libacl fails to emerge
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SithMaddox
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: libacl fails to emerge Reply with quote

Code:
>>> Emerging (1 of 9) sys-apps/acl-2.2.47 to /
 * acl_2.2.47-1.tar.gz RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ...                    [ ok ]
 * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...                                      [ ok ]
 * checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...                                     [ ok ]
 * checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...                                    [ ok ]
 * checking acl_2.2.47-1.tar.gz ;-) ...                                   [ ok ]
mv: error while loading shared libraries: libacl.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
 * ERROR: sys-apps/acl-2.2.47 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line 1641:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *      preprocess_ebuild_env || \
 *         die "error processing environment"
 *  The die message:
 *   error processing environment
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/acl-2.2.47/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/acl-2.2.47/temp/environment'.

Argh. Now I can't do anything on my system. Use cp or mv.
meulie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same happened to me. Luckily I had access to another system from where I could scp /lib/libacl.so.1
pazz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi!
i just had the same problem and solved it by diskdumping another version to /lib/libacl.so.1:
Code:
dd if=libacl.so.1.1.0 of=libacl.so.1

after that i could use cp,mv etc again to remerge coreutils and run revdep-rebuild.

cheers'
pazz
Anarcho
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anybody else has the problem, for me the following worked:

Code:
maz-mobile ~ # rm /lib/libacl.so.1
maz-mobile ~ # ln -s /lib/libacl.so.1.1.0 /lib/libacl.so.1

Maybe you have to replace the correct version number.
jamapii
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had the problem when doing some updates on an old computer. mv, cp, ln stopped working (when trying to write to /lib). scp couldn't write to /lib. bash still worked, I could confirm that libacl.so.1 was still there with "echo /lib/libacl*".

The solution was: ldconfig

I noticed there were 2 versions of acl installed, according to /var/db/pkg, so portage must have failed just after putting the new file in place.
metamorfix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: libacl fails to emerge Reply with quote

This just happened to me as well and I thought I would add one more tidbit of info. In my case I thought libacl.so.1.1.0 was missing and I replaced it from an older Gentoo build but his did not work and then I was stuck. I had been keeping the build on the machine that got corrupted relatively up to date so I had to find the libacl.so.1.1.0 somewhere.

I downloaded the latest stage3, in this case stage3-2008 and using gftp (SSH2) from another machine I copied over libacl.so.1.1.0 into /lib of the machine in need of repair. Note that even though ls did not work, directory navigation was possible with gftp.

rm and ln -s did still work on the corrupted machine and so I removed the links and recreated them:

rm libacl.so
rm libacl.so.1
ln -s libacl.so.1.1.0 libacl.so.1
ln -s libacl.so.1 libacl.so

I could verify the deletion and creation using gftp.
The result is ls, etc worked but most importantly portage now worked and I could continue with updates.
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever a critical failure like this leaves you unable to use basic utilities, remember Busybox. It is statically linked so it usually works through all kinds of shared-library damage. Run busybox with no arguments to see all the sub-commands it provides (mv, cp, rm, ln, ls, and tons more).

I was bitten by this ACL problem this morning. Since only a symlink was missing, not the library binary itself, repair with busybox was straightforward:
Code:
# ls -l
ls: error while loading shared libraries: libacl.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

# busybox ls -l /lib/libacl*.so*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        11 Dec 21 10:42 /lib/libacl.so -> libacl.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root     26112 Dec 21 10:42 /lib/libacl.so.1.1.0

# busybox ln -nsf /lib/libacl.so.1.1.0 /lib/libacl.so.1

Followed by emerge --resume to let Portage clean up the phantom 2d version.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: