Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panik08
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which stage3? The 2008.0 one?
and then emerge -DuNtav world?
Sorry for having to ask these basic stuff, but I really want stuff to work again and not mess it up any more.
panik08
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, re-emerge whole system... how do I do that?
Sodki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentleman wrote:
Okay but I am missing a last answer, yet. How can I reach that
Code:
equery depends mktemp
shows the current configuration. This is, debianutils requires mktemp, but it should require coreutils I think. Re-Emerging doesn't bring the effect, even unmerging debianutils and merge it new has no effect. So what to do?

You might say a running system does not require such a resolute cleanup, but I don't want any risks on this system.

Equery is doing it's job allright. If you check the ebuild, debianutils depends on either coreutils OR mktemp. So yes, mktemp is a dependency of debianutils, even though you don't have to install mktemp to install debianutils.
panik08
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, stuff are getting better, but still this:

/usr/lib/portage/bin/filter-bash-environment.py: line 8: egrep_compat_map: command not found
/usr/lib/portage/bin/filter-bash-environment.py: line 9: [:alnum:]: command not found
/usr/lib/portage/bin/filter-bash-environment.py: line 10: [:space:]: command not found
/usr/lib/portage/bin/filter-bash-environment.py: line 11: syntax error near unexpected token `}'
/usr/lib/portage/bin/filter-bash-environment.py: line 11: `}'

Don't know how to fix it. I get it when running emerge so stuff doesn't get emerged.
Anyone knows what is broken here? Can I get portage to ignore all kind of errors? It complains about

--------------------------- ACCESS VIOLATION SUMMARY ---------------------------
LOG FILE = "/var/log/sandbox/sandbox-16103.log"

open_wr: /root/sys

since it tries to do
import os, re, sys

and that is interpreted as the imagemagic command.
gentleman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok thanks. Though I think the sense seems a little bit confusing.

After unmerging debianutils
Code:
equery depends mktemp
debianutils is not listed anymore. After reinstalling debianutils it is listed again on
Code:
equery depends mktemp
though mktemp is not installed. Ok but I think that is advantageous in a way, too. So I know which dependencies could exist. May be useful, though in most cases I want to know which dependencies are "hard" and may not be broken.
panik08
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems it was the file /usr/bin/env that was messed up.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-688104.html
panik08
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still problem with emerging coreutils
any ideas?

* Running autoheader ... [ ok ]
* Running automake --add-missing --copy ... [ !! ]

* Failed Running automake !
* Include in your bugreport the contents of:
* /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r1/temp/automake-31105.out

* ERROR: sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r1 failed.
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 49: Called src_unpack
* environment, line 2851: Called eautoreconf
* environment, line 941: Called eautomake
* environment, line 915: Called autotools_run_tool 'src_unpack' 'src_unpack' 'automake'
* environment, line 416: Called die
* The specific snippet of code:
* die "Failed Running $1 !";
* The die message:
* If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
* A complete build log is located at '/var/log/portage/sys-apps:coreutils-6.10-r1:20080420-091648.log'.
* The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r1/temp/environment'.
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same problem, waited for this thread before removing mktemp (solved)
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had this too!

Thanks for the fix confirmation! :)
coolsnowmen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panik08 wrote:
Still problem with emerging coreutils
any ideas?

I'ld reemerge
Quote:

>=sys-devel/automake-1.10.1
>=sys-devel/autoconf-2.61
>=sys-devel/m4-1.4-r1"

and what are your coreutils useflags?
and can you successfully emerge anything else?

EDIT
Quote:
Just download a stage3 tarball and unpack it in /, then re-emerge the whole system to get it updated again.

That would work, but a but unnecessary when you know the exact offending package.
Edit2: On second thought, below poster is more right. That is a pretty bad idea. Especially if stage has differing toolchain versions, very bad things can happen.

Last edited by coolsnowmen on Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taladar wrote:
Just download a stage3 tarball and unpack it in /, then re-emerge the whole system to get it updated again.
Do not unpack a stage 3 over an existing system, it leaves the resulting system in an inconsistent state. If a system is damaged badly enough to warrant similar action it should be reinstalled.

Edit: Made topic sticky.
ashsama
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
Download the package appropriate for the architecture of the system from tinderbox, unpack it into the root directory, then reinstall the package.

That worked great for me, thanks guys, probably saved me alot of effort and strange solutions....
Then an emerge update on util-linux before the emerge update on coreutils, then onward to emerge update portage,
now it's healty again.... :)
Cheers
kepik_k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is relevant to this post, but I did find out that during the emerge -uavD world to satisfy a Block on coreutils I had to unmerge both mktemp and util-linux. The consequences to unmerging util-linux was a deletion of /bin/mount.
All of this worked great until emerge got the step of upgrading grub, it reported a failure to mount /boot, and asked user to mount /boot manually. Well that was how I found my mistake:

Code:

kepik@manis ~ $ mount -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /boot
-bash: mount: command not found

kepik@manis ~ $ which mount
which: no mount in (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/i586-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.1.2:/usr/i586-pc-linux-gnu/i686-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.2.2)

So after retracing the update steps util-linux stood out as a New install, emerged it separately and viola we have /bin/mount again. The trick is not to try and reboot the machine prior to re-installing util-linux. Hope this helps someone
Tuxenstein
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Can't emerge anything properly--stty error messages--Help! Reply with quote

I tried to remove some of the blocked packages listed, with the following messages attached:

Quote:
[blocks B ] app-crypt/gnupg (is blocking app-crypt/gnupg-1.9.21)
[blocks B ] <=app-crypt/gnupg-2.0.1 (is blocking app-crypt/gnupg-2.0.9)
[blocks B ] >=sys-apps/coreutils-6.10 (is blocking sys-apps/mktemp-1.5)
[blocks B ] <dev-libs/boost-1.34.0 (is blocking dev-util/boost-build-1.34.1)
[blocks B ] sys-apps/mktemp (is blocking sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r2

I was able to remove gnupg, but once it got to coreutils and mktemp, I couldn't seem to remove either of them (and got an error message with boost). With mktemp, I got the following message:

* The 'prerm' phase of the 'sys-apps/mktemp-1.5' package has failed with
* exit value -1. The problem occurred while executing the ebuild located
* at '/var/db/pkg/sys-apps/mktemp-1.5/mktemp-1.5.ebuild'. If necessary,
* manually remove the ebuild in order to skip the execution of removal
* phases.

However, what's of concern is that anytime I've tried to emerge anything at all (including coreutils), I get the following message at the tail end and it fails to build:

portage_exception.CommandNotFound: stty

I still have access to my system via the GUI (albeit, much of the Gnome menu is basically inaccessible as is KDE--except Konqueror, which I'm having to use to type this--and most of my apps) and, obviously, I can access my shell and still have it up, but logging in and out again really isn't an option given what I've seen so far anymore than rebooting appears to be--especially as I don't happen to have a LiveCD at the moment (and can't burn one either). I've asked someone to burn a copy for me, but it may be a week before I actually get it. :(

If someone knows of a way for me to fix this, I'd greatly appeciate the help!

Edited to add: I did read the sticky above and have also tried to download/copy the coreutils tarball off one of the sites that was linked to, however, it's not allowing me to copy stty into the /bin (I keep getting an error message claiming it can't locate the command--it's the same with attempting to do a mv to it). Trying to use either ls and dir are equally useless to even try and view them in the command line. :(
markp2000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if you do remove mktemp DO NOT REBOOT. I lost the ability for nameserver resolution which prevented any further emerging.

Here is how I fixed it. Although it was mentioned before by downloading from tinderbox.

1. Boot using minimal install cd

2. Mount hard disk partition that root is on under /mnt/gentoo
Code:

mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/gentoo

3. Change to /mnt/gentoo
Code:

cd /mnt/gentoo

4. wget the file from tinderbox
Code:

wget http://tinderbox.dev/gentoo.org/default-linux/x86/sys-apps/mktemp-1.5.tbz2

5. Reboot and remove the minimal install cd

6. untar the mktemp file
Code:

tar xvjpf mktemp-1.5.tbz2

7. Reboot the system again.

All should be back to normal.

I hope this helps someone.

Mark
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged a post.

In a remaining root session:
cd /
tar xvvjf /usr/portage/packages/All/coreutils-6.10-r1.tbz2 ./bin/cp ./bin/mount ./bin/mv ./bin/stty ./bin/ls
Make appropriate adjustments for the path to the tarball.

Reinstalling sys-apps/mktemp only reinstates the problem.
Tuxenstein
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, it seems I can't remove mktemp (although, I don't want to risk rebooting just in case...), but as I presently don't have access to a Live or rescue CD of any type, it may have to wait until I can find someone who can make me one. :(
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If both sys-apps/mktemp and sys-apps/coreutils, prior to version 6.10-r1, are installed, run the following commands in the order given.
Code:
emerge -avo1 sys-apps/coreutils
env FEATURES="-collision-protect" emerge -avO1 sys-apps/coreutils
emerge -C sys-apps/mktemp
Including buildpkg or buildsyspkg in the value of FEATURES in the second command would be appropriate if that feature is in use on that system.
Tuxenstein
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coreutils appears to have definitely been removed from my system, :oops: but in checking /bin, mktemp still appears to be there (nor could I try and remove it if I wanted to for the same reason I also can't emerge anything--although, given the current situation, I'm not so sure I'd want to try and remove it even if I could...).

On a related note, if/when I might finally get access to a Live CD and can copy over stty into /bin, would I get stuck in this same mess all over again? Or is there some way for me to avoid it and still be able to update everything I need to (including mktemp and coreutils)?
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuxenstein wrote:
Coreutils appears to have definitely been removed from my system, :oops: but in checking /bin, mktemp still appears to be there (nor could I try and remove it if I wanted to for the same reason I also can't emerge anything--although, given the current situation, I'm not so sure I'd want to try and remove it even if I could...).
Believe it or not, sys-apps/mktemp should be retired, removed, deleted, or otherwise made to be no longer installed on the system, it just needs to be done with appropriate care and perhaps a bit of cheating.
Tuxenstein wrote:
Or is there some way for me to avoid it and still be able to update everything I need to (including mktemp and coreutils)?
If you still have an existing root session, working copies of tar, bzip2 and (perhaps optionally) wget, you can actually avoid using a live CD entirely while still fixing the system properly.
Like so:
wget -P $PKGDIR http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/default-linux/$ARCH/sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r2.tbz2
tar -C / -xvjf $PKGDIR/coreutils-6.10-r2.tbz2
env FEATURES="-collision-protect" emerge -1KO '=sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r2'
emerge -avo1 sys-apps/coreutils
env FEATURES="-collision-protect" emerge -avO1 sys-apps/coreutils
emerge -C sys-apps/mktemp
Replacing $ARCH with the appropriate architecture and $PKGDIR with the full path of the directory in which you system would, or does, store pre-built packages. Note that if you already use either buildpkg or buildsyspkg in FEATURES or the -b (--buildpkg) or B (--buildpkgonly) options of emerge, you should skip the wget step and use the packages already present on the system by adjusting the version specifications as appropriate.
Tuxenstein
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is going to sound like an incredibly stupid question, but a previous post made by someone earlier as well as your last post has me curious about this. What exactly does mktemp actually do and why, based upon a previous comment (which also gives me another reason as to why I don't think I want to try and find out "the hard way"), would it basically "hose" my install? Going by the initials, I'm assuming the mk stands for "make" as in "make temp"?

Also, regarding root access, the "best" I can currently do is being able to log in as su through the shell--which I know isn't quite the same thing as being logged in as root, itself, and from what I remember (and I could be wrong about this?), it's not really possible to somehow switch over to root, itself, through the command line?

In terms of packages, as far as I'm consciously aware, I'm not using either the --buildpkg or --buildpkgonly options when I emerge (in fact, I don't think I've ever used them nor was even aware of them). I'm also not entirely certain, however, as to where my system would store pre-build packages. :oops:
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuxenstein wrote:
What exactly does mktemp actually do and why, based upon a previous comment (which also gives me another reason as to why I don't think I want to try and find out "the hard way"), would it basically "hose" my install?
Ideally, the package which used to provide it would be removed after the package which now provides it was installed, but the system should remain sufficiently functional to install the replacement without having it present.
Tuxenstein wrote:
Going by the initials, I'm assuming the mk stands for "make" as in "make temp"?
Correct, man 1 mktemp has the details.
Tuxenstein wrote:
Also, regarding root access, the "best" I can currently do is being able to log in as su through the shell--which I know isn't quite the same thing as being logged in as root, itself, and from what I remember (and I could be wrong about this?), it's not really possible to somehow switch over to root, itself, through the command line?
That is quite good enough, su - allows any sufficiently privileged user to take on the capabilities of the root user.
Tuxenstein wrote:
I'm also not entirely certain, however, as to where my system would store pre-build packages. :oops:
By default, the packages would be stored in /usr/portage/packages/All/.
Tuxenstein
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Nautilus (as I can't view any directories using the command line), I just checked under usr/portage and while I can see the directories listed by category, I didn't see a directory labeled "packages" and therefore none called "All". However, in looking at my sys-apps directory, I am seeing some coreutils files (specifically, I see an XML file labeled "manifest", a directory labeled "files", another file labeled "manifest" and ebuilds for coreutils, including both the version I had as well as 6.10-r (and maybe strangely, I'm seeing 6.11 listed?).

When I get a chance to later on today, I'll see about trying out the steps you provided and am assuming that in place of $PKGDIR, I would type the path in (given what I've just seen of the above) as /usr/portage/sys-apps/coreutils?

Edited to add, I just tried running wget and then to untar coreutils and placing them into /usr/portage/sys-apps/coreutils, however, for whatever reason, I can't seem to run the command: env FEATURES="-collision-protect" emerge -1KO '=sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r2' as it creates the following error message: emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "=sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r2".
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuxenstein wrote:
Using Nautilus (as I can't view any directories using the command line), I just checked under usr/portage and while I can see the directories listed by category, I didn't see a directory labeled "packages" and therefore none called "All".
Which indicates that either PKGDIR is set to a different directory, or that the features I mentioned before have not been used on that system, or that they have and the directory was subsequently moved or deleted.
Tuxenstein wrote:
However, in looking at my sys-apps directory, I am seeing some coreutils files (specifically, I see an XML file labeled "manifest", a directory labeled "files", another file labeled "manifest" and ebuilds for coreutils, including both the version I had as well as 6.10-r (and maybe strangely, I'm seeing 6.11 listed?).
You have found the ebuilds and associated files which document how the package has been maintained and allow portage to manage the installation of sys-apps/coreutils, information collected as part of the installation process is used when removing installed packages.
Tuxenstein wrote:
When I get a chance to later on today, I'll see about trying out the steps you provided and am assuming that in place of $PKGDIR, I would type the path in (given what I've just seen of the above) as /usr/portage/sys-apps/coreutils?
While it might make organizational sense to keep the ebuilds and any packages resulting from their use together in a single directory, they are stored separately. As such, check whether PKGDIR is set by running emerge --info | grep PKGDIR. If that indicates that PKGDIR is set, use that path in place of /usr/portage/packages and check for the presence of a subdirectory named All, creating it if it is absent. Otherwise create /usr/portage/packages/ and /usr/portage/packages/All/. Then place the package which you downloaded from tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org into that directory and continue as I described previously.
Tuxenstein wrote:
Edited to add, I just tried running wget and then to untar coreutils and placing them into /usr/portage/sys-apps/coreutils, however, for whatever reason, I can't seem to run the command: env FEATURES="-collision-protect" emerge -1KO '=sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r2' as it creates the following error message: emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "=sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r2".
That is due to the portage not finding the package where it expects it to be, if the package is placed where it can be found it can be installed.
Tuxenstein
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran emerge --info | grep PKGDIR and it came up as telling me /usr/portage/packages--however, I don't have a packages directory (Nautilus isn't showing it and when I attempted to get into it through the command line--after attempting to view it in the command line--it wasn't there), so I went ahead and created the directory as well as a directory within it called All.

Also, someone suggested to me to look in the distfiles directory and I did notice a number of archives listed there, but I'm assuming it's also different?

Regardless, after downloading and untarring the file in the newly-created packages/All directory (in /usr/portage), I ran env FEATURES="-collision-protect" emerge -1KO '=sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r2' and it appeared to "take", but when I tried to run emerge -avo1 sys-apps/coreutils, it came up with this:

Quote:
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB

Nothing to merge; would you like to auto-clean packages? [Yes/No]

Is that supposed to happen?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: