Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MM23
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran ~amd64 for about 6 months, I had next to no problems with it

the only annoying thing was setting up masks for a few things that didn't like to coexist together at the higher versions OR I just plain didn't like the new upstream changes to (pidgin, etc)

but yeah, back on topic... gnome 2.22 is pretty nice. i just wish the icon themes weren't so fucked up.
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MM23 wrote:
but yeah, back on topic... gnome 2.22 is pretty nice. i just wish the icon themes weren't so fucked up.

I have no idea what you are talking about here. What bug number? Do you have icon-naming-utils installed?
MalleRIM
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leio wrote:
I have no idea what you are talking about here. What bug number?

Some icon themes that used to work with 2.20 don't work with 2.22 anymore...
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Leio
Do you happen ta know what the showstoppers are for Gnome 22 x86 stable?
haarp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. Only problems with Gnome 22 for me on AMD64.

1. Items in the Trash can't be accessed from other apps like before. I need to restore them to access them again...
2. Nautilus lost a lot of its functionality that was provided by plugins before the update (open terminal here, image converter). Even the Unmount option is gone.
3. Gnome now chooses seemingly randomly what mounted devices to put on the Desktop. Right now, I have a bind-mount that resides on my filesystem as a nice little icon on the Desktop. Completely useless, since it's not a drive, I don't have the rights to unmount it, and trying to unmount it tries to unmount / itself. Oh joy. On the other hand, a CD, an USB stick or another hard disk do not appear anymore. So it's literally the opposite of what it's supposed to do
angelfly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haarp wrote:
Meh. Only problems with Gnome 22 for me on AMD64.

1. Items in the Trash can't be accessed from other apps like before. I need to restore them to access them again...
2. Nautilus lost a lot of its functionality that was provided by plugins before the update (open terminal here, image converter). Even the Unmount option is gone.
3. Gnome now chooses seemingly randomly what mounted devices to put on the Desktop. Right now, I have a bind-mount that resides on my filesystem as a nice little icon on the Desktop. Completely useless, since it's not a drive, I don't have the rights to unmount it, and trying to unmount it tries to unmount / itself. Oh joy. On the other hand, a CD, an USB stick or another hard disk do not appear anymore. So it's literally the opposite of what it's supposed to do

note: I'm using 2.22.3 on x86

1. ~/.local/share/Trash/files/ works for me
2. Unmount is still there for me. As for opening terminal "gnome-extra/nautilus-open-terminal".
haarp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. ~/.local/share/Trash/files/ works for me

What a stupid idea. They should just point the Trash to that folder instead of using some vfs that no other apps understands/can open

Quote:
2. Unmount is still there for me. As for opening terminal "gnome-extra/nautilus-open-terminal".

Yeah, I managed to get open-terminal again after some fiddling, aswell as the file-roller integration (god I hate file-roller anyway, every other app, especially Winrar under Windoze is vastly superior)
As for Unmount: Yes i still have it in a few places. But when I connect an USB stick and open the "File" menu in the root of the stick, I usually had "Unmount volume". It's gone. Right clicking on /mnt/disk-3 (which is the stick) also doesn't reveal that option. I have to unmount it in the console...
EvaSDK
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might want to rebuild gnome-mount.

For informations about what's holding ${ARCH}, there's nothing more than what's listed in the tracker bug.
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvaSDK wrote:
For informations about what's holding ${ARCH}, there's nothing more than what's listed in the tracker bug.

Do you have a link?
rahulthewall
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aniruddha wrote:
EvaSDK wrote:

Do you have a link?

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=214260
sargek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, an emerge --sync this morning brings in Gnome 2.22 but an emerge -uD world blocks some of the Gnome packages portage wants to pull in. Not sure what to do about this. Here are the blocks:

Code:

[blocks B     ] <gnome-base/gnome-applets-2.22.0 (is blocking dev-libs/libgweather-2.22.3)
[blocks B     ] <gnome-base/gnome-control-center-2.22 (is blocking gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-2.22.2.1)
[blocks B     ] <media-video/totem-2.21 (is blocking dev-libs/totem-pl-parser-2.22.3)

the packages being blocked are not currently installed. If I could yank a package to remove the block, that would be fine, but these blocks are "self-inflicted" by portage...any ideas would be appreciated!
alkan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got around this problems by unmering old versions of those blocking pkgs.
sargek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alkan wrote:

Thanks - will give that a shot. Appreciate the help!
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sargek wrote:
alkan wrote:

Thanks - will give that a shot. Appreciate the help!

I had also to unmerge gnome-light since it was pulling in gnome-base/gnome-control-center-2.20.3.

Code:
[nomerge      ] gnome-base/gnome-light-2.20.3 
[ebuild  N    ]  gnome-base/gnome-control-center-2.20.3  USE="alsa eds esd hal -debug" 0 kB
[ebuild     U ]   gnome-base/gnome-panel-2.22.2 [2.20.3] USE="eds -debug -doc -networkmanager%" 3,179 kB
[ebuild     U ]   gnome-base/nautilus-2.22.5.1 [2.20.0-r1] USE="X gnome -beagle -debug (-esd%*) (-tracker%)" 4,900 kB
[ebuild     U ]    gnome-base/librsvg-2.22.2 [2.20.0] USE="zlib -debug -doc (-gnome%*)" 454 kB

Code:
[blocks B     ] <gnome-base/gnome-control-center-2.22 (is blocking gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-2.22.2.1)

haarp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvaSDK wrote:
you might want to rebuild gnome-mount.

Nope, that didn't fix it
liutom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at "emerge gnome -pv"
it says gnome (and gnome-light) are still 2.20 !!!

so not all updates are finished...

Liu
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liutom wrote:
look at "emerge gnome -pv"
it says gnome (and gnome-light) are still 2.20 !!!

so not all updates are finished...

Liu

That's what I suspected, I'm going to sync again tomorrow and emerge gnome-light :wink:
magowiz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I will wait tomorrow to re-sync and hopefully get the whole gnome stable: there's a lot of gnome 2.22 packages already stable but there also some that aren't.
sargek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know I am not the only one having issues...funny thing about mine is that I emerged gnome-settings-daemon separately to try and fix the block, but now emerge is complaining that it can't emerge gnome-control-center because it's being blocked by gnome-settings-daemon, but gnome-settings-daemon is already installed (2.22.2.1). Odd.
magowiz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sven already reported to bugzilla current portage inconsistence regarding gnome , I think it is better to follow this bug report https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=229709 to know when this issue will be solved (or in other words : when gnome 2.22 will become whole stable for x86 )
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now in a limbo, I re-emerged gnome-light but I can't log in anymore :?
Wojtek_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just upgraded to 2.22 and everything went without any major problems. The only issue I have is not being able to put any image (no matter what format) as desktop background - I can change its colour though. Any ideas what might be wrong?
Cheers,

Wojtek
ATi Mobility Radeon X1800 256MB DDR3
2x120GB HDD
Intel High Definition Audio
blueflame
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueflame wrote:
EvaSDK wrote:
blueflame wrote:
Anyone notice that Nautilus no longer preserves a file's modification date & time when you copy it? :x

I wish developers would not mess with established features and behaviors of such fundamental parts of Gnome. :evil:

yes this is a known bug and has already been reported upstream.

Anyone know if the fix for this upstream bug has been included in Gentoo Gnome 2.22?
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well all packages are apparently updated, strangely enough gnome-light is still at version 2.20.3:

Code:
# emerge -av gnome-light

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N    ] gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-2.22.2.1  USE="alsa esd gstreamer -debug" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] gnome-base/gnome-control-center-2.22.2.1  USE="eds esd hal -debug" 2,061 kB
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-base/gnome-light-2.20.3  0 kB

MalleRIM
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Regarding gnome-base/gnome-2.22.0 and gnome-base/gnome-light-2.22.0 meta packages:
Learn to use your tools and especially emerge. emerge --upgrade --deep --verbose --ask gnome (or rather emerge -uDva gnome) will work with 2.20 meta ebuilds too... nothing in the 2.20 meta tells that it's restricted to gnome 2.20 packages. This way you will just not get new modules (cheese and vinagre) forced on you yet, and will have a redundant gnome-keyring-manager still pulled in. That's it. Other than that you can have a full GNOME from that. This is why we do not pay any attention to the metas in the overlay, and therefore none get updated for a new version before everything is in portage and it's almost ready for unmasking. It's just not necessary.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: