View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try disk0:c or the path disk0 represents with :c on the end.

If that works, make a new alias, or redefine one of the old ones.
H0bb3z
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this message before and in my case, it turned out the media wasn't supported by my old drive. At the time I was trying to boot into Solaris 8 install media on my sparcstation 5.

I think either the media was burned at a higher rate than the drive could read, or the actual executable binary wasn't supported in the sparc5 architecture...

I know this doesn't solve it for you, but maybe it will steer you in the right direction...
Running Funtoo Core2 build
jubu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: same problem with boot after install Reply with quote

Hi all!

I also tried to boot with boot disk0:# (any number) but I get all the name Cannot mount root device hda4. The partition layout is now exact the same as in the example! Do I miss any important ???? I have all fs ext3 and I have ext3 compiled into kernel. Any recommondations??? I REALLY don't want to reinstall SOLARIS ....
m4chine
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeve -- i tried 'boot disk1:c' and i got the same error, the file just loaded does not appear to be executable. *sigh* any other suggestions?

-m4chine
H0bb3z
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CDROM is aliased in my nvramrc to ...sd@0,0:d or diskx:d -- you may try this:
Code:
boot disk1:d

Running Funtoo Core2 build
m4chine
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is driving me insane. This is the second machine that i have installed gentoo on and cannot get it to boot. I have a enterprise 3000 as well, that gets the same error. I tried
Code:
boot disk1:d
again with no success. My cdrom is mapped to sd@6,0:f, im not really understanding the symantecs of this notation. I assume that sd@0,0 refers to scsi disk chain 0, then id assume the next 0 is for the partition number. so what are these letters for anyways? :x

-m4chine

Last edited by m4chine on Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blademan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m4chine wrote:
I assume that sd@0,0 refers to scsi disk chain 0, then id assume the next 0 is for the partition number. so what are these letters for anyways? :x

The first 0 refers to the SCSI lun, typcially this is for a jukebox. The second 0 is for the SCSI id. Finally, the letter is for the partition/slice on the disk.
m4chine
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i got some more info, but no sucess.
Code:
probe-scsi-all
Target 0
   Unit 0   Disk   Compaq   BB00911CA0   3B05
Target 1
   Unit 0   Disk   Compaq   BB00911CA0   3b05
Target 6
   Unit 0 Removable Read Only Device   Toshiba

If i try a "boot disk0" I get a Fast Data Access MMU Miss" which leads be to believe that my linux boot partition / silo is on disk1 ie Target1. I've tried "boot disk1:a-f" and none of the partions work. I get the same error as before, "The file just loaded does not appear to be executable". So again, disk1 appears to be the right disk, but isnt working. help please :evil:

-m4chine
vtaoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my post in a different thread for my explanation of what I think is happening here.
m4chine
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info, ill report back tomorrow after the testing is complete. thanks vtaoe.

-m4chine
m4chine
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you think its neccesary to redo the install process? i just resized the partition on my /dev/sda1 from 0-95 blocks to 1-95blocks. I rebooted and got the same error again, but i didnt redo silo or any other steps, im limited on time atm. i will redo the silo steps for installation when i have time. thanks for the help.

-m4chine
vtaoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you re-made the partition, then chances are the boot info written to block 0 (which was once on sda1 but is now part of sda3) could be corrupted or otherwise changed. You should re-run SILO. (You shouldn't need to change your silo.conf file, BTW--just execute # silo -C /boot/silo.conf with /boot mounted, of course.) Also, make sure that fdisk indicates a Sun disk label for your drive. Mine (IDE) shows:

Code:
Disk /dev/hda (Sun disk label): 16 heads, 63 sectors, 17660 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes

Device Flag    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1             1       125     62496   83  Linux native
/dev/hda2  u        126      1118    499968   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda3             0     17660   8900640    5  Whole disk
/dev/hda4  u       1119     17660   8336664   83  Linux native

Last edited by vtaoe on Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
m4chine
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after i changed the partition size, i ran silo -C /boot/silo.conf, rebooted, and i still get the same error. i tried to boot using "boot disk1:c" which gave "the file just loaded does not appear to be executable". here is a print of my disks.
Code:

Disk /dev/sda (Sun disk label): 64 heads, 32 sectors, 8676 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 bytes

/dev/sda1   r         1        95     96256    1  Boot
/dev/sda2   r        95      8676   8786944   83  Linux native
/dev/sda3             0      8676   8884224    5  Whole disk

Disk /dev/sdb (Sun disk label): 64 heads, 32 sectors, 8676 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 bytes

/dev/sdb1             0      8000   8192000   83  Linux native
/dev/sdb2  u       8000      8676    692224   82  Linux swap
/dev/sdb3             0      8676   8884224    5  Whole disk

my silo.conf appears:
Code:

gentoo / # cat /mnt/gentoo/boot/silo.conf
partition = 1
root = /dev/sda2
timeout = 5
image = /boot/vmlinux
label = linux

any other suggestions?

-m4chine
vtaoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m4chine wrote:
after i changed the partition size, i ran silo -C /boot/silo.conf, rebooted, and i still get the same error. i tried to boot using "boot disk1:c" which gave "the file just loaded does not appear to be executable".

You are trying to boot from the first SCSI disk, right--/dev/sda?

I think (at least this is the way it's set up on my "m4chine" :wink: with IDE disks) that disk = disk0 = /dev/sda and disk1 = /dev/sdb.

Try ok boot disk0:c instead.

Failing that, check your aliases in PROM by issuing ok devalias. I don't claim to know anything about SCSI on Sun, since my machine has only IDE, but I think you're looking for something like:

Code:
disk[0|1|2|3]   /iommu/sbus/espdma@f,400000/esp@f,800000/sd@[0|1|2|3],0

(That comes out of a Solaris book as an example for a SparcStation 20, so YMMV. If you said what kind of system you're running and whether the SCSI controller is built-in or an add-on board, I missed it...but that might be useful info.)

Anyway, you might also try explicitly specifying a device = in silo.conf to make sure that SILO is placing the bootloader on the correct disk. Failing that, perhaps you should temporarily remove one of those disks to simplify things. (I see you're using the second disk for swap, but depending on how much physical RAM you have, you should be able to get away with no swap, at least long enough to get all the booting straightened out. Just be sure to comment out parts of /etc/fstab accordingly.)

Hopefully, with a little more info about your setup, someone who has a SCSI setup can help you further. I'm sorry I don't have enough experience with it to specifically give you actual answers. My contribution is only that, in my limited experience, and on my IDE-based system, I had to point OBP at the third ("whole disk") partition to get it to find the bootloader. As for actually pointing it at the right disk on your SCSI setup, I don't think I can be of much help. You might also check out the SILO website, which appears to be pretty much the manpages for SILO, but also has some useful background info.

Also, it just occurred to me that you might not have chroot'ed back into the /mnt/gentoo system after rebooting from the CD and before re-running SILO?

Good luck.
m4chine
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

again, no luck :cry: but i'll post some more info. The sparc im trying to boot is an Ultra2 Enterprise. It has about 1.7gb ram, 2x200mhz cpu's, 2x4.3gb seagate scsi drives. I am trying to boot of the onboard scsi controller. Note* in the PROM, disk0 will always refer to /dev/sdb and disk1 will always refer to /dev/sda, dont know why that is, but i prefer my /boot be on sda, so thats why i must 'boot disk1:c' in PROM. From my understanding, it would do no good to specif a device= in silo.conf because i dont think its finding silo?? or is it? is there any way to test this? i took out /dev/sdb and tried to boot while only having a single disk in, no good. I removed the mountable flags on the partitions ( ie. flag r ). Im again, stumped. And yes i did remember to chroot before executing silo -C /boot/silo.conf. Hope this makes sence to someone....

-m4chine
vtaoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m4chine wrote:
From my understanding, it would do no good to specif a device= in silo.conf because i dont think its finding silo?? or is it?

No, it doesn't sound like it's finding SILO on boot, but...

...SILO does parse the silo.conf file when you run it from within Linux, and, as I understand it, that's when the device = line would be read and would tell SILO where to write the boot info. (You are correct that, unlike LILO, SILO does re-parse the silo.conf file at boot time as well, so you don't need to run SILO every time you change silo.conf.)

As for disk1 --> sda and disk0 --> sdb, you should be able to nvalias those to whatever you want them to point to in PROM. (Not that it would solve your problem, though, but just FYI.) Maybe you should try resetting your PROM to defaults (set-defaults is the command I think, but you should look it up for your version of PROM)--if you bought it used, perhaps the previous owner had done some strange setup there.

I will likely get hit with rotten tomatoes for suggesting this, but if you get really stumped, you might try installing Solaris and see how that modifies your NVRAM and addresses the various disks and partitions. I noticed when I did it that it changed my boot device from disk to disk:a. Presumably, if you setup Solaris to boot off the same disk that you want to boot Gentoo from, it will modify your NVRAM accordingly. Of course, I also recommend deleting it and re-installing Gentoo as soon as you learn what you need! :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: