Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Unofficial minimal 2008.0 for x86/amd64 w/reiser4+truecrypt
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neo2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep but... they're way too unstable :)
I'll look for that anyway. Next release is expected for about ~3rd week of December ~1st week of January. Thus, there's still some more time to see how things develop :)
Spaulding
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help u with this stage... Just write to me (jabber/pm/mail?) i can give hosting(shell account with www).
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all: GREEEEAAAAT work! :D

But I have a tiny little question concerning your next release: could you please make changing the keymap work? No matter what is chosen, it says it'll load it, but the keymap remains us/41 firmly. thx!
Neo2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
First of all: GREEEEAAAAT work! :D

Thanks, really appreciated :wink:

Yamakuzure wrote:

But I have a tiny little question concerning your next release: could you please make changing the keymap work? No matter what is chosen, it says it'll load it, but the keymap remains us/41 firmly. thx!

It's marked as a known issue. Anyway, I've looked at the init scripts for the liveCDs and I'm trying to track down the problem. Hopefully, if I'm able find it, I'll be able to provide a custom patched ebuild for the scripts, or at least some fix.

Latest news: I'm announcing the opening of my website, right now :P
You can find it at this URL: www.faskatech.net
I've been working on it for the last 4 weeks (sporadically, though) and the main section dedicated to the liveCDs it's done. Some things are still missing: logo, banners, footer, personalized images and little corner things. The email contact is still to test. HTTP and FTP download are available for the releases, and FTP-direct access is available: ftp.faskatech.net. Monitoring service is available also, if you're interested in some statistics: monitor.faskatech.net
If you need or are willing to host some project I have plenty of resources available on the server, it's just a matter of setting up individual accounts.
The server itself is running Gentoo, of course :wink:
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice :D

Neo2, could you include iotop, smartmontools and hddtemp in the next release, please ?

I'm always a little worried if I can't really monitor what's happening during system recovery

iftop, ... would be additional candidates

thanks !

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
DigitalCorpus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it is more for recovery, but would it be too much to ask to have testdisk in the next release as well? Thanks!
Neo2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for long delay, I'm busy with studies.
@kernelOfTruth: iftop is already included, I'll include your requests plus other monitoring tools. I'll also rework the spec files used with catalyst at this point, since it's becoming quite a mess to mantain them.
@DigitalCorpus: no problem, afterall testdisk matches the purpose of the release, being a recovery tool (and lacking a GUI, luckily). It should be an easy task since it depends on few things that should be part of the system profile already.

Please see the homepage of my website for latest updates and a preview of the next release.
Neo2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4th release available. See the website for the news.
I've added a RSS feed pointing to the front page, where all the news get published, so that you won't have to follow/check the thread every time you're waiting for updates. E-mailing works, "Contacts" section has been added.

Cheers,
Neo2
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neo2 wrote:
4th release available. See the website for the news.
I've added a RSS feed pointing to the front page, where all the news get published, so that you won't have to follow/check the thread every time you're waiting for updates. E-mailing works, "Contacts" section has been added.

Cheers,
Neo2

Hi Neo2,

Merry Christmas to you and your family,

Season's Greetings,

thanks for the new release, does it include 2.6.28 ?

I can't seem to see updated release-notes at the beginning of this thread or your server:

Quote:
Index of /unofficial/releases

Icon Name Last modified Size Description[DIR] Parent Directory -
[DIR] 20080320/ 05-Jun-2008 20:17 -
[DIR] 20080616/ 17-Sep-2008 20:15 -
[DIR] 20080915/ 16-Sep-2008 19:24 -
[DIR] latest/ 16-Sep-2008 19:24 -

Apache Server at neo2.servizi-web.net Port 80

SlashBeast
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo.

Kernel in new release support XTS? (aes-xts-plain) and have cryptsetup ?
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlashBeast wrote:
Yo.

Kernel in new release support XTS? (aes-xts-plain) and have cryptsetup ?

cryptsetup: check

XTS: dunno, I'm waiting for site update & response from Neo2 :P

you don't really need xts if you're not using swap with lrw, I'm currently using swap with essiv and it should be fine with lrw

Neo2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@kernelOfTruth:
thanks, Merry Christmas for you too :) (and all of the users reading this post, of course)
Unfortunately, I began working on the release on the 20th of December and some minor things went missing: portage version has been upgraded, 2.6.28 kernel was released yesterday at 23.45. I uploaded the stages on the 22 evening, installCD snapshots on the 23 evening. Thus, kernel is still 2.6.27.10. At this point I might ask: is there any place from where I can know expected kernel release schedules? maybe some IRC channel? If so, I'd like to know :)
About the site, I moved everything to www.faskatech.net (referenced a little back in this thread), I forgot to update the first thread (done now). The old one (neo2.servizi-web.net) will be dismissed as soon as I tell my friend and let him perform the task (that server is not mine).
This release was a bit rushed, because I'll be on holidays from the 27th, Dec until 3rd, Jan, without internet connection and the amd64 box. Not to mention the fact that I also have a lot of things to study for university in these two weeks. That explains why some little glitches are visible.
I was thinking of a post-release between the 3rd and the 6th of January, but that would lead to a lot of work. Provided that 2.6.27.10 contains only the fixes from 2.6.27 to 2.6.28 (without the new features) and the fact that to the purpose of this release the major change in the kernel structure is the stabilization of ext4, the typical user, on typical desktop hardware, is not going to miss that great load of features.
Thus, if nobody asks for post-release for very urgent matters aka "My HDD would eat my data without shock protection" or "I need GEM because I have 64Mb of RAM but a 1024Mb graphics card" (see human readable kernel ChangeLog), I would delay it until about the end of February, right after the end of exams' period.
@SlashBeast:
cryptsetup included, XTS also:
Code:
fabio@gentoo-node1 ~/livecd/files/kernels $ grep XTS 2.6.27.10-amd64
CONFIG_CRYPTO_XTS=m

I do care about being featurefull yet as lightweight as bytecode allows :wink:

Cheers,
Neo2

p.s.: I know I should publish spec files, I'm just thinking of a pratical way of doing it :)
sPHERE911
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the new relaase coming any time soon? today perhaps?:D
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sPHERE911 wrote:
is the new relaase coming any time soon? today perhaps?:D

why should it ?

2.6.29 final still isn't out yet and there's also no reiser4 for 2.6.29 yet :wink:

Neo2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth is right :) If you've had a look at the homepage you'll know when it's ready (as soon as 2.6.29's out :P)
Anyway, I'm really busy lately, that's due to the following:
-> changed MB+CPU+RAM (now on AMD Phenom II X4 920 + M3A79-T deluxe + 8Gb Corsair DDRII 800Mhz): compiled openoffice in RAM in 58mins *without ccache* (men, that's SO good) vs. 3.58h with ccache; downsides: have to reinstall windows, rebuild the RAID from scratch (windows doesn't recognize it while linux does) --> shift about 400Gb data to an external HD and then back (that's where I'm stuck right now). I'll also have to fix some shutdown problems with the desktop (I bet I have to recompile some package to fix with the new setup).
-> very busy schedules at university: I get out of home @7.00 and get back at about 18.00 each day, not to mention I also have to study at home
-> had some really weird issues with Wireless LAN: starting from Thursday ~15.00 the signal stopped propagating.. reflashed the router, the wireless extender, reconfigured, moved things up and down in the house, changed antennas, EVERYTHING. The solution was to move on channel 6.. someone tell me why a stable rock-solid setup stops working all of a sudden without *any* reason (not even an object moved or some new strange technology has been installed on Thursday). Had also to change the power supply of the range extender... it slowly faded away in the last few months until it stopped working today (again, WTF?!). Anyway, this has been driving me extremely insane for the last three days, I had really no clue about how to fix it. Thank God, everything's alright now :wink:

I'll make updates available through the home page, and I'll also soon setup the two blogs mentioned in the last update. The sooner I end all of this, the sooner I can get studying ^^

Cheers,
Neo2
Neo2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A *bump* for all the people following this thread. New version has been released :wink:
See www.faskatech.net for info.

Cheers,
Neo2
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neo2 wrote:
A *bump* for all the people following this thread. New version has been released :wink:
See www.faskatech.net for info.

Cheers,
Neo2

*downloading right now*

thanks a lot, Neo2 ! :D

now I could finally (perhaps ?) give btrfs a try for root filesystem

kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately it is of no use for me since my keyboard stays off during bootup (no detection ?)

and also stays dead at the prompt

it's an usb-keyboard (microsoft natural keyboard 4000)

Neo2, could you please take a look whether you're also encountering problems with an usb-keybaord ? (perhaps some new-added kernel-setting which isn't enabled or modules not loading ?)

thanks

Jupiter1TX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
unfortunately it is of no use for me since my keyboard stays off during bootup (no detection ?)

and also stays dead at the prompt

it's an usb-keyboard (microsoft natural keyboard 4000)

Neo2, could you please take a look whether you're also encountering problems with an usb-keybaord ? (perhaps some new-added kernel-setting which isn't enabled or modules not loading ?)

thanks

Same problem here with...
Microsoft XSA-00001 USB Wireless Laser Desktop 6000 V3
Neo2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm.. very weird behaviour. I've got a Microsoft Wireless Multimedia Keyboard 1.1 (ps2/usb) that is working both with usb and PS2. And the oddities don't stop here... I diffed/checked the kernel configurations I used to build them... They are almost identical, except the support for the newer features. But the parts concerning PS2/HID, event/evdev support are identical.
Maybe it was the unstable genkernel version I used to build the kernel with (I can't recall if it gave me compile errors or not, but I guess so).
@Jupiter1TX/kernelOfTruth: if I could rebuild the i686 version by this evening and upload it for tomorrow afternoon, would you be willing to download it and test it? I would give you access to a restricted area on my server, so that the "beta" would not go public. If that will work it'll become the newer release. If you are ok with this, please leave a reply on the forum. Tomorrow I'll PM you the data you need. Thanks a lot for reporting :)

Cheers,
Neo2
Jupiter1TX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neo2 wrote:

@Jupiter1TX/kernelOfTruth: if I could rebuild the i686 version by this evening and upload it for tomorrow afternoon, would you be willing to download it and test it? I would give you access to a restricted area on my server, so that the "beta" would not go public. If that will work it'll become the newer release. If you are ok with this, please leave a reply on the forum. Tomorrow I'll PM you the data you need. Thanks a lot for reporting :)

Cheers,
Neo2

I would gladly test for ya Neo. I may be out of town tomorrow afternoon
but i will do any testing possible before i go.

Just so you know, before i upgraded my keyboard/mouse combo i was
using the same as you 'Microsoft Wireless Multimedia Keyboard 1.1 (ps2/usb)'
and that setup never worked properly with earlier NEO cd's either. I always
had to use a non-wireless keyboard/mouse combo.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

count me in !

I'll be glad to test it and see what's the cause ...

it's really weird that it's happening for me then with a wired keyboard ... why is it working only on one box with the same keyboard ? :?

I forgot to mention: I've also changed the usb slot / connection but it didn't make a change

besides that I have a Logitech MX620 but I can't test if it's being detected since gpm isn't started by default ...

kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something's wrong - probably genkernel's scripts:

I'm writing this post out of the livecd environment (afaik the one with kernel-rebuild (?) - will have to look later which one)

nevertheless: almost nothing usb-related is being loaded during startup in contrast to former livecd releases

the only kernel-module loaded in the kernel is usbcore and that isn't able to control keyboard, mouse, etc.

so I had to manually load usbkbd usbmouse usbhid

that wasn't enough

ehci-hcd also didn't do the trick, first after I had inserted uhci-hcd (intel boards) the keyboard and mouse began being initialized

so summary:

usb ports were dead, essential needed kernel-modules not loaded
loading mechanisms has an issue / broken

suggested solution:
could you please compile in the most important usb-stuff into the kernel ?

ohci-hcd, uhci-hcd, ehci-hcd and the others mentioned above ?

nowadays more and more input peripherals are usb-only so I was lucky having an old PS/2 Keyboard lying around now being able to do some maintance tasks on my system

thanks !

Neo2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your work kernelOfTruth, will work on the CDs ASAP. I will integrate the drivers for the common USB controllers (EHCI OHCI UHCI) and usbhid, but not usbmouse and usbkbd. It's because these are simplified protocols that allow support for simplified devices, while usbhid gives full hardware support and full feature support when loaded (usbmouse and usbkbd were designed for embedded devices).
I should be able to upload the CDs by tomorrow evening.
Anyway, it's quite strange, because genkernel loads usb-related modules on my machines at boot, just before "activating mdev...". I really don't know how to fix that, so I'll stick with the suggested solution :wink:

Cheers,
Neo2
Neo2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for replying this late, been really busy with studies... and completely forgot to work on the project. Work has been done this afternoon sticking to the suggested solution (which is the only reasonable anyway :)), CDs uploaded to the test restricted area. I've included all of the USB host controllers, usbhid and all the "special HID devices" quirks + kernel update to 2.6.29.2. kernelOfTruth, Jupiter1TX, could you please verify that this time your keyboards do work? Thanks a lot

Cheers,
Neo2
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: