View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm getting the stuttering sound because my system isn't fast enough. Could that be the case with an AMD X2 4000+, 2GB RAM, and an Nvidia Geforce 6200?

If so, maybe the smartest thing to do is buy a Geforce 8400 on newegg.com for about $20 and use the new hardware acceleration. Has anyone tried it?

EDIT: I overclocked my CPU from 2.1ghz to 2.5ghz and it's a big improvement but still problematic. I guess that means the problem is performance.
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reference, tsmuxer must be compiled with a different version of gcc than 4.1.2 because I get an error trying to run it. The Windows version starts via wine, but gives me an "unsupported format" error when selecting the .m2ts file. I was, however, able to run tsremux with 'mono *.exe'.
Tariella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me my AMD X2 4000+ with 2GB RAM is good enough most of the time. Since we can expect hardware video decoding per GPU driver real soon now, I wouldn't care too much for the processor performance.
The real trouble is that mplayer isn't able to use multiple cores, so it all uses up one core which might not be enough for good performace.

I experimented with 2 instances of mplayer (one for sound and one for video) per script so that each core is used but then the a/v sync is crappy. Didn't try it with more than one film tough. Maybe I'll give my script for two instances another try with a film that contains sync info. Then I could even implement synchronizing the two threads if I find out how to read the actual position of the stream.
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tariella: Brilliant idea with the dual-core mplayer.

I read on doom9 that "if the video is H.264 and you haven't built MPlayer with the multithreaded libav* libraries from ffmpeg-mt" you can have performance problems. Has anyone tried ffmpeg-mt?
Tariella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find ffmpeg-mt in portage or any overlay. Maybe if we ask nicely we could get it added to the berkano overlay?
The URL for the ffmpeg-mt git is here. There isn't any info on how it differs from ffmpeg main branch tough.
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know how to contact the berkano-overlay guy?

I would think ffmpeg-mt is a multithreaded ffmpeg. Does that sound right?
Tariella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a thread for berkano-overlay at the unsupported software part of the forums.

I guess ffmpeg-mt means that its multithreading but the "normal" ffmpeg version has a threads use-flag. I think this means that it should be multithreading too. :?
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you're saying about USE=threads. I asked about ffmpeg-mt in the berkano-overlay thread and we'll see what they say.

EDIT: "The ebuild now (only) pulls the "regular" development version of ffmpeg. But I think mt and vdpau are interesting enough to try to make available in the ebuild as well (but for now that's only a plan)."

What's happening with TrueHD audio? Are we able to play that?
Tariella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about TruHD. The discs that are working for me might have included truHD (didn't care for the audio-format then as long as it worked). I'll check this.

Did you try the part of my guide about mlp audio format? This should be the one to use for truHD.

Edit:
I finally found the time to redo the recode part of my guide in the main post. Fangorn's information is now added. Thanks :)
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can tell TruHD isn't working on Linux at all, even setting mplayer with mlp. Here's a thread about it at doom9:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=142934
Tariella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found something about trueHD on the ffmpeg-devel mailing list. Seems that someone made progress with decoding trueHD. The first results were reported in 2007.

Also have a look at the ffmpeg "Summer of Code" projects.
Quote:
MLP/TrueHD encoder

* Student: Ramiro Polla
* Mentor: Justin Ruggles
* Student Status: active
* Code Status: in process, the first stage, getting the MLP decoder into shape and committed, has been accomplished.

Here are the links to the latest patch for ffmpeg.

Even ffmplayer's supported codecs page lists MLP/truHD in its audio-formats now.

I remember having seen a truhd (and a eac3) USE flag for the ffmpeg and mplayer ebuilds from berkano overlay some time ago. The must have been removed. Don't know why, maybe it didn't work?
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tariella, great info. Have you been able to decode mlp/truehd with ffmpeg? I'd like to give that ffmpeg patch a try the next time I run into truehd, but the patch says it's for encoding. Does that imply decoding?

EDIT: I'm being told that that patch is for encoding only, that decoding support already exists, and that it doesn't work because of a problem with demuxing.
Tariella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added information about performance improvements from the berkano overlay thread and the doom9 forums to my main post.
Thanks for the hint, grant123. ;)

Edit:
I tested this tip and the performance update is indeed noticeable. The "too many packages" messages have vanished.

I also finally found time to test a truHDaudio-encoded disk and it worked for me. The audiocodec to use is ffmlp, I'll update the front page with the correct information.

Seems like only BD+ is missing now, but according to this post on the doom9 forums a solution for dumpHD using libbluray from the BD+ thread there is in the works.
R!tman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I watched another BR movie and found out that seeking within the movie doesn't work (for me) if you watch it directly from the disc. Is there a solution to that already? Somehow I doubt there will be one as long as I simply pipe things to mplayer ;-).

EDIT: Seeking backwards I mean...
Tariella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am experimenting with a script that creates a "buffer" file and uses this in the streaming process between dumphd and mplayer. It helps with performance and should allow backwards seeking.
As soon as its usable I'll post it here of course.
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also finally found time to test a truHDaudio-encoded disk and it worked for me. The audiocodec to use is ffmlp, I'll update the front page with the correct information.

Strange that it still doesn't work for me. I've tried from the disc and from the hard drive. Here's what I'm using:

mplayer -fs -vo xv -ac ffmlp -demuxer lavf -lavdopts threads=2:fast:skiploopfilter=all -autosync 30 video.m2ts

Running the same command on a .ts file that has been converted with tsremux from truehd to ac3 works great. Are you using mplayer, ffmpeg, and x264 from the berkano overlay?
Tariella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most media have more than one audio track. Since afaik eac3 is standard for bluray I guess that at least one eac3 track should be included on each bluray.
I'd check the audio-tracks with ffmpeg -i and specify the Truhd track number for mplayer with -aid #

If it still doesn't work try to update your ffmpeg. The ffmlp codec is using the ffmpeg MLP codec. Also the newest ffmpeg version is better with autodetecting codecs according to this news-item from phoronix.

I'll search my media discs for truhd tracks to check if it works for all truhd tracks. Might be that my working disc was an exception.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tariella wrote:
Most media have more than one audio track. Since afaik eac3 is standard for bluray I guess that at least one eac3 track should be included on each bluray.
Actually, EAC3 is not standard on Blu-ray. That's why Blu-ray EAC3 tracks consist of an AC3 core plus residual.

The only standards that must be supported are AC3, DTS and LPCM. Everything else (eac3, TrueHD, DTS-HD HR, DTS-HD MA) is optional. Why this stupidity, don't ask me. HD-DVD has EAC3 and TrueHD as mandatory, therefore has no need for these crazy Blu-ray style streams.
Tariella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Looks like I mixed Blu-ray and HD-DVD information. Didn't know it was that different.

The trueHD disc that worked for me was a HD-DVD, i'll check my Blu-rays for trueHD to make more testruns.
R!tman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tariella wrote:
I am experimenting with a script that creates a "buffer" file and uses this in the streaming process between dumphd and mplayer. It helps with performance and should allow backwards seeking.
As soon as its usable I'll post it here of course.

That would be great! Thanks a ton!
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good info here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143372
Tariella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing out the good news. :)

I'm summarizing the latest great news here:

Dumphd supports now automatic bd+ removing with the bdvm debugger.

There is now a new version of aacskeys and
here is a very informative post about the state of AACS and what part of it is "broken" right now and why.

I'll add detailed info about BD+ playback to my main post as soon as I find the time.
harukaze
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having trouble trying to get the firmware patch for the GGC_H20L drive to work.

I am running a 64 bit install and my drive is /dev/sr0

I have tried running wine as both a user and as root but with the same results..

The program won't recognise the drive unless there is a disk mounted in it, but won't make the patch until the disk is removed.Unmounting the drive isn't sufficient, it seems to need the disk to be physically removed. But I can't do that because the drive tray is locked closed and the only way to release it is to cancel the patch program.

What is the correct way to do this?

TIA
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the exact same problem. Point /dev/cdrom to /dev/sr0 and it will work. You can always change or remove the link when you're done.
harukaze
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grant123:

I still couldn't get it to work with your suggestion.

In the end I 'cheated' and did it via XP running in a Vmware virtual machine.

I would have liked to have done it with Linux but since I only had to do this once ...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: