CFLAGS: -mmmx -m3dnow -msse et al
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: CFLAGS: -mmmx -m3dnow -msse et al Reply with quote

I'm having a bit of a problem with the above CFLAGS. The "flags" line of cat /proc/cpuinfo gives me:

Code:
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow

on an Athlon XP 1600+. Now, it says there that I have support for:

SSE
MMX / MMX2
3DNow! / 3DNow!2

So, my question is, how do I make sure that GCC is using MMX2 and 3DNow!2 support, as well as just plain old MMX and 3DNow! support? I don't know if adding the CFLAGS:

Code:
-mmmxext -m3dnowext

would make any difference at all. This is primarily to make sure that things like video encoding take as little time as possible!
()
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-march=athlon-xp should turn on sensible optimizations shouldn't it?
jkcunningham
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: CFLAGS: -mmmx -m3dnow -msse et al Reply with quote

robmoss2k wrote:
I'm having a bit of a problem with the above CFLAGS. The "flags" line of cat /proc/cpuinfo gives me:

Code:
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow

on an Athlon XP 1600+. Now, it says there that I have support for:

SSE
MMX / MMX2
3DNow! / 3DNow!2

So, my question is, how do I make sure that GCC is using MMX2 and 3DNow!2 support, as well as just plain old MMX and 3DNow! support? I don't know if adding the CFLAGS:

Code:
-mmmxext -m3dnowext

would make any difference at all. This is primarily to make sure that things like video encoding take as little time as possible!

Just because cpuinfo shows the flags doesn't mean that your hardware, or gcc for that matter supports them. Try running the gcccpuopt script and see what it says. There's a link to it on this page:

http://home.comcast.net/~jcunningham63/linux/GCC_Optimization.html

-Jeff
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: