Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[NEWS] 2008.0_beta2 released
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gli? Reply with quote

EnigmaticSeraph wrote:
Any word on the Gentoo Live Installer? Where is that thing kept, anyway? It'd be nice to be able to track its progress (i.e., via svn or git)...

http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gli/trunk/

EnigmaticSeraph wrote:
but I do ask, is there not a greater and wider pipeline that can be built between the users/community and the "official" Gentoo devs?

Most devs can be found on IRC and through the mailinglists.
Bill Cosby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there some guidance as to how make an usb-boot-stick out of the install CD?
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen several forum threads on making usb-boot sticks. A quick forum search will bring them up. Also I believe there is a wiki with instructions as well.

And there is an official gentoo live-usb howto: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml
cyblord
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really looking forward to 2008.0 being released tomorrow!!!
hadian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about 2008 final release? it was expected to be released some days ago....
arnvidr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh*
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hadian wrote:
what about 2008 final release? it was expected to be released some days ago....

They're working on it. Since the time between the 1st and 2nd betas was about a month, I'd expect at least that long between the 2nd beta and the final release. Beta2 came out on April 29, so I'd expect that the final would be no earlier than the beginning of next month.
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: ppc 2008.0_beta2? Reply with quote

Is there an official location to pick up the 2008.0_beta2 for ppc32?

I checked the "usual places", namely http://bouncer.gentoo.org/fetch/gentoo-2008.0_beta2-minimal/ppc64/ but this just puts you back at the Gentoo home page. I did not find anything on http://torrents.gentoo.org/ or in ppc discussion formum; however, a google on "gentoo 2008.0 ppc" did return a promising hit at http://gentoo.chem.wisc.edu/gentoo/releases/ppc/2008.0_beta2/. Nothing against the great folks at wisc.edu, but is there something more official?

/iMike
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/ppc/2008.0_beta2/installcd/
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that does the trick :D
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qermit wrote:
am i the only one preson who has this problemm with mktemp? or it was in previous beta?

I've just done a full desktop install using the AMD64 Beta2 CD, and was very disappointed to see the mktemp/coreutils upgrade required after the first emerge --sync. People new to Gentoo will get caught unmergeing the wrong one. This has to be fixed before release.

Also the gtk installer didn't work. Don't know why, it said some unknown error, and I didn't have time to fully investigate.

The command-line installer wouldn't let me install over an existing partition scheme. Is this deliberately so to prevent people installing on top of an existing OS?

In the end, I had to use the handbook and do it manually like in the old days :D

Oh...and my new m/b which is a Gigabyte AMD 780G based one failed to start an x-server. Changing the video driver to "vesa" in xorg.conf sorted this.
yuryg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: 2008 Beta 2 DVD a little bit broken Reply with quote

Since a lot of people are posting things here, and there are bugs already posted.

Network use in 2008 b2 - It looks like the developers forgot to include all kernel drivers past the letter M so net drivers as in drivers/net
are totally missing from the DVD.

I am not sure if they are missing from the CD version I have not tried that yet.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excited about the final "release" of 2008.0, but it has been quite some time since the releng progress page has been updated. I agree with the philosophy of it will be released when it is ready, but some status updates might help take the edge off; just an opinion.
radese
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalos wrote:
I'm excited about the final "release" of 2008.0, but it has been quite some time since the releng progress page has been updated. I agree with the philosophy of it will be released when it is ready, but some status updates might help take the edge off; just an opinion.

true, but i'd rather not know when it comes out than know it and have a bad product ;) i'm one of those waiting for 2008.0 to come out to install on the new laptop eheh
theethicalatheist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yeah, it's been over a month since beta2... some updates would be nice. Is it even reasonable to expect a release this month, or next month?
npaust
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Installer Failures Reply with quote

I've been playing around just testing the functionality of the installer on a new machine to see how it works compared to the manual install and I'm kind of shocked to find that it doesn't work at all. (This is using the AMD64 livedvd on a core2 duo machine.) Looking through the forums and bug reports, it doesn't look like the installer works for anyone. Even worse, when people ask for help about the installer, the replies seem to be often quite rude and amount to nothing more than "do a manual install" and get as bad as "maybe Ubuntu is more your speed" or just insult the person asking the question.

Since I haven't seen any posts in my fairly extensive searching saying something like "no, the installer works, you just have to ...", I have to assume that it truly doesn't work at all. If that's the case and no one is interested in making it work, is there a reason to include the installers on the DVD? It seems better to me to leave intentionally defective software off the official release. (After all, we're not trying to recreate the Vista release.)

Is there some solution that I've missed or some particular reason why this is being included?
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Installer Failures Reply with quote

npaust wrote:
Since I haven't seen any posts in my fairly extensive searching saying something like "no, the installer works, you just have to ...", I have to assume that it truly doesn't work at all. If that's the case and no one is interested in making it work, is there a reason to include the installers on the DVD? It seems better to me to leave intentionally defective software off the official release. (After all, we're not trying to recreate the Vista release.)

Is there some solution that I've missed or some particular reason why this is being included?

It has never failed to work for me. It seems to depend on your setup.
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chump wrote:
So yeah, it's been over a month since beta2... some updates would be nice. Is it even reasonable to expect a release this month, or next month?

One of the things delaying the release is trying to figure out why the x86 LiveCD got so huge. The kernel move to 2.6.24 somehow also resulted in a CD image so large that it wasn't actually burnable to a CD. There's also the usual updates of the portage tree snapshot to incorporate security and other fixes.
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth whoever has access spending 5 minutes updating the table on
the releng page (... proj/en/releng/release/2008.0/index.xml) which apparently
hasn't been touched since 1 April. That tends to my first port of call when
checking release status, and keeping it up to date shouldn't be a burden on
the developers. And it would save all the posts in this thread.

Will
juangiordana
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Unnecessary pacakges Reply with quote

dberkholz wrote:
One of the things delaying the release is trying to figure out why the x86 LiveCD got so huge.

I'm not sure if Midnight Commander is on the x86 LiveCD too (I've downloaded 64 bit version). Maybe removing those packages is the way to go.

I love mc, I think having it on the LiveCD is great, but I've been waiting for this release for so long that I preffer to go without it.

mc or any unnecessary pacakge.
CrazyTerabyte
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=7

It says to configure "USB Full HID support" inside USB Support, but in fact it is placed inside HID Devices.

I'm installing Gentoo on my new laptop right now, so expect some more feedback later (in the next hours or the next days).
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in good news, the releng 2008.0 project roadmap was updated! At least we have some idea of what's currently the focus of development. I'm more than willing to wait for a installation disc because I know that the releng team is making it the best that it can be. However, it's scary to not see anything updated because of fear of stagnation. I'm sure I could check planet or something like that, but it's great to see an update on the releng page! Thanks team! :)
cyblord
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoooooooohoooooooooooo!
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's nice to see that this project progress :P
rgk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the 23rd
nice! :D
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: