install doesnt boot, ultra1, bad magic number problem moreso
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenTimJS
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: install doesnt boot, ultra1, bad magic number problem moreso Reply with quote

Hey.

I just wasted the last 3 days doing an install on my Ultra1 only to get the bad magic number crap when I tried to reboot.

When I first got this machine, I had this problem and had to do some funky partitioning with the Solaris 9 installer to fix it, but am unsure what to do with gentoo...

I followed the install docs -exactly- but the fdisk interface was differant than what was in the docs, for example it bothered me about primary and extended partitions which the install doc mentioned nothing about.

I plan on re-doing the install, as im pretty sure I'll have to wipe the disk to fix this. When I get to the fdisk stage, how do I prevent this issue?

I am using a single 8gb scsi drive (Quantum XP3900J) and dedicating the entire disk to linux (ext2)

Ive seen mention of the sun disk label partition and the "whole disk" partition, however as previously stated, the fdisk interface was a bit differant and (at least as presented in the install docs) didnt present me the needed options?

-Tim
tim@jlc.net
aolim:gentimjs
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: