The prodigal Gentoo user
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DieselPower
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: The prodigal Gentoo user Reply with quote

Well, I left Gentoo about a year ago when I let etc-update get behind and had some other problems. I installed Ubuntu and it was love at first sight, but I have had too many struggles along the way. I cannot do a apt-get update over My ISP without a SSH tunnel, and adept-updater totally borks the whole system if the internet connection gets interrupted. Since I'm on dialup, the connection gets interrupted a LOT. I now have 6 Kubuntu boxes here that will not upgrade or install anything all because of the stupid adept-updater. Ive had way too may re-installs, so, tomorrow I'm going to a faster connection to do a Gentoo install on my 850MHz laptop. If I like (I'm sure I will), I'll do it on my smoking fast desktop too, then the others next. Sometimes it seems that several gentoo boxes are a lot to keep up with, but ubuntu has too many major issues, and I get no response out of the forum, so HERE I COME!!!
I have it my way no matter what, and I build it every time, 'cause they don't sell them that way. A genius is always has what he wants, but a rich person does not. I'm a rich kid with no money! That's why I chose Gentoo...
doubleagent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little late. Forums are going stale here too.

Try ##otw on freenode (irc), or the gentoo mailinglists - you can get excellent support there. These forums serve as an excellent resource and the origination of otw these days.
i think they programmed [otw] based on a right-wing jewish-nigger-nazi, his gay, retarded, left-wing love slave with webbed feet, and their three headed cat that poops uncontrollably. the cat is also an apple fanboy
Urban Cowboy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doubleagent wrote:
Little late. Forums are going stale here too.
++

As gentoos popularity diminishes, we will see this trend continue, I fear.
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doubleagent wrote:
Try ##otw on freenode (irc)
Really bad idea if you want support. Use #gentoo instead.
jcat
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still plenty of helpful peeps ready to assist on the Gentoo forums AFAICT.

I fail to see how "otw" IRC is going to help anyone, unless it's code named that to keep the riff raff out... :lol:

Cheers,
jcat
doubleagent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_alec wrote:
doubleagent wrote:
:oops: oops. Freudian slip there.
i think they programmed [otw] based on a right-wing jewish-nigger-nazi, his gay, retarded, left-wing love slave with webbed feet, and their three headed cat that poops uncontrollably. the cat is also an apple fanboy
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really see that the forum is getting stale. I see a good amount of daily activity and a bunch of users that still want to help one another. The popularity and utility of the forum can be built back up to what it used to be.
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_alec wrote:
doubleagent wrote:
Why? ##otw is always steaming with intellect. I'm sure they'd be glad to help :lol:
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forum rocks man :)
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:

I agree. I don't see the decline to be as vast as others have suggested. I'm surely not discrediting the IRC channels either, as they serve many purposes as well. However, I believe that the forum beautifully acts a centralised collection of information regarding Gentoo, as well as being an excellent medium for users to ask for and receive help with Gentoo-related or GNU/Linux-related issues.
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalos wrote:
I agree. I don't see the decline to be as vast as others have suggested.

Kalos, you've been on the forums for just over a year... :wink:

The forums are still great, but they definitely have declined in the past few years.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that I'm a late-comer to the fora, and that by comparison to years past, there may a noticeable shift in activity. The effort should be to find what caused this decline, and then to address those issues accordingly. Having been on other fora, though, I definitely wouldn't say that this community is in a state of disarray that constitutes "stale[ness]."
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been finding a lot of the newer support questions to be extremely obscure or "one off" issues (meaning, there's something in their setup they forgot to mention whether it's bad hardware or a not-so-benign hack).

Perhaps it's just fewer newcomers or they're all just looking at the FAQs and not posting...
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not posting as much as I used to.

My egosearch was always around 350-400 posts, now its under 250. Either users are smarter or with my 5 year old (or more) set up, I'm not able to keep current to help with todays problems.

Both the forums and IRC have seasonal peaks at the beginning of the school year (students getting new equipment) and at Christmas, when users try to install on there just replaced system.

I don't think any of this reflects on the popularity of Gentoo. It has got easier to install and maintain since I did my current install in January 2003, using 1.4-rc4 stage 1.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@NeddySeagoon,

Those are some good insights about the seasonal peaks. Also, with 18000+ posts, I don't think you're unable to help with today's problems. 8)
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think it's just that a lot of the questions have already been answered, too.
SLBMEH
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalos wrote:
steveL wrote:

I agree. I don't see the decline to be as vast as others have suggested. I'm surely not discrediting the IRC channels either, as they serve many purposes as well. However, I believe that the forum beautifully acts a centralised collection of information regarding Gentoo, as well as being an excellent medium for users to ask for and receive help with Gentoo-related or GNU/Linux-related issues.

I haven't really seen any decline either... I still get none of my posts answered, but they're usually dumb anyhow. I have noticed myself posting much more than in the past. I'm a lot more confident now that I write my own ebuilds, patches, and bootstrap scripts, as well as make my own livecd with catalyst... I guess I actually don't use gentoo anymore kind of a home brew instead... I still use portage... but that's soon to change as well I believe.

Edit: I have no clue what caused me to ramble so far off topic.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: