Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[NEWS] 2008.0_beta2 released
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adewolf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adewolf wrote:
I got the AMD-64 install-live DVD last night for my Hp TX1410US (AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-64(2.20GHz), 2GB RAM, 250GB SATA, 12" touch screen, Nvidia GO 6150 with 128MB shared VRAM, Nvidia MCP51 sound, Broadcom 4328 802.11a/b/g/n wireless, Nvidia MPC51 ethernet). The live DVD boots and runs fine, it finds everything except the wireless BCM 4328, which I expected. I ran the graphic installer after partitioning the SATA drive (4 GB swap, 200MB ext2 /boot, the remainder reiserfs /) it fails:
"exception received during 'Umpack stage tarball'; CopyPackageToChrootError :FATAL: copy_pkg_to_chroot: Could not execute pkg_setup for"

What is the manual way to install?

Thanks
Alex

Is there a work-around for this?
tatotato
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a thread for asking such a question, post in the install forum.

You'll probably get answers in volume there.
adewolf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatotato wrote:
This is not a thread for asking such a question, post in the install forum.

You'll probably get answers in volume there.

Thanks
duby2291
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I wasnt sure were to ask this question, but I figure this is as good as any place. What kernel does this 2008.0_beta2 LiveCD use? And if it is 2.6.24 does it have the new realtek wifi driver built as a module?

The reason why I'm asking is becouse I have a Netgear WG111v2 It uses a realtek rtl8180 chipset that is supported by the newest kernel, but not the older ones. So I was just wondering if the kernel is 2.6.24, and if so does it have the realtek wifi driver built as a module?
sPHERE911
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it possible to use the vesa driver instead of the broken nv driver?
Hum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what cpu was the livecd kernel compiled with? I'm running on a pentium-m banias and it's giving me "This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU: 0:6 Unable to boot- please use a kernel appropriate for your cpu"
tatotato
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it uses 2.6.25.
Hum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've managed to get the minimal livecd to boot when i threw it on my usbkey. it's running .24-r5.
spacetracer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the hardware requrements for the i686?
I get the same error with "Gentoo 2008.0_beta2 LiveDVD" and "Gentoo 2008.0_beta2 LiveCD"
like Hum: "This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU: 0:6 Unable to boot- please use a kernel appropriate for your cpu"
My Hardware is a Celeron M and I thought it is an i686
Hum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since i'm not the only one i posted a bug report.
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=220058
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you sure you aren't trying to boot the amd64 livecd instead of the 686?
Hum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep. Checked the md5s on the images too and they checked out. I replaced the kernels on the livecd from the minimal livecd and it's ok (go figure :)) .. but apparently i'm missing the ipw2100 driver so i can't go much further.
bunkacid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: lvm support? Reply with quote

Is there a reason why lvm is not included with the LiveCD?

Also I wrote a quick HOWTO LiveUSB Key to mitigate the lack of 800mb CD's and up to date LiveUSB documentation.
herzogsbuick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: me too, unable to boot, wrong kernel for pentium m cpu ? Reply with quote

spacetracer wrote:
I get the same error with "Gentoo 2008.0_beta2 LiveDVD" and "Gentoo 2008.0_beta2 LiveCD"
like Hum: "This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU: 0:6 Unable to boot- please use a kernel appropriate for your cpu"

Ya, minimal 2008.0_beta2 boots on my Pentium M, however the portly LiveCD will not, I get the same error you do. And, I had to burn it to a DVD to find out. I've been using linux for around a decade now but never really participated (never wanted to piss people off with redundancy), but I'mma go see if anyone else filed a bug for this and if not, pop the proverbial cherry.

Has anyone had any problems with the LiveDVD beta2? If not I'll give that a whirl and report, over and out.

A Squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag...is fast n bulbous, Got Me?
Hum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: me too, unable to boot, wrong kernel for pentium m cpu ? Reply with quote

herzogsbuick wrote:
spacetracer wrote:

Ya, minimal 2008.0_beta2 boots on my Pentium M, however the portly LiveCD will not, I get the same error you do. And, I had to burn it to a DVD to find out. I've been using linux for around a decade now but never really participated (never wanted to piss people off with redundancy), but I'mma go see if anyone else filed a bug for this and if not, pop the proverbial cherry.

Has anyone had any problems with the LiveDVD beta2? If not I'll give that a whirl and report, over and out.

After some googling I've figure out why it's happening.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=220058#c8
herzogsbuick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: me too, unable to boot, wrong kernel for pentium m cpu ? Reply with quote

Hum wrote:

As a Public Service, I'll try to sum this up, as I understand it (though I hope I'm wrong!):

For those whose processors lack PAE support ("Flags:" from cat /proc/cpuinfo should tell you, though if you've got a VIA cpu or my Pentium M with 400mhz FSB...you don't), you cannot run the LiveCD iso unless its kernel is recompiled without HIGHMEM64G enabled.

A Squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag...is fast n bulbous, Got Me?
gordonp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I torrented the 2008.0-beta2 i686 (32-bit) LiveDVD .iso, and K3b'd it to a DVD. It passed MD5-checking, so I believe it to be OK...

On my older A7V333 box (XP2400+, 2GB DDR, 3Ware controller with 2x 500GB IDE RAID-1, booting produces this result:

Code:
>>Loading Modules
    :: Scanning for usbhid...cat: can't open '/lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r5/modules.dep': No such file or directory
    :: Scanning for ieee1394..cat:  can't open '/lib'modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r5/modules.dep': No such file or directory

<...and a gazillion similar repetitions, flowing off my screen for many minutes...>

Of course, my super-rare Intel e1000 NIC won't come up, so installation is pretty much impossible. Later in the process, my C-Media audio is correctly identified (Yay), but ther are no Also modules to be found :-( so that, and lots of other things, don't work. Interestingly, lsmod shows that 39 other modules *are* correctly loaded :?: Even *knowing* that this box uses the e1000 module, I cannot manually modprobe it:

Code:
livecd root # modprobe e1000
FATAL: Module e1000 not found.

As a point-of-reference, 2007.0 boots beautifully on this same box, modprobes all the necessary things, and is ready-to-go in a reasonable manner. What I have now (2008.0-beta2 i686 LiveDVD) is unusable...

-GordP
Hum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: me too, unable to boot, wrong kernel for pentium m cpu ? Reply with quote

herzogsbuick wrote:
Hum wrote:

As a Public Service, I'll try to sum this up, as I understand it (though I hope I'm wrong!):

For those whose processors lack PAE support ("Flags:" from cat /proc/cpuinfo should tell you, though if you've got a VIA cpu or my Pentium M with 400mhz FSB...you don't), you cannot run the LiveCD iso unless its kernel is recompiled without HIGHMEM64G enabled.

Yep, you got it right.

Quote:

I torrented the 2008.0-beta2 i686 (32-bit) LiveDVD .iso, and K3b'd it to a DVD. It passed MD5-checking, so I believe it to be OK...

On my older A7V333 box (XP2400+, 2GB DDR, 3Ware controller with 2x 500GB IDE RAID-1, booting produces this result:

Code:

>>Loading Modules
    :: Scanning for usbhid...cat: can't open '/lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r5/modules.dep': No such file or directory
    :: Scanning for ieee1394..cat:  can't open '/lib'modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r5/modules.dep': No such file or directory

<...and a gazillion similar repetitions, flowing off my screen for many minutes...>

Of course, my super-rare Intel e1000 NIC won't come up, so installation is pretty much impossible. Later in the process, my C-Media audio is correctly identified (Yay), but ther are no Also modules to be found :-( so that, and lots of other things, don't work. Interestingly, lsmod shows that 39 other modules *are* correctly loaded :?: Even *knowing* that this box uses the e1000 module, I cannot manually modprobe it:

Code:

livecd root # modprobe e1000
FATAL: Module e1000 not found.

As a point-of-reference, 2007.0 boots beautifully on this same box, modprobes all the necessary things, and is ready-to-go in a reasonable manner. What I have now (2008.0-beta2 i686 LiveDVD) is unusable...

-GordP

Yeah, i noticed missing modules as well. I'm missing the ipw2100 driver for my wireless.
V-Li
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have those module failures been reported?
qermit
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

am i the only one preson who has this problemm with mktemp? or it was in previous beta?
wildhorse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Installer, waste of disk space Reply with quote

How about removing the two Installer versions? Seriously, the GUI version cannot produce more than one custom entry in the harddisk partition table. I had to do it all myself by hand. I just increased the size of the pagefile ("swap" partition). After doing the dirty work with fdisk, I found that the new devices for the partitions were missing. Rebooting fixed that. Then I still had to use mkfs - not that mkfs.ext3 for example would be found via the environment variable PATH (/mnt/livecd/sbin is not listed). Finally I tried to call the Installer again. First the GUI version, then the VT100 version. Both fail at the beginning because pkg_setup (sp?) is missing. Am I too pessimistic?
kureikain
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo 2007 is still exist many many bugs!
Gentoo 2008 was released!
Moreover, live CD of x86 arch is bigger 800MB!
I ask myself how it fit on the one cd!
cyblord
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sooo.. any word when 2008.0 is coming out?
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyblord wrote:
sooo.. any word when 2008.0 is coming out?

When it's ready.
EnigmaticSeraph
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Gli? Reply with quote

Any word on the Gentoo Live Installer? Where is that thing kept, anyway? It'd be nice to be able to track its progress (i.e., via svn or git)...

On a different note, the wait for 2008.0 and various other Gentoo projects has been depressing... it shows how overworked, understaffed, and strained the Gentoo devs are (if not also some possible lack of organization). I don't wish to set aflame the worries that (I'm sure) everyone has in the backs of their minds, but I do ask, is there not a greater and wider pipeline that can be built between the users/community and the "official" Gentoo devs? More communication would certainly lay problems bare for a whole host of people to tackle, not to mention quell insecurities and worries.

(Perhaps this would've been better formed in 2 posts? ^^; )
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: