Joined: 12 May 2004
|Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:26 pm Post subject: [ GLSA 200804-10 ] Tomcat: Multiple vulnerabilities
|Gentoo Linux Security Advisory
Title: Tomcat: Multiple vulnerabilities (GLSA 200804-10)
Exploitable: local, remote
Date: April 10, 2008
Updated: May 28, 2009
Bug(s): #196066, #203169
Multiple vulnerabilities in Tomcat may lead to local file overwriting, session hijacking or information disclosure.
Tomcat is the Apache Jakarta Project's official implementation of Java Servlets and Java Server Pages.
Vulnerable: < 6.0.16
Unaffected: >= 5.5.26 < 5.5.27
Unaffected: >= 6.0.16
Unaffected: >= 5.5.27 < 5.5.28
Architectures: All supported architectures
The following vulnerabilities were reported:
- Delian Krustev discovered that the JULI logging component does not properly enforce access restrictions, allowing web application to add or overwrite files (CVE-2007-5342).
- When the native APR connector is used, Tomcat does not properly handle an empty request to the SSL port, which allows remote attackers to trigger handling of a duplicate copy of one of the recent requests (CVE-2007-6286).
- If the processing or parameters is interrupted, i.e. by an exception, then it is possible for the parameters to be processed as part of later request (CVE-2008-0002).
- An absolute path traversal vulnerability exists due to the way that WebDAV write requests are handled (CVE-2007-5461).
- Tomcat does not properly handle double quote (") characters or %5C (encoded backslash) sequences in a cookie value, which might cause sensitive information such as session IDs to be leaked to remote attackers and enable session hijacking attacks (CVE-2007-5333).
These vulnerabilities can be exploited by:
- a malicious web application to add or overwrite files with the permissions of the user running Tomcat.
- a remote attacker to conduct session hijacking or disclose sensitive data.
There is no known workaround at this time.
All Tomcat 5.5.x users should upgrade to the latest version:
All Tomcat 6.0.x users should upgrade to the latest version:
|# emerge --sync
# emerge --ask --oneshot --verbose ">=www-servers/tomcat-5.5.26"
|# emerge --sync
# emerge --ask --oneshot --verbose ">=www-servers/tomcat-6.0.16"
Last edited by GLSA on Fri May 29, 2009 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total