avahi-daemon won't start at boot - can't find fix[SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenspd137
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: avahi-daemon won't start at boot - can't find fix[SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi-

I am using the 2.6.24-r7 kernel, and avahi-daemon won't start at boot. It keeps giving me the error:
Code:

Timeout reached while waiting for return value
Could not recieve return value from daemon process.
* ERROR: avahi-daemon failed to start

but, when I start it manually with:
Code:

/etc/init.d/avahi-daemon start

it works just fine. The only mention I can find of anything similar is the need to have Default Linux Capabilities or module capability, but I can 't find the option in make menuconfig for the kernel.

I compiled it with USE=dbus gtk gdbm ipv6 kernel_linux mdnsrespnder-compat python

Does anyone have any insight? Or am I stuck doing it manually?

-Thanks!

Last edited by tenspd137 on Wed May 07, 2008 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
igh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: avahi-daemon won't start at boot - can't find fix Reply with quote

tenspd137 wrote:

I am using the 2.6.24-r7 kernel, and avahi-daemon won't start at boot. It keeps giving me the error:
Code:

Timeout reached while waiting for return value
Could not recieve return value from daemon process.
* ERROR: avahi-daemon failed to start

but, when I start it manually with:
Code:

/etc/init.d/avahi-daemon start

it works just fine. The only mention I can find of anything similar is the need to have Default Linux Capabilities or module capability, but I can 't find the option in make menuconfig for the kernel.

I compiled it with USE=dbus gtk gdbm ipv6 kernel_linux mdnsrespnder-compat python

Does anyone have any insight? Or am I stuck doing it manually?
[/quote]

Have you recently done "emerge --sync" and "emerge -vauDN world" or similar? Check out this bug.

BTW, you know it's supposed to be "mdnsresponder-compat" right?
tenspd137
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - this is a fresh install, so I have done emerge --sync and emerge -uavDN world. Also, because I haven't got X up and running yet, I have been using another computer and typing the errors in - pretty tedious - but I am actually using mdnsresponder-compat.

I have also tried going back to 0.6.20-r2 (stable) with no luck.

The bug is not incredibly helpful - after I log in as root, I can start avahi-daemon fine. I have tried reloading dbus - that does not seem to help either.

Do you know where in the log files I would look for more verbose info? That might help me figure out the problem...

Thanks!
tenspd137
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I solved the problem. The computer I am using is on a NIS setup, and it gets the groups from the NIS server. I set metalog to run before the daemon started I noticed that it could not find the avahi group. I must not of put it into the local group files - probably skipped it in a massive dispatch-conf job. Anyway, I just told the init script it needed ypbind and now that starts before avahi-daemon and all is well. Thanks for input!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: