Wine theming - make wine apps look more integrated
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devport
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Wine theming - make wine apps look more integrated Reply with quote

Maybe this one is not too well known : You can use Windows msstyles themes in wine - for instance there are several clearlooks themes at deviantart which resemble the gtk theme somewhat.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine#head-279f34bba751d503ca51cbb595f9726e69a4d01a

Quote:
Using Theme/Skins

Wine has basic handling for Windows theme/skin files in the "msstyles" format. There is a large number of these themes on [WWW] Deviant Art. To use these you must make a folder in Wine's virtual Windows drive, then tell Wine to use the theme.

Firstly go into Wine's virtual drive, which is usually ".wine/drive_c" in your Home folder (this is hidden, you may need to select View->Show Hidden Files in the file manager). Inside this folder go into the "windows" folder then make a new folder in there called "Resources". Enter this new folder and make a new folder called "Themes". Inside here you should make a folder for each theme you want, and put the files ending in ".msstyles" directly into them. For example, the full path to a theme file called sample.msstyles might be "/home/username/.wine/drive_c/windows/Resources/Themes/Sample/sample.msstyles".

Next you need to tell Wine to use your theme, so run winecfg. In the configuration window select the tab "Desktop Integration" and check out the "Theme:" box, which should now have your theme in it's menu. After selecting the theme click "Apply" at the bottom to see how it looks (they don't always display properly), then if you are happy click "OK" and you are done.
marrowhk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, themes do spice things up a bit but there's a cost in wine's responsiveness in my limited experience.

My system has the Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller, so it may not be an issue with better graphics cards, but wine slowed down to a crawl when i installed themes. :cry:
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marrowhk wrote:
Yes, themes do spice things up a bit but there's a cost in wine's responsiveness in my limited experience.

My system has the Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller, so it may not be an issue with better graphics cards, but wine slowed down to a crawl when i installed themes. :cry:

Yes. It's unusable. Unless you just like to watch a beautiful winecfg window.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: