Hp laptops and linux(gentoo)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Osiris_22
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Hp laptops and linux(gentoo) Reply with quote

Im currently thinking about trying gentoo.. I Have a Hp pav ze5250. with an onboard ati vid card.. I used mandrake 9.1 for a wile.. and realised it kept seeing my cd rom and floppy device as an suse and its not lol.. and i couldnt burn cds listen to music or even watch dvds.. i have a cdrw/dvd combo drive.. and also i couldnt use floppies either.. now i understand linux dont really support Ati vid cards so im not expecting to get much use of 3d drivers but what im wanting to do is give linux one more try.. and also with my 2 gig process i figured the I686 arch would be great.. and gentoo is my number one choice.. since mandrake seems to be a joke and well redhat wont probe my monitor.. thats another question will i have to set the values to my monitor my self..?? anyway if someone could give me some info that may help me decide.. Im a windows user and well im bored with it.. you can only learn so much and i have learned quite a bit from using mandrake about installing some files and such.. I understand its not mandrake and its gonna be diffrent.. anyway anyhelp or ideas would be great

Bryan :D
MGMorden
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, ATI video cards are pretty well supported in Linux (I've got three machines all running Ati cards, though only two are Linux boxes. still, I like Ati :)). I've got a laptop from the same series that I just setup Gentoo on, though mine's a Pavilion ze4115. Unfortuneatly, these laptops don't like to play nice with Linux. I could never get Redhat's installer to even boot on mine, and Mandrake would install, but lilo never worked :(. I was able to get Knoppix to run/bootup, but none of the power management stuff or pcmcia worked. I finally tried Gentoo, and it's been pretty decent. It allows you a lot of room to tweak, and plays quite well with home-compiled kernels (good, because to get some stuff to work I had to go to 2.6.0-test1, which doesn't appear to be in portage yet). I've still not got everything going yet though. Because I needed 2.6.0-test1, my touchpad on the laptop isn't currently working, and I can't get iptables to compile (so I'm running without a firewall right now. not a problem because I'm behind a router ATM, but before I put this machine straight onto the net it will have to have a firewall up). pcmcia-cs was also giving some compile troubles with 2.6 but a little tweaking of the sources fixed that up.

Overall, it's a tough one. The hardware support for this laptop isn't really mature in 2.4.x, and 2.6.x still doesn't play nice with a lot of current stuff that hasn't been updated (that's to be expected, it's not officially out yet). Still, Gentoo allows you the most headroomto play around that I've seen (and it's easy to keep up to date with). Good luck, and hopefully you'll get it working well.
sephtin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your ZE4115, were you able to get PCMCIA to work in Gentoo? I don't get beeps, or anything in the logs at all when I insert a pcmcia card :(
MGMorden
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sephtin wrote:
On your ZE4115, were you able to get PCMCIA to work in Gentoo? I don't get beeps, or anything in the logs at all when I insert a pcmcia card :(

Arrggh. :( I just checked and no it doesn't work. It compiled, but doesn't actually do anything. Oh well. I don't really need the system running perfectly for another 3 weeks (then it's back to college). If I don't have it working by then . . . . it's bad, mmmkay? :lol:

BTW sephtim: If you're running 2.6.0-test1, do you happen to have your touchpad working? If so, can you tell me how? The guide for getting the synaptics pad working doesn't seem to work. I got /dev/input/event0 to show up (and that is the pad), but I can't get X to use that :(.
fishhead
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!! Punctuation !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Erm ... sorry ... anyway ....

Gentoo runs just fine on my ze4345. Some of the extra buttons (email, etc) don't work. I haven't tried PCIMCA, or USB. Video works fine with AGP and DRI off, I've heard that often this causes problems - it's not a problem if you don't use 3D acceleration as the Athlon 1800+ I have in mine seems to have enough horsepower to run most of the OpenGL screensavers just fine. I also recomend getting the ACPI patch. There's a lot of good info online about linux on these laptops, so a googling can't hurt. Also HP has support forms and, suprisingly enough there are some linux people on them who are usualy happy to help.

From my XF86config:
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "LCD Monitor"
HorizSync 30-60
VertRefresh 40-75
Option "DPMS"
EndSection
butYMMV.
sephtin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW sephtim: If you're running 2.6.0-test1, do you happen to have your touchpad working? If so, can you tell me how? The guide for getting the synaptics pad working doesn't seem to work. I got /dev/input/event0 to show up (and that is the pad), but I can't get X to use that .

Touchpad: I read SEVERAL posts in this forum about getting the touchpad working with 2.6.x
This being the one that I would try first (I haven't tried the 2.6.x kernel yet)...

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=67852&highlight=synaptics

HTH,
John
mrljt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Gentoo working just fine with a custom HP ze4200 including PCMCIA and decent FPS numbers with the ATI card. In order to get PCMCIA working, I had to add 'irq_list=0' under the PCIC_OPT in /etc/conf.d/pcmcia. I made a website that describes what I did to install Gentoo on my laptop at http://bumbox.net/linuxlaptop

Hope that helps.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: