ThinkPad Z61p thermal sensor readings / temperatures
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkeye
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: ThinkPad Z61p thermal sensor readings / temperatures Reply with quote

I just emerged the sensors-applet, and compiled the thinkpad-related ACPI kernel modules, and now I'm looking at my temperature readings with some surprise. It seems that the GPU on my Z61p (an ATI FireGL V5200) has a temperature range between 75 - 110 degrees Celsius. well, that's quite high :)

according to the reading it 's regularly between 75-80 during normal operations, and it shoots up to over 100 when running 3D intensive applications, like 3D games.

I wonder if either the reading is incorrect, and needs calibration, or indeed my system is overheating badly. if so, what can be done about it? is there a way to downscale the GPU so that it doesn't heat up that bad? are there provisions to somehow improve the heating of the laptop?
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find the fan's air outlet, and blow some canned air, effectively back-flushing the cooling fins for your CPU's fan/heat sink combo. Use a paintbrush or toothbrush to clean the air inlet, and blow it out as well. Also make absolutely sure that nothing interferes with the airflow under the machine. The more papers you have on the desk, the more likely you are to have one of them cover the air intake.

When you're done, retest. If the temp goes down, then there was some dust in there. If not, and the system operates normally, you could assume it to be an inaccuracy. If it's new enough, have it checked under warranty.

Blessed be!
Pappy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: