Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[solved] does binutils upgrade require toolchain rebuild?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willkil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: [solved] does binutils upgrade require toolchain rebuild? Reply with quote

My question in short: Do I need to rebuild the toolchain if only binutils is upgraded to a different version?

Here's my motivation for the question:

I tend not to update my gentoo box until I'm trying to install something new and it doesn't go super-smoothly. Then I'm not sure if my problem is that I need to muck with configurations or if my system is just 6 months out of date.

I'm working on a script to automate whatever emerge -vuDN world scenarios I can reasonably automate. In the general case, none of portage, gentoo-sources, gcc, glibc, or binutils will be upgraded. That's easy to automate, and I've already done so. Some of the special cases I plan to handle manually, but I want to minimize those. For example, I'd rather have my system rebuild everything on its own for 40 hours than spend 30 minutes trying to figure out whether or not I really need to rebuild my system when I upgrade gcc.

I've found plenty of documentation on what to do for all of the special cases except binutils. E.g., the Gentoo Kernel Upgrade guide indicates I can totally automate an upgrade from gentoo-sources-2.6.23-r1 to gentoo-sources-2.6.23-r2, but that I should make menuconfig for 2.6.23->2.6.24. But for binutils, I'd appreciate some advice.

Last edited by willkil on Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it depends. For minor updates, no, but the longer you've waited between updates, the answer approaches yes. If you know of some new feature you want to make use of in LDFLAGS, or the default linker scripts have changed, then definitely yes. Still, in the strictest sense, the answer is no. Everything will continue to work just fine without rebuilding the toolchain in most cases and you probably won't notice much difference between a rebuilt and not-rebuilt toolchain.
willkil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I don't remember ever changing LDFLAGS. I don't know anything about the default linker scripts. How would I know whether or not they changed?

Since the purpose of my script is to keep my system updated, I will assume there should only be minor updates to binutils unless the primary version number changes. So my script won't rebuild the toolchain for binutils upgrades unless the first version number changes. If upgrading e.g. 2.18 -> 2.19 causes problems, I'll notice and can fix the system manually.
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The linker scripts thing is something you have to keep track of yourself, either by direct comparison or periodically scanning the changelogs or binutils devel lists. It's not that big a deal, I just mentioned it as a possible reason you might consider rebuilding the toolchain. Honestly, I don't pay that much attention to it myself. Sometimes people add stuff to LDFLAGS and it later ends up in the default scripts, but in that case, unless you're really over-cautious about things (or are burning rice like crazy), you've already gotten the benefit (if any) of a toolchain using those features and don't need to rebuild.
willkil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Thanks for the reply. BTW What does "burning rice" mean?
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you've not heard of "ricing"? Here:

http://funroll-loops.info/

You don't see quite so much enthusiasm for this as you once did, but it's still common enough with Gentoo.
willkil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol The closest I ever came to that was installing the i686 rpms of mysql at my ISP employer.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: