Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phunni
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linuxboy wrote:

Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

This was the section that caused my mouse to go crazy. I changed it to PS/2 and now the mouse is no longer crazy, but I also don't have the use of my scroll wheel.
agrippa_cash
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still having the same problem as well with a PS/2 mouse. I have a Belkin Omniview and my mouse wigs out every time I switch back and forth. I have tried killing X, restarting KDM, not touching the mouse when I switch, typing a bit before I use the mouse, and I tried manually editing the POINTERS secion, per Belkin's website (X wouldn't start).
bdemore
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This exact damn problem is killing me as well, has anyone found an answer? :x
phunni
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only solution I have found is to change the mouse protocol (see above). The downside to this is that I have to live without the benefits of my scroll wheel, but at least everything is functional and useable...
haz3l
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Belkin KVM switch as well.. When I switch to my gentoo box, the mouse either dies or flickers (its optical). Besides the ctl+alt'ing out of X, I've found that banging the mouse lightly against the pad brings my mouse back to life... ^^ kinda weird but.. *shrugs*
molander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the omni view 4 port KVM as well and have experienced everything that has been discussed so far.

The only thing that I can think of is that when the KVM switches to another computer, the previous system is told that there is a standard 2 button mouse connected. When you switch back you have a 3 button - scroll mouse connected and X thinks you have a standard two button. Unfortunately it doesnt seem to redetect the mouse and you are stuck until you switch consoles or restart X.

It seems like we need to find a way to force X to use a specific pointer and not to change it. If I remember correctly mine also had a problem with windows XP and USB where if I attached to the XP box via USB and switched back and forth XP would lose the scroll wheel. When I contacted tech support at belkin the of course said this was a known issue and I should just use PS2. Punks.

I will give X another shot tonight.
senderap
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same happens to me whenever I have anythin except a standard PS2 mouse selected. It doesn't matter what distro SUSE, RH< Fedora,Debian,Gentoo. I've also switched KVMs.
banadushi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a power adapter for your KVM you need to make sure you kepp it plugged in, If you do not have a power adapter then you are SOL. The reson is when you plug a mouse into the PS/2 port, it expects to get a signal back from the mouse. A KVM with the power adapter will emulate this, and the systme will always think it has a mouse attached. X however down not poll the mouse port, so if it comes up with a mouse it assumes it has a mouse, and never checks again. So when the KVM changes and removes the mouse from that system, the hardware know's there is no mouse there and kinda shuts off the port. Switching the VT causes X to do some redetection somehow, but to do it right you need to swtich VT's umplug the mouse from the KVM, plug it back in, then switch back to the VT with X on it. The mouse will now work as normal.

Note: although the power adapter may be plugged in, it may not fix the problem. At work we have Belkin POS KVM's and they never work, they are glorified switchboxes. You need a real KVM.
phunni
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do also have a (much less annoying) problem when I switch to a windows machine: I am scrolled about half way down the page

So, this isn't a Linux/X thing - all GUI systems seem to struggle
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. I'm having this problem between BeOS, XP, and Xfree86 on a variety of OSs/kernels. Interesting idea about the power plug, by the way. My cheapo non-Belkin KVM switch doesn't even have one (!), but I could try putting in batteries and see if that helps... 8O

Interestingly enough, I can usually fix the mouse freeze in XFree86 by toggling the virtual consoles (as described by others earlier in this thread), but only in a 2.4 kernel environment - <ctrl-alt-F(n)> doesn't help at all when running 2.6 kernels.
phunni
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that switching virtual consoles makles my colours go all screwy. This is probably an issue with either my graphic card (ATI 9800 Pro) or my monitor.

Either way - I can live without the use of the scroll wheel; this seems the least problematic fix
MannyL-NJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plate wrote:
Absolutely. I'm having this problem between BeOS, XP, and Xfree86 on a variety of OSs/kernels. Interesting idea about the power plug, by the way. My cheapo non-Belkin KVM switch doesn't even have one (!), but I could try putting in batteries and see if that helps... 8O

Interestingly enough, I can usually fix the mouse freeze in XFree86 by toggling the virtual consoles (as described by others earlier in this thread), but only in a 2.4 kernel environment - <ctrl-alt-F(n)> doesn't help at all when running 2.6 kernels.

Chalk up another person with a Belkin and 2.6 no go at all but 2.4 switchg consols worked. I even tryied switching to a text console then switching to the other pc but that didn't help. I have a few power sup;lies here but don't know which one is for a Belkin Onmicube 4 port F1D094
ampedover
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Same here! Reply with quote

Running 2.6 kernel with Belkin Omniview 4-port switch. Have all the symptoms described in this thread. Also have RH7.2 and WinXP machine which don't exhibit this problem.

I believe this problem is a kernel USB config issue and possibly XFree86. Have not found resolution yet....
ampedover
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Same here! Reply with quote

The unplugging and replugging of the mouse seems to fix mine. This may be along the lines of the previous comment about have a power supply connected.

There's obviously some signal lost when switching. I'm guessing the power supply connected must perserve this as well as unplugging then replugging getting that signal back.

Still doesn't explain why my RH7.2 machine doesn't have this problem though...
kaji
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Spacific Devices Reply with quote

I am curently using a Belkin Omniview E with a Logitech mouse and I have had this problem with Redhat, Fedora and now Gentoo. I have always just switched to a terminal and back again but i fugured i could fix this in Gentoo but this is the one think i can not find a fix for.

I have tried replacing the mouse, however all I have are Logitech mice. I have tried all nature of Logitech mice though (optical, ball, usb, ps/2, etc).

I have found that if I change from and to my gentoo box quickly enough the mouse does not get messed up, however this does me or anyone else little good. This lends proof to the power issue, however I do not have the proper power supply to confirm.

I have also found, more or less by mistake, that if I use the PS/2 driver the mouse is not effected, however I lose my scroll ability. This fix has been posted before, however this leads me to believe that the driver/Logitech in conjunction with the Belkin or Belkin based KVM switch may be the problem.

After checking this out with Belkin i found that they sead it was a Omniview E specific problem, I would quote the page but I can not seem to find it again. Trendware (a Belkin related company) was completely useless (webpage is full of broken links). It may be the chip used in the Omniview E that is the problem as well.

Does anyone know how the IMPS/2 driver works? Could it be more sensative to connection loss then PS/2?

I have noticed that most of us have Belkin Omniview's so I offer that we all compare our divices in an effert to sort out why some people are having this problem and others are not.

Belkin Omniview E 4-port KVM F1DB10FP V-E1.0
Logitech Mini Wheel Mouse (all i can tell you is that it is silver) w/ USB to PS/2 converter
IMPS/2 Driver
phunni
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a 2.6 kernel I cannot fix this problem even by switching terminals - even restarting X does not fix the problem.

Only a reboot does...
rich0
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: May be kernel/XF86 dependant Reply with quote

I got my KVM a long time ago (a Belkin - no surprise there...). I remember tring to get it to not hang when switching back to linux, and I discovered the switching consoles trick. I also had various degress of luck with this program that I got from somebody else online:

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#define MOUSE "/dev/mouse"

main ()
{
     FILE *ofp;
     ofp = fopen(MOUSE, "w");
//     fprintf(ofp, "ÿÿ");
     fprintf(ofp, "õ");
     sleep(1);
     fprintf(ofp, "óÈódóPò");
     sleep(1);
     fprintf(ofp, "ô");

/*   Nathan G. Grennan has reported that ÿÿ doesn't work for him, but */
/*   õóÈódóPòô does, and you might need a half-second of delay after */
/*   the first character õ, and also before the last character ô. */
/*   These are the hex codes for those characters: */
/*   F5 F3 C8 F3 64 F3 50 F2 F4 */

fclose(ofp);
}

Why the author didn't just code the characters in hex I have no idea...

That program actually did tend to reset the mouse, but then it stopped working (probably during an X upgrade). Then after another upgrade switching consoles didn't work either. At that point I gave up and bypassed the KVM for the mouse - I never had problems with the keyboard/monitor and it isn't too bad having two mice on my desk.

I am currently running 2.6.2 with XF 4.3.0. I just got a brand new wireless optical and I figured I'd give the KVM another try. Sure enough it didn't work, and the discussion on this forum strongly resembles the discussions on the forums a year or two ago when I first got the switch...

I think that along the way somebody noticed an extra mouse reset on the virtual console switching code and figured "hey, the VC doesn't affect the mouse, I can shave off three lines of code by not resetting the mouse every time"...

I don't know much about the mouse hardware. Maybe this is just a three line kernel patch to fix...
rich0
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject: Additional information Reply with quote

After doing some searching, I found that using the module option proto=bare on the psmouse kernel input device module fixes the problem, but disables the mouse wheel.

Some folks aparently have had some luck with the kernel module option resetafter=1, but that didn't help me at all.

In theory you don't need psmouse compiled as a module - I think psmouse_proto=bare should also work as a kernel boot option.

Hopefully this will help someone else.

I'm sure I'll keep hacking away at it, but I'll live without the wheel for now...
phunni
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please elaborate. I'm not using a kernel module for the mouse at all as far as I'm aware. How would I go about trying this?
Xiderpunk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problems as mentioned here with a Belkin Omni-Cube 2-Port. As above the only 'fix' I have found is to unplug the mouse from the cube, wait a couple of seconds then plug it back in.

Definately not ideal.. :(

Kernel: 2.6.7--rc1-mm1
gcc: 3.3.2
desktop: kde-3.2.2 / XFCE4
rich0
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Kernel command lines Reply with quote

Quote:
Please elaborate. I'm not using a kernel module for the mouse at all as far as I'm aware. How would I go about trying this?

Note that these instructions should work for 2.6.2, and probably some of the 2.6 series, but I don't know when exactly the option made it into the kernel so you might not be able to do it under 2.4. (I'm using 2.6.2-gentoo - it is almost seamless to get it working so you should try it if you aren't running it already unless you have really exotic hardware. Search the forums for tips on the upgrade.)

Well, I haven't tried the non-module way, but in theory you need to edit your grub menu file (in /boot/grub/menu.lst) and add the psmouse_proto=bare to the kernel options - ie append it to the end of the line which looks like:

Code:
kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda3

Then just reboot.

I haven't tried this - since I didn't find the boot option at first I went ahead and compiled mouse support as a module.

To go this route, compile a kernel but set CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=m instead of "y". In the config menus it is under Device drivers/Input devices. Then add the line

Code:
psmouse proto=bare

to the file /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

Then reboot.

The nice thing about modules is that if you want to tinker with the settings just do:

Code:
/etc/init.d/xdm stop
rmmod psmouse
modprobe psmouse <options>
/etc/init.d/xdm start

You don't need to reboot between changes to try new ones out since you are reloading the mouse driver as a module.
duhblow7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was having a similar problem and i was able to find a solution. i have a belkin omnicube 4 port. when i would switch between linux and windows and i came back to X the only problem was the mouse scroll no longer worked. i tried changing to console (control+alt+F2) then switching between windows and linux but then switching back to X (control+alt+F7) but that didn't fix the mouse scroll. i tried unpluggin the mouse from the ps2 port on the belkin kvm but that didn't fix the mouse scroll. my mouse scroll was affected even if i switched between the kvm very quickly. my fix was to recompile the kernel with ps2 mouse support as a MODULE. add 'psmouse' to the /etc/modules.autoload/kernel-2.6

Code:
echo "psmouse" >> /etc/modules.autoload/kernel-2.6

reboot

when i switched between consoles the mouse scroll still wouldn't work, but if i unloaded and reloaded the psmouse module, i was able to get the scroll mouse functioning again.

as root:

Code:
rmmod psmouse
modprobe psmouse

i hope this helps somebody.

oo7
ashak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just setup a new Gentoo box for my boss, he wants to try and move everything he does over to Linux... Needless to say, when I hooked his machine up to his 4 port Omnicube, after switching away to a windows machine and then back, the mouse went nuts. I read through this whole post and realised it didn't come up with a complete solution... However, in another post, I found something that said add

Code:
psmouse.proto=imps

To you the end of the kernel line in your grub.conf file... So I thought i'd give it a go.

For just to be complete, the xorg.conf contains:

Code:
Option      "Protocol" "auto"

In the InputDevice section.

And this seems to solve the problem of the mouse going nuts. My boss has a trackball thing with no scroll wheel, so I cannot tell you if it's completly solved the problem or not, but it's a nicer solution than pretty much everything else suggested :)

I hope this helps others.

Ashak
chovy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phunni wrote:
With a 2.6 kernel I cannot fix this problem even by switching terminals - even restarting X does not fix the problem.

Only a reboot does...

I'm having the same problem. under 2.4 kernel, I could just switch to virtual console (as described), and back. And it worked. 2.6 kernel, won't fix the problem.

The only way I've found to fix the problem is to pass the parameter to the kernel (psmouse.proto=imps) in grub.conf:

Code:
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/hda3 psmouse.proto=imps

That fixes the original problem of the mouse not working at all when running startx, however. When switching with Belkin 4-port KVM switch, I still get crazymouse. The only fix is to reboot the computer after switching over with the Belkin thing.

I tried the PS/2 vs. IMPS/2 in XF86Config, but that didn't help any.
dtor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not really need to reboot to restore the mouse, doing:
Code:
echo -n "reconnect" > /sys/bus/serio/devices/serioX/drvctl

where serioX is serio port your mouse is connected to should restore it. You can find which serio port you need by doing:
Code:
for i in /sys/bus/serio/devices/serio*; do echo -n `basename $i`": "; cat $i/driver/description; done

Look for "serio2: PS/2 mouse driver".

Unfortunately we do not have solution for automatic protocol reset. Yet.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: