Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
HOWTO: Use a Windows box as a distcc server for linux.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trejkaz wrote:
The install instructions specify i686-pc-linux-gnu, now... GCC accepts -march=athlon-xp supposedly so would it make more sense if my Gentoo install were setup for that architecture, to setup things differently? Or does the setup descripted result in the Gentoo box passing -march=athlon-xp to the Cygwin daemon?

Leave it as i686-pc-linux-gnu unless you have changed your CHOST in make.conf to something else (eg. i586-pc-linux-gnu). CFLAGS like -march are passed to the server by distcc.

Trejkaz wrote:
Also, what is the deal if you _do_ have multiple architectures around the network? Does a single distccd installation need to cater for just one sort? Or does it switch between the directories depending on what the client machines ask it to perform?

I have mixed i586-linux-gnu and i686-linux-gnu machines in the compile team with no apparent problems. YMMV.

Sorry I haven't been keeping this updated lately folks. My 2 widows machines are still running the first build I got working. (busy semester last fall)

Right now I'm trying to work out an improved method ( i.e. build the whole cross toolchain on linux). If we can get that working then new possibilities could emerge.:wink:
odessit
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: Current Residency - Server Room - Caution - Frostbite Imminent!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dewhite wrote:
2 questions...

1. Will that knoppix cd boot with nvnet support for my NF7-S mobo? Or, is there a way to make it work with said adapter?

2. If not, is there anyway you could repackage the bz2 image with gcc 3.3.2 instead of 3.2.3 for us ~x86 users veto?

Unfortunately I do not know anything about the CD. I could not test it yersterday, my test PC was not behaving (read dead). I will come home and search on the net. Or you can do the same, it will probably befaster
bqf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Just writing to say thanks to everyone helping to keep this updated (especially Powerfactor of course), and thanks to Veto for the Cygwin package - this windows box would still be idling most of the time if it hadn't been for your precompiled toolchain... I can be pretty lazy when it comes to longsome stuff like building a cross-compiler and dealing with all possibly arising problems :oops:

P.S.: Curse Martin Schlemmer for "gcc-3.3.2-r5.ebuild: Bump to stable for x86." the day i finally put gcc-3.2.3-r3 on my windows box... ;)
john.robinson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go so far as cursing Martin Schlemmer, but it does mean it would be handy for me too if there was a new toolchain. *smiles sweetly at Veto* Please? I'm sure I'm not the only one who screwed up trying to do this myself.

Re mixed platforms - my Gentoo is on an AMD K6-2 with CHOST=i586-pc-linux-gnu, and I also have an AMD Athlon Thunderbird running Windows XP and another running Fedora Core 1 with CHOST=i386-redhat-linux. Both other platforms seem happy to produce things for Gentoo, in the case of the Fedora box I'm using their gcc 3.2 and everything's worked OK.

Of course all these are x86, I haven't tried installing on my Sun JavaStation (sparc) but if I go for Gentoo I'll definitely need to get cross-compiling going on one of the other boxes (it has 32M RAM and a 125MHz CPU). I have more pressing things to do though, which is why it currently runs Red Hat 6.2 if I ever turn it on.
Veto
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be rebuilding my toolchain on Monday for the large number fo changes we just had.

I could probably use my current glibc but I don't think that's proper so I've got both of my Gentoo boxes up-to-date, rebuilt glibc, etc. Tomorrow I'll rebuild glibc for Cygwin (with gcc-3.3.2-r5) and then go over and build gcc-3.3.2-r5. After that I'll test, strip and package.
Veto
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated my tool-chain to include a rebuilt glibc-2.3.2-r9 and gcc-3.3.2-r5. I also made sure to get cc.exe as a link in there as suggested and even managed to lose about 5MB (down to 19MB) of size with a bit more aggressive stripping. It's compiled the 2.6.2-rc1-mm1 kernel so I'm guessing it's good to go.

You can read more about it HERE

or just grab it via FTP HERE
Ronald Dehuysser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: distccKNOPPIX Reply with quote

If I would use the distccKNOPPIX and presume it has an older gcc version than my gentoo box, would that be a problem for compiling stuff with distcc?

Thanks in advance,
Ronald
bqf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: distccKNOPPIX Reply with quote

Ronald Dehuysser wrote:
If I would use the distccKNOPPIX and presume it has an older gcc version than my gentoo box, would that be a problem for compiling stuff with distcc?

See http://distcc.samba.org/faq.html#mixed-gcc for info about that.

(edit)
I hate editing my posts, but i totally overlooked Veto's posting. So basically I'm editing to say "thank you" for spending your time on this... again :)
(/edit)
john.robinson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too :D Thanks again Veto!

Suggestion, if I may be so bold and just in case you haven't already, go and take a copy of your .bash_history (or whatever) on both boxes, I'd be happy to turn them into configurable scripts (but perhaps not an ebuild) if desired (not that you couldn't, this is just my cack-handed way of offering assistance :oops: ).
Veto
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john.robinson wrote:
Me too :D Thanks again Veto!

Suggestion, if I may be so bold and just in case you haven't already, go and take a copy of your .bash_history (or whatever) on both boxes, I'd be happy to turn them into configurable scripts (but perhaps not an ebuild) if desired (not that you couldn't, this is just my cack-handed way of offering assistance :oops: ).

Argh, i just looked over my Gentoo box and it's history is already munged up...no real good there. I'll be sure to capture a clean history next time I go through it. I'm guessing we'll see a glibc upgrade in the next couple of weeks...I almost held off doing this run because of it, but I wanted the windows boxen to do something besides sit there during all the changes.
ehudokai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: works on Mac OS X Reply with quote

In case anyone cares. I'm SUPER siked because I just followed the original howto and was able to get a cross-compiler/distcc setup running on a Mac G4 running OS X 10.3 that doesn't get much use here in the office :D !!! Gonna transfer it to a G5 tomorrow :) ...

If anyone want's me to post a tarball and has a place to put it, let me know!

I might be able to host one, but not sure. Depends on demand.

-joel
Harri
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veto wrote:
I've updated my tool-chain to include a rebuilt glibc-2.3.2-r9 and gcc-3.3.2-r5. I also made sure to get cc.exe as a link in there as suggested and even managed to lose about 5MB (down to 19MB) of size with a bit more aggressive stripping. It's compiled the 2.6.2-rc1-mm1 kernel so I'm guessing it's good to go.

You can read more about it HERE

or just grab it via FTP HERE

Thanks again for your great work. This is AWESOME and works 100%.
Get to work XP Desktops! ;)
sphen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all thanks for the great HOW-TO.

Is it possible to get distccmon-text to show anything in cygwin. I set the interval but still no luck. However, when compiling stuff in gentoo, the lights on the router go crazy and Windows task manager does show gcc.exe as doing something occasionally.

Thanks

Stephen.
Harri
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sphen wrote:
First of all thanks for the great HOW-TO.

Is it possible to get distccmon-text to show anything in cygwin. I set the interval but still no luck. However, when compiling stuff in gentoo, the lights on the router go crazy and Windows task manager does show gcc.exe as doing something occasionally.

Thanks

Stephen.

Run distccmon-text on the gentoo computer that you are compiling for.
Depending on your Distcc installation age try the following:
DISTCC_DIR=/var/tmp/portage/.distcc distccmon-text 2
or
DISTCC_DIR=/var/tmp/distccd/.distcc distccmon-text 2

That should show the windows computers hard at work.
sphen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harri wrote:

Run distccmon-text on the gentoo computer that you are compiling for.
Depending on your Distcc installation age try the following:
DISTCC_DIR=/var/tmp/portage/.distcc distccmon-text 2
or
DISTCC_DIR=/var/tmp/distccd/.distcc distccmon-text 2

That should show the windows computers hard at work.

Thanks Harri. Great now I have a good excuse to spend all my money on some more machines. :lol:
bruor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veto,

thanks for the amazing setup, i was having a hard tiem getting things running, but i got oyur file untarred and ran the script and bang works like a dream

extremely appreciated !!!

:)
Veto
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see people are getting use out of Powerfactors great HOWTO and my binary package built on it.

I'm guessing we're going to have a bump of glibc coming up...just seems like about time for one. When that happens I'll grab my history file and see if we can't create some type of script to build your own package from scratch. If Powerfactor does find a way to build all of it under Gentoo then we'll could possibly have a script to gen a up to date bindist at any time...that would be very cool.
bios_2110
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: ERROR: failed to exec gcc: Permission denied Reply with quote

i've downloaded the wonderful package, and installed it on a machine with cyg, and done the service and all, but when i try to compile i get this friendly error

Code:

distccd[556] (dcc_execvp) ERROR: failed to exec gcc: Permission denied
distcc[6679] ERROR: compile on 192.168.1.202 failed with exit code 110
make[2]: *** [getopt.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
distccd[2596] (dcc_execvp) ERROR: failed to exec gcc: Permission denied
distcc[6693] ERROR: compile on 192.168.1.202 failed with exit code 110
make[2]: *** [regex.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sed-4.0.7/work/sed-4.0.7/lib'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sed-4.0.7/work/sed-4.0.7'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-apps/sed-4.0.7 failed.
!!! Function src_compile,

any help would be greatly appreceated
bios_2110
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: please excuse my stupidity Reply with quote

okay, so i may have read the permissions wrong. i guess it's hard to execute a file when it doesn't have the -x permission, eh?
bios_2110
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: still permissions Reply with quote

okay, so i gave cross-linux RWX for all and this is what i get for a listing for gcc

Code:

Andrew Preece@apiii /usr/local/cross-linux/bin
$ ls -al gcc.exe
-rwxr-xr-x+   1 Andrew P None            0 Feb  9 18:31 gcc.exe

and this is what i get when i run it

Code:

Andrew Preece@apiii /usr/local/cross-linux/bin
$ ./gcc
bash: ./gcc: Permission denied
Veto
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, does the long named gcc run? It should be something like: /usr/local/cross-linux/bin/gcc-i686-cygwin<blah blah blah>.exe
dankegel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Script to set up hetrogenous distcc cluster Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I'm updating http://kegel.com/crosstool
to support Cygwin and Mac OS X, and to build distcc by default;
this should make it fairly easy to put together a hetrogenous
distcc build cluster for any desired combination of gcc, glibc, and
target CPU type. These features should be in version 0.28 when
I release it next week or so, knock on wood.
jago25_98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: static binary Reply with quote

Is it possible to create a static binary so all a windoze user needs to do is click it?
piyo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Thanks and why is glibc need to be recompiled? Reply with quote

Thanks for this topic. I have successfully gotten useful results. Can you imagine playing around with gentoo linux 2004.0 on a VIA EPIA (=P3-533Mhz) computer? Slow slow glacial compile times. My windows computers can now be put to good use!

I was wondering why is it important to have glibc recompiled on the linux computer? Why can't you just copy glibc binaries already installed as a package over to the windows machine? Obviously the installed glibc is targeted for that machine.
---
piyo
Daath
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Holy crap it's fast :) Reply with quote

Damn it's nice, my 900MHz laptop running gentoo, my P4 2GHz machine running XP is assisting my 1GHz Via C3 server right now, it's incredibly fast!
Installation was VERY smooth and easy thanks to rob's toolchains etc. and the cygwin net installer :) Very nice!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: