9 different questions..
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wink42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:12 am    Post subject: 9 different questions.. Reply with quote

Hi
I am struggling to make my gentoo-installation, and have a little collection of rather different questions :
1. I have not included support for devfs in the kernel, of which i am being reminded at every boot. But what is the consequences of this?

2. I would like to use Midnight Commander shell, and have found a package in a GNOME directory. But when I try to install it, it says :
"!!! Couldnt find a match for mc; aborting"
why?

3. When I need to change something in my GRUB og Kernel, and therefore try to mount my boot partition :
mount /dev/sda1 /boot
it goes
mount : fs ntfs not supported by kernel
??

4. how do I refer to my PS2 mouse ie in the xf86config (obviosly not /dev/mouse or /dev/tty00

5. During install, while formatting, it said "running REALLY low on dma"
I thought i could fix that with some hdparm setting but it seems to me that there are no hdparm settings for my /sda besides readonly.

6. During the installation i typed in the wrong gateway adress. now I am able to add the right adress with the route command, but I cant find the right parameter to remove the wrong gw, and after reboot, the setting is back to the wrong configuration.

7. Which parameter with ls gives me one page at a time ( i feel SO silly to ask this question, but I have looked in the man page and everywhere else without result..)

8. When i run startx, I get the NVIDIA logo ok, and then I get a desktop with two windows in it (both showing a prompt) and my system freezes.
Can this be because I havent setup a window manager?. I have installed KDE 3.

9. NVIDIA doc tells me to run lspci to come up with the PCI ID or BUS ID for my Video card, for use in xf86config, apparently lspci is not installed, what is the alternative way to read this value - do I need it?
(My card is an AGP card, does this make any difference)

thanks in advance for every kind of answer anyone of you guys comes up with. I appreciate it so much. This is quite different from RedHat..
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Nothing, other than throwing off all the things that want devfs. Just do it, life will be easier.

2. That's GNOME Midnight Commander, and you should be able to install it by "emerge mc".

3. Check your /etc/fstab... it seems to think your /boot partition is NTFS.

4. Why not /dev/mouse?

5. Hmm... whatever. If it's running, I guess it works. ;)

6. nano /etc/conf.d/net

7. Try "ls | less"

8. It's not frozen, it's running an xsession. Look in /etc/rc.conf and uncomment the line that reads "#XSESSION=KDE"

9. less /proc/pci; probably 1:0:0, though the video driver should be able to figure this out.
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: 9 different questions.. Reply with quote

wink42 wrote:
4. how do I refer to my PS2 mouse ie in the xf86config (obviosly not /dev/mouse or /dev/tty00

try /dev/psaux, or if u want u can do ln -s /dev/mouse /dev/psaux.
wink42 wrote:
6. During the installation i typed in the wrong gateway adress. now I am able to add the right adress with the route command, but I cant find the right parameter to remove the wrong gw, and after reboot, the setting is back to the wrong configuration.
Change the last line of /etc/conf.d/net:
Code:
gateway="eth0/192.168.0.1"
You can chage that to whatever gateway u want.
wink42 wrote:
7. Which parameter with ls gives me one page at a time ( i feel SO silly to ask this question, but I have looked in the man page and everywhere else without result..)

You can use a pipe and sned it thru less. For example
Code:
ls /bin /sbin|less

wink42 wrote:
1. I have not included support for devfs in the kernel, of which i am being reminded at every boot. But what is the consequences of this?
Well gentoo is big on devfs. U might as wel comoile it in and use the new kernel,. It sohouldnt take long.
wink42 wrote:
3. When I need to change something in my GRUB og Kernel, and therefore try to mount my boot partition :
mount /dev/sda1 /boot
it goes
mount : fs ntfs not supported by kernel

Im guessing u might want to check /etc/fstab and if it is there

1. Make sure it has he right fs type
  2. U would only need to do mount /boot

If it isn't there try mount -t ext3(or whatever the real fs tpe is) /dev/sda1 /boot.
Hoope this helps.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: DevFS Reply with quote

A little "gotcha" that hung me up (before the installation guide was updated to explicitly cover this issue) was that you have to choose the option in the kernel to display evaluation code. The exact wording as found in the installation guide is
Quote:
You will need to enable the "Code maturity level options --> Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers" option to see several of these selections.
This guide can (of course) be found here ----> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/build.xml -- The quote comes from section 14. Final Steps: kernel and system logger in the red block that is a warning. So that really only applies to your #1 question.

Hope that helps!!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: