[Cleared] KDE's device manager can't unmount media
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manko10
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: [Cleared] KDE's device manager can't unmount media Reply with quote

Hi,

recently I upgraded to KDE 4.5.0 and am now encountering problems with KDE's device manager which I didn't have before (not even with KDE 4.4.90 which was the KDE 4.5.0 pre-release). When I plug in a device be it an USB stick, a DVD or whatever KDE notifies me that I've connected an external device. So far so good. KDE can also mount this device to /media as it should. But here comes the issue: I can't unmount this device anymore (for optical devices it's even regardless of whether I actually mounted the device, ejecting is impossible).
I always get the message "Could not unmount/eject the following device: DEVICE_NAME One or more files on this device are open within an application".
But this error messages is obviously wrong since there are no open files on this device (as shown by lsof and fuser) and a normal umount as root from the console works. I also deleted the hidden .hal-* files in /media what had already solved a similar problem in the past but also that didn't help.
The last few days I googled excessively for a solution and I actually could find some related topics with this specific error message but no solution so far. Maybe you could help me. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

p.s. I didn't post this under Multimedia because in my opinion this is more related to KDE itself than to multimedia since it affects external devices at all as well as KDE's device management. If you don't agree please move this topic.

Last edited by Manko10 on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Manko10
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, seems not to be an issue with HAL but with my account's user preferences or some user specific misconfiguration. I created a new user profile and there it works.
I also noticed that on the "misconfigured" user profile devices are automatically mounted albeit automounting is disabled. The notifier should only do it's job as notifier, nothing more. So the issue might be that some other service claims and mounts the device before HAL takes action, maybe gvfs? I have already encountered some abnormalities with the ~/.gvfs/ folder when an external volume is inserted.
The message KDE gives also seems to be misleading. The correct message is
Quote:
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure: Cannot open /media/.hal-mtab
and when I manually add .hal-mtab it's
Quote:
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.NotMountedByHal: Device to unmount is not in /media/.hal-mtab so it is not mounted by HAL
Which is not astonishing because that file is still empty. This weird automount service does not care about this file therefore it's not HAL which mounts the device. But when I want to unmount it with Dolphin or the Device Notifier Plasmoid HAL is called which creates the lock file /media/.hal-mtab-lock but then, surprise, surprise, notices that it can't unmount since some other service has done the mounting.

For this reason my next researches will concentrate on which service does the mounting and how to stop it. I'll report here for anyone else having this issue.
john.p
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Manko10

I've just found exactly the same problem, I know its not ideal but I found that the devices can just be unmounted by just un-mounting through the terminal. I've just installed gentoo for the first time the other day, so I probably won't be much help. I had unmount problems in Gnome too and it was a problem with a kernel module not being selected. The module apparently needed was the Config-USB-suspend module. Though when i went to recompile my kernel with this module I couldn't find it :s so I'm not sure.

Regards
John
Manko10
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi john.p

thanks! But as I wrote this shouldn't be a Kernel problem. The only thing that could be is that fuse acts up but I don't believe it. A normal umount on the console works fine but HAL unmount as normal user doesn't work on my current user account but with a new profile it actually works. Thus I could create a new KDE profile but then I loose all my settings. So I'm still searching for a solution without creating a new profile.
Manko10
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I backed up those settings I need, remvoved the ~/.kde4 folder to get a fresh KDE profile because there were also some other things which didn't work properly. KDE seems to have some profile related issues after upgrades. But now it's working. I also copied the fresh profile to /etc/skel so that on the one hand I have a backup for situations like this and on the other hand new users will always get my pre-configured KDE.
So I still don't now why another service hooked in to automount my volumes (I think it was gvfs) but the quick'n'dirty solution is to just create a new KDE profile by moving/deleting the .kde4 folder.

Thanks anyway, this topic cleared.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Desktop Environments to Unsupported Software.

Belongs in Unsupported Software, for the same reasons the other KDE 4.5 topics are there: KDE 4.5 is not and will not be in Portage, not until 4.5.1 at the earliest.[/quote]

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: