now I'm finished with updating my main post, I hope it will help you. :)
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, I ordered the GGW-H20L from NewEgg. Can't wait to get started!
harukaze
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tariella:

Thanks for all your work on this.

In your instructions at the top of the thread you say the streaming instructions (ffmpeg/mplayer) 'should work' for blueray.

Can you confirm that this is so as I have not been able to get either ffmpeg or mplayer to work with m2ts files. Both programs appear to access the file but then start consuming all the memory on my PC without doing anything else.

Everything works OK with HDDVD EVO files.

This is with the very latest svn versions of both programs on a 64bit install. And the EVO and m2ts files I have tested with are from rips via anydvdhd.

EDIT:25/11/08

Things are not so straightforward I have discovered. The problems I reported were with the first 3 blu-ray disks I bought: Stargate, Fifth Element, Dark City. However, 2 recent blu-ray disks work OK with ffmpeg: Paprika, Tekkonkinkreet.

Last edited by harukaze on Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tariella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from the dumpHD Thread at doom9:
Quote:
happy to report that dumphd v0.46 works for streaming blu-rays to mplayer! it worked when i input only the root disc location (for complete disc streaming) and also when i specified the main movie file with the --infile switch.

and a few posts deeper:
Quote:
an example command line input for linux would be:
Code:
./dumphd.sh /media/cdrom1/ | mplayer -cache 8192 -demuxer lavf -aid 1 -channels 6

Maybe the video format is not exactly the same as for your EVO files. Check the codec with
Code:
ffmpeg -i <movie>.m2ts
and if necessary set the vc (videocodec) according to the output.

I didn't stream any bluray disks yet because I wanted to omptimize the playback performance first so that I can be sure that an eventual performance drop would be from streaming.
But I'll check this weekend and report back if it worked for me.
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the mkv script fangorn posted is 100% for transcoding from Tariella's ripping method?
Tariella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I fiddled around with scripting the decrypring/streaming process of a bluray disc (with the help of a scripting expert ;)), so that it can be easily automated. I was surprised, that the perfromance was great. In comparison to playing ripped HD-DVD .evo files the streamin of bluray .m2ts files runs nearly flawless and very fluid. :)
Still tried no BD+ encrypted disk. That's the next step.

As soon as I am able to teach my script how to identify the main movie, it'll be possible to just put in the disc and start the script for playing it. :D
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@grant123
mencoder does AFAIK still NOT recognise .m2ts containers. So a direct handling will not happen!

For use with mencoder you have to do (after ripping the to .m2ts files)

1. identify video (easy, usually its the only one) and audio streams (not so easy, I had best results with plain AC3, if there is only eac3 strip it down to ac3 with tsMuxer, the same is possible for DTS HD)
2. copy the necessary streams into a MPEG transport stream (.ts) using tsMuxer or any other capable app.
3. run the script
4. mux the .avi (contains video and first audio stream) with additional audio into .mkv container using mmg
harukaze
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news for Nvidia users.

Nvidia have just released a new driver with decoding support:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=123091

Phoronix are testing it:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_vdpau&num=1

It looks like it is still buggy but it is a start
Tariella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Fangorn:
Thanks for your information. May I add this todo-list to the first post (the howto part)? Of course I'll give you the credits. :wink:

@harukaze:
I read this too. Great development.
I'm still biting my ass for buying a mainboard with integrated ATI chipset just because they were promising to eventually release GPU decoding support. :evil:
Well, at least now the ATI guys will have to act.
It's a pity there is no standard but that they are all developing their own proprietary thing. :x
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tariella,
Sounds great, can we see the script? My Blu-Ray drive arrives today and I can't wait to give it a try. I've got House of Wax, Discovery Atlas: Italy Revealed, and Talladega Nights.

fangorn,
Thanks for the info. Is a tsMuxer ebuild available in an overlay or elsewhere? Can I skip your step #4 and just play the avi?

harukaze,
Good news, although my GeForce 6200 supports PureVideo but didn't make the supported device list:

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce6200_agp.html
harukaze
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grant123

Yes,unfortunately my Nvidia card is not on the list either. I will wait till Phoronix have done more testing before I get a replacement though to make sure I get one that is powerful enough to do the job.

Also if you are interested in recoding blueray have a look at h264enc ( I use their 'near lossless' preset) and Megui (a Windows prog but the presets can be easily used in Linux). Both have a range of presets depending on what you want to do. Both are at Doom9.
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tariella
Feel free to do so.

@grant123
unfortunately tsMuxer is not in the tree AFAIK. It is a precompiled 32bit x86 binary, that on my machine always segfaults. If you have the same problem you can still use the windows command line version tsMuxeR.exe
Code:
wine <path/to/tsMuxeR.exe> <path/to/script> output.file

works perfect for me.

it uses a script to select the needed streams and trigger the needed options. You can either put the script together yourself (the syntax is quite simple but not very convenient) or use tsMuxerGUI.exe (windows program) to select the streams and the actions and copy the command line to a script file. Unluckily I still did not succeed in getting tsMuxerGUI.exe running under Wine. Most likely a font problem.

If you don't need a second audio stream you could use the .avi file directly. But I found it less difficult to handle (fastforward, pause, ...) and more stable (audio sync) when in a .mkv container. Your mileage may vary, depending on the way of playback.
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@harukaze
h264enc is quite good, but it's dependencies are quite heavy and I like my scripts scriptable. For ripping dvds to h.264 I use a handcrafted script (riptoh264).

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# riptoh264
# Script to rip dvd main titles or specified titles to AVI or MKV
# Standard is to put german language first and english second, but it can be reversed.
# If you need other main languages, edit script accordingly.
#
# Depends on: mencoder,
#             x264,
#             lsdvd, 
#             dvdxchap (part of ogmtools, optional, needed for chapter support when using mkv containers), 
#             mkvmerge (part of mkvtoolnix, optional when using avi containers), 
#             avimerge (part of transcode, for multiple audio streams, optional when using mkv containers)
#
# Author: fangorn (at forums.gentoo.org)
#
# Licence: BSD Licence, use at your own risk, no warranties.
#
# Todo: Support for subtitles in mkv containers
#

help_text () {
cat <<EOF
usage ${0##*/} [-dilan] [-t title] moviename [name of output file]
    -d         directory mode. moviename has to be directoryname
               (DVD ripped into directory using dvdbackup for example)
    -i         source is interlaced
    -e         english first
    -a         .avi only (skip matroska creation and scale anamorphic video to 1024:576)
    -n         specify name of the episode/title selected with the -t option 
    -l         low quality encoding (XVID and mp3)
    -t title   instead of encoding the longest title, use this title
EOF
   exit 0
}

chapter=0
lowquality="no"     
directory="no"
interlaced="no"
specname="no"
avionly="no"
englisch=""
while getopts dheanilt:m: option;
do
  case "$option"
  in
    d)  directory="yes";;
    i)  interlaced="yes";;
    e)  englisch="yes";;
    l)  lowquality="yes";;
    a)  avionly="yes";;
    t)  chapter=$OPTARG;;
    n)  specname="yes";;
    h)  help_text ;;
  esac
done
shift $(($OPTIND - 1))

if [ -z $1 ]; then
   help_text ;
   exit;
fi

moviename="$1"
if [ $specname = "yes" ] ; then
   if [ -z $2 ] ; then
      echo "you have to specify a output name when using the -n option"
      exit 1;
   fi
   outputname="$2"".mkv"
elif [ $chapter -gt 0 ] ; then
   outputname="$moviename""_$chapter"".mkv"
else
   outputname="$moviename"".mkv"
fi

LSDEVICE=""
DEVICE=""
if [ "$directory" = "yes" ] ; then
   # Verzeichnis
   LSDEVICE="./$1"
else
   LSDEVICE="/dev/dvd"
fi

if [ $chapter = 0 ] ; then
   # Laengsten Track feststellen
   LCH=`lsdvd $LSDEVICE | grep Longest | awk '{print $3}'`
   # Anzahl Chapter feststellen
   NCH=`lsdvd -t $LCH $LSDEVICE | grep Chapters | awk '{fs=FS; FS=", "; print substr ($6, 1, length($6)-1)}'`
else
   LCH=$chapter
   NCH=`lsdvd -t $LCH $LSDEVICE | grep Chapters | awk '{fs=FS; FS=", "; print substr ($6, 1, length($6)-1)}'`
fi

echo "encoding Title $LCH"
echo "which has $NCH chapters"

if [ -z `/usr/bin/which dvdxchap` ] ; then
   echo "Please install ogmtools to activate transport of DVD chapter marks to MKV container!"
else
   if [ -f chapters.txt ] ; then
      echo "chapters.txt already exists, removing!"
      rm chapters.txt
   fi
   dvdxchap -t $LCH $LSDEVICE > chapters.txt
fi

if [ "$directory" = "yes" ] ; then
   # Verzeichnis
   DEVICE=" -dvd-device ./$1 dvd://$LCH "
   AUDIO="-alang de"
else
   DEVICE="dvd://$LCH "
   # if your preferred language is not german, change here.
   AUDIO="-alang de"
fi

ASPECT=`mplayer $DEVICE -vo dummy -ao dummy -identify 2>&1 | grep MPEG2 | cut -d'(' -f2 | cut -d' ' -f2 | cut -c1`
SRC_FPS=`mplayer -vo dummy -ao dummy -identify $DEVICE 2>&1 | grep VIDEO_FPS | cut -d= -f2`

if [ "$directory" = "no" ] ; then
   ENCDEV=$DEVICE
else
   ENCDEV=" -dvd-device ./$moviename dvd://$LCH "
fi

#Deinterlace? y/n
if [ $interlaced = "yes" ] ; then
   #filter=" -vf pp=ci"
   filter=" -vf lavcdeint"
fi

if [ "$lowquality" = "no" ] ; then
   mplayer $DEVICE -alang en -dumpaudio -dumpfile "$moviename""_en.ac3"
#   mplayer $DEVICE -alang de -dumpaudio -dumpfile "$moviename""_de.ac3"

SCALE=""
   if [ $ASPECT = 3 ] ; then
      # anamorphic
      # This is because my network player cannot handle aspect ratios
      # This is PAL geometry. For NTSC use 1024x480
      if [ $avionly = "yes" ] ; then
         SCALE="-vf scale=1024:576"
      fi
   fi

echo    mencoder -v $ENCDEV $AUDIO $SCALE \
        -ovc x264 -x264encopts subq=4:bframes=4:b_pyramid:weight_b:pass=1:psnr:bitrate=1500:turbo=2:threads=0 \
        -passlogfile ${moviename}_2pass.log -oac copy \
        -ofps $SRC_FPS\
        -o /dev/null
   mencoder -v $ENCDEV $AUDIO $SCALE \
        -ovc x264 -x264encopts subq=4:bframes=4:b_pyramid:weight_b:pass=1:psnr:bitrate=1500:turbo=2:threads=0 \
        -passlogfile ${moviename}_2pass.log -oac copy \
        -ofps $SRC_FPS\
        -o /dev/null 2>> "$moviename""_mencoder.log"

# anamorphic
      # This is because my network player cannot handle aspect ratios
      # if you want to use mkv container you can set aspect ratio and don't need to scale
      # This is PAL geometry. For NTSC use 1024x480
      if [ $avionly = "yes" ] ; then
         if [ $interlaced = "yes" ] ; then
            filter=" -vf lavcdeint,spp,scale=1024:576,hqdn3d=2:1:2"
         else
            filter="-vf spp,scale=1024:576,hqdn3d=2:1:2"
         fi
      fi
   fi

echo   mencoder -v $ENCDEV $AUDIO \
        -ovc x264 -x264encopts subq=5:partitions=4x4:8x8dct:frameref=3:bframes=4:b_pyramid:pass=2:psnr:bitrate=1500:threads=0 \
        -passlogfile ${moviename}_2pass.log -oac copy $filter \
        -ofps $SRC_FPS \
        -o "$moviename""_tmp.avi"
   mencoder -v $ENCDEV $AUDIO \
        -ovc x264 -x264encopts subq=5:partitions=4x4:8x8dct:frameref=3:bframes=4:b_pyramid:pass=2:psnr:bitrate=1500:threads=0 \
        -passlogfile ${moviename}_2pass.log -oac copy $filter \
        -ofps $SRC_FPS \
        -o "$moviename""_tmp.avi" 2>> "$moviename""_mencoder.log"

#muxing   
   if [ $avionly = "no" ] ; then
         # anamorphic
         aspect="--aspect-ratio 0:16/9 "
      else
         aspect=""
      fi
      if [ $englisch = "yes" ] ; then
         first="ger"
         second="eng"
         trackorder=" --track-order 0:0,1:0,0:1"
      else
         first="ger"
         second="eng"
         trackorder=" --track-order 0:0,0:1,1:0"
      fi
      if [ -f chapters.txt ] ; then
         chapters=" --chapters chapters.txt "
      else
         chapters=""
      fi   
      if [ $specname = "yes" ] ; then
         title="--title $2"
      else
         title="--title $moviename"
      fi

"mkvmerge" $title -o "$outputname" $chapters $aspect --language 1:$first -a 1 -d 0 -S "$moviename""_tmp.avi" --language 0:$second -a 0 -D -S "$moviename""_en.ac3" -d 0 $trackorder
   else
      if [ -f  "$moviename""_en.ac3" ] ; then
         avimerge -i "$moviename""_tmp.avi" -p "$moviename""_en.ac3" -a 1 -o "$moviename"".avi"
      fi 
   fi
else
   SCALE=""
      # anamorphic
      SCALE="-vf scale=1024:576"
   fi

echo    mencoder $ENCDEV -ovc lavc -oac copy \
           -ffourcc XVID $SCALE \
           -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:turbo:vpass=1:vbitrate=1500 \
           -o /dev/null
   mencoder $ENCDEV -ovc lavc -oac copy \
           -ffourcc XVID $SCALE \
           -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:turbo:vpass=1:vbitrate=1500 \
           -o /dev/null

# anamorphic
      SCALE="-vf kerndeint,spp,scale=1024:576,hqdn3d=2:1:2"
   fi

echo    mencoder $ENCDEV -ovc lavc -oac mp3lame \
           -ffourcc XVID $SCALE $filter \
           -lameopts vbr=0:br=128:mode=0 \
           -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:mv0:trell:v4mv:cbp:last_pred=3:predia=2:dia=2:vmax_b_frames=2:vb_strategy=1:precmp=2:cmp=2:subcmp=2:preme=2:qns=2:vpass=2:vbitrate=1500 \
           -o $moviename.avi
   mencoder $ENCDEV -ovc lavc -oac mp3lame \
           -ffourcc XVID $SCALE $filter \
           -lameopts vbr=0:br=128:mode=0 \
           -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:mv0:trell:v4mv:cbp:last_pred=3:predia=2:dia=2:vmax_b_frames=2:vb_strategy=1:precmp=2:cmp=2:subcmp=2:preme=2:qns=2:vpass=2:vbitrate=1500 \
           -o $moviename.avi

fi

exit 0;

Edit: added new version with support for copying chapters from dvd to matroska container.

Last edited by fangorn on Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think streaming is almost working, but I've been a massive victim of Murphy's Law here and I'm going to throw out a few things which I've had to overcome in order to help others. I'll be editing this post as I put together more useful info.

#1.

I get the following if I use the precompiled libaacskeys.so library:

Code:

dumphd/libaacskeys.so: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found

I think aacskeys is compiled with gcc-4.2 and I'm on gcc-4.1.2. A gcc upgrade didn't sound appetizing so I wanted to compile my own. As R!tman said, it's very important to run the appropriate substitution on libaacskeys.make if you want to compile aacskeys and you're a Gentoo user. Here is the command from within vi:

Code:

:%s/\/usr\/lib\/jvm\/java-6-sun/\/etc\/java-config-2\/current-system-vm/g

Be sure your selected java is a jdk as opposed to a jre (more on that in #2), then cd to the aacskeys directory, run "make", and copy lib/linux/libaacskeys.so to your dumphd directory.

#2.

In order to run dumphd I had to install sun-jdk-1.6.0.10. I only had the following before:

Code:

# java-config -L
The following VMs are available for generation-2:
1)   Sun 32bit JRE 1.6.0.07 [emul-linux-x86-java-1.6]
*)   Sun JDK 1.5.0.16 [sun-jdk-1.5]

I then switched to 1.6.0.07 with 'javaconfig -s 3'.

#3.

The first post indicates that the UDF 2.5 support is included in kernel 2.6.25, but 2.6.25-hardened-r9 can't read the Blu-Ray filesystem. 2.6.27-hardened-r1 works fine.

#4.

I couldn't get wine to work until I disabled all hardened aspects of my kernel. I think pax was the problem.

#5.

I couldn't get the drive patching program to work until I pointed /dev/cdrom to /dev/sr0 instead of /dev/hda.

Last edited by grant123 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
harukaze
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the state of progress is regarding ripping/displaying blu-ray/hddvd subtitles?

I imagine it is only a matter of time before mplayer can handle displaying them as it reads the m2ts/EVO file? But I have been searching the web without any success for news (I might be just using the wrong search terms).

Subtitles are quite important option for me as I watch quite a few foreign (non-English) films and I usually prefer to watch in the original language with subtitles even if an English dub is available.
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally got this working only to find my system's performance isn't up to snuff. I'm dumping to the hard drive and running:

Code:

mplayer -fs -vo xv -demuxer lavf -lavdopts threads=2:fast:skiploopfilter=all -sws 0 -framedrop -cache 8192 -autosync 30 file.m2ts

I've tried streaming too. Video playback is smooth but the audio stutters or doesn't synchronize with the video.

I have an AMD X2 4000+, 2GB RAM, and Nvidia Geforce 6200. Is there anything else I can do in software or do I need to upgrade my CPU or try one of the newly accelerated Nvidia cards?

EDIT: This has cleared up a lot after disabling Composite support in xorg.conf. Are there any other things in xorg.conf to be sure to include or not include?

MORE EDIT: Talladega Nights is playing back perfectly streaming from the disc, but House of Wax has stuttering sound everywhere. Why would one be perfect and the other have stuttering sound?

YET AGAIN: I have 3 Blu-Rays: Talladega Nights, House of Wax, and Italy Revealed. Talladega Nights works perfectly, but the other two have stuttering audio. I compared them with 'ffmpeg -i file.m2ts' and the only important differences I see are:

Talladega Nights: "Video: mpeg2video"
House of Wax: "Video: vc1"
Italy Revealed: "Video: h264"

Could my system be having an easier time decoding mpeg2video and so not suffer from the stuttering sound in that instance?
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'd really like to end up with is what fangorn describes here:

Quote:

2. copy the necessary streams into a MPEG transport stream (.ts) using tsMuxer or any other capable app.

I use the following to do this with DVDs:

Code:

vlc dvd:/dev/hda@1 --sout "#standard{access=file,mux=ps,dst=title.mpg}"

Can anything like that be done with Blu-Ray with a linux app? Especially one in portage?
Tariella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@grant123
It might be that the discs use a different audio format. There are eac3 and truHD and maybe others. Best supported is eac3 afaik.

Look at the autiotracks in the m2ts file with
Code:
ffmpeg -i

You can specify the id of the one to use for playback with the -aid <trackid> option.

Also I'm experimenting with a script that uses a buffer-file between dumphd and mplayer for better playback performance. As soon as it shows good results I'll post it here.
Unfortunately I have only one BD+ free BluRay disc so far and it runs with good performance. So I can't be sure if my script really improves the performance.
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tariella

According to ffmpeg -i, the audio of each one is ac3. The only real difference I noticed between them was the video codec.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: