Tunneling ftp WITHOUT having to run as root...How?[Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jserink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Tunneling ftp WITHOUT having to run as root...How?[Solved] Reply with quote

Hi All:

I have a windows 2003 server box that I remotely administer with TVNC over ssh. I need to have file transfer capability so I want to have ftp 20 and 21 going over the ssh tunnel. I have 2 problems:
1. The ftp tunnel only works if I run ssh as root since the ftp ports are below 1023,
2. I can get ftp transfers to work. the MSftp server is tossing the data port up to a random port.

Anyone know how to make this work?

Cheers,
John

Last edited by jserink on Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first solution that comes to mind is to change methods. Why not use net-misc/rdesktop to access the server over RDP? That will allow you to map a drive letter on the server to a directory on the rdesktop client, and may have better performance than VNC as well.

Also, where is the sshd running? Your post makes it sound like you are using a Linux ssh client and a Windows ssh server. If so, you could just use scp or sftp directly to the ssh server and cut out FTP entirely.
jserink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Got it working Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
The first solution that comes to mind is to change methods. Why not use net-misc/rdesktop to access the server over RDP? That will allow you to map a drive letter on the server to a directory on the rdesktop client, and may have better performance than VNC as well.

Also, where is the sshd running? Your post makes it sound like you are using a Linux ssh client and a Windows ssh server. If so, you could just use scp or sftp directly to the ssh server and cut out FTP entirely.

Hi Hu:

I got it sorted.
First, I downloaded FileZilla onto the MS 2003 box, shut down the MSftpsvc, set it to demand start and brought up filezilla,
Set fileailla to work at 17050 rather than 21.
Set it for passive ftp and to use 17000-17003 for data transfers.
Just need to use the -p switch with theh ftp client to get it going, works great.

I'm using freesshd on the windows box. I need to work on using sftp as you have suggested. RDP is somehting I will also have to sort out as well.

Cheers,
John
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: