View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wim-x
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the idea of using USB sticks for swap, very creative. I wonder if my stick's warranty sees this as "misuse".

rgk wrote:
we should get some english Gentoo books!

Perhaps some parts of the installation docs can be published as books together with the release cd/dvd that goes with it. This can be combined with some of the "tips & tricks" from the Newsletters, parts of forum discussions, or the wiki.

See also this topic.
kdeez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Great work on the new GMN! Reply with quote

I just wanted to write and thank those involved for such a well done newsletter. It's the best I've seen in a while and it's refreshing to see there is new life and interest in it. It's such a valuable contribution to the community to know what's going on around us.
Thanks again!
Gooserider
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: Universe, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, North America, USA, MA, North Billerica

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Tips & Tricks suggestion and praise Reply with quote

Newsletter is well done, kudos to the editors and contributors.

However I'm having a problem with getting one of the "Tips & Tricks" to work, namely the USB thumb drive as swap device... T&T's are a great idea, but it might be helpful if the newsletters had pointers to a forum thread where issues about a particular Tip is discussed so that if anyone has a problem with it, there is a direct connection to the best place to ask questions - makes it easier for the newsletter readers to find help, and easier for the good folks that answer questions in the forums to get all the issues in one place so they don't get a bunch of scattered threads with the same problem.

(BTW, I created a thread on this problem at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5022176.html#5022176 and solved the problem - The article didn't mention the need to FORMAT the swap drive space w/ mkswap before attempting to turn it on...)

Gooserider

Last edited by Gooserider on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
gentoostart
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't seem to register for the monthly newsletter. I've tried my work account and gmail account. I still get no response. Can anyone help? Thanks!
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoostart wrote:
I can't seem to register for the monthly newsletter. I've tried my work account and gmail account. I still get no response. Can anyone help? Thanks!

You could read it online at http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gmn/?
gentoostart
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to report it, I don't mind using the rss feed.
wcw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new March's GMN is more attractive, much better than GWN.

But I found the part "Council Meeting Summary" is very hard to understand - in all the GMN.
Usually I spend much more time to figure out what it does mean exactly than any other parts.
I just wondered that whether the other common readers can understand this part?
We also try to translate the GMN to Chinese, I find this part is the pain.

And I think the part "Tips and Tricks" is always very GOOD.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: