open trainsim
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
florax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:48 am    Post subject: open trainsim Reply with quote

programmer, designer wanted! Anyone out there interested in founding an open train sim project, gameplay and graphics going after msts from kuju?
florax
bakgwailo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 10:37 pm    Post subject: Sure Reply with quote

I think that a quality train sim would be really cool on Linux. It helps bring two (large) niches together ^_^. I can program in C/C++, but I have yet to learn QT/GTK or OpenGL, but I deffinatly think this is something that you should persue, and I wouldn't mind helping. Peax.
florax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a little python, so we had to decide which language to use. For me python has the advantage that I can test on for example windows, too, because until now my graphics card adaptor (savage4) has no opengl hardware acceleration. At the moment I'm trying to read a freeware *.s file (shape and so on) and afterwards display it. I think it would be good if ittems from msts could be used because there are many freely available on the net. The *.s files should be more or less easy to do because they are plain text and not binary format. A problem could be the textures because they are in a format with the ending *.ace (has nothing to do with the filepackaging program) though there exists an windows utility to convert them to *.tga (with transparency) or *.bmp (without transparency).
If you want the file search for maglev.zip on www.train-sim.com (it's a model of the german transrapid 07, fitting rails also exist)
Maybe for a basic grass texture we could contact the flightgear project.

best regards
florax
florax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to be "my graphics ccard adaptor (savage4) isn't supported hardware accelerated under linux. The other way round would be better
florax
bakgwailo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 2:21 am    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

How different is python to C/C++? I wouldnt mind trying to pick it up, but we should find other python coders. Also we will need some artists (although making it compatable with MSTS art would be a great help, just dont want to go against copyright laws and what not). Is there anyone else on these forums who would like to join? Peax.
florax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 1:19 pm    Post subject: graphics and so on Reply with quote

I didn't mean to include microsoftn artwork in the game, but there is very much freeware around, which isn't owned by microsoft. In every case, using items from msts should be easier then changing to a different plane in flightgear. If I get somethingdone I'll let you know. Perhaps in the meantime you can try for yourself?

florax
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: