[solved] Error in acx100... need patch
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
violagirl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: [solved] Error in acx100... need patch Reply with quote

I have recently found out that a driver I want to emerge, acx100, has, in it's newest stable release, trouble compiling on 2.6.21 and 2.6.22 kernels. Thus a patch is offered to fix this. I figured this out because every time I tried emerge acx it wouldn't work and gave me all sorts of errors and wouldn't compile.
Well, my question is, how would you add said patch and get the emerge to work correctly?
Quote:

From Gentoo repository.

--- acx-20070101/pci.c.orig 2007-07-24 03:57:41.000000000 -0700
+++ acx-20070101/pci.c 2007-07-24 03:59:20.000000000 -0700
@@ -2104,7 +2104,11 @@
/* TODO: pci_set_power_state(pdev, PCI_D0); ? */

/* request shared IRQ handler */
+#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(2,6,21)
+ if (request_irq(ndev->irq, acxpci_i_interrupt, IRQF_SHARED, ndev->name, ndev)) {
+#else
if (request_irq(ndev->irq, acxpci_i_interrupt, SA_SHIRQ, ndev->name, ndev)) {
+#endif
printk("%s: request_irq FAILED\n", ndev->name);
result = -EAGAIN;
goto done;
--- acx-20070101/common.c.orig 2007-07-24 03:59:40.000000000 -0700
+++ acx-20070101/common.c 2007-07-24 04:01:23.000000000 -0700
@@ -2753,8 +2753,11 @@

skb->dev = adev->ndev;
skb->dev->last_rx = jiffies;
-
+#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(2,6,22)
+ skb_reset_mac_header(skb);
+#else
skb->mac.raw = skb->data;
+#endif
skb->ip_summed = CHECKSUM_NONE;
skb->pkt_type = PACKET_OTHERHOST;
skb->protocol = htons(ETH_P_80211_RAW);

(taken from http://acx100.sourceforge.net/wiki/Patch_2.6.22)
Where would I put the patch? I've never patched anything before so I'm not sure I quite understand. I would have to put it somewhere BEFORE I emerge to have it work, I'd assume, but I'm just unclear on what to do after that.
Any help would be appreciated!
I've seen some websites mentioning epatch, but most of them are too vague for me to understand. For example, http://devmanual.gentoo.org/quickstart/index.html and http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/functions/src_unpack/epatch/index.html seem helpful but are talking above my head (for the level I'm at right now).

Last edited by violagirl on Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, just use the acx ebuild in portage. It's the most recent CVS snapshot available (there isn't a stable release for acx), and it applies the patch and is known to compile (I should know: I made the patch and made sure it compiled. Someone else had to test the driver since I don't have an acx device, but it worked for them).
violagirl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did so and it seemed to install but it's still not working. As according to these instructions at http://acx100.sourceforge.net/wiki/Distribution_list/Gentoo I did modprobe acx and iwconfig, but it's still not seeing the wireless.
I found this old link:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=122584&highlight=acx100
that has suggestions on getting the card to work, but I'm not sure how much of it would still apply.
I went to /usr/src/linux-2.6.21-gentoo-r4/drivers/net/wireless and there WASN'T an acx100 directory even after I emerged acx so I made it. However, I am not sure how to do this:
Quote:
2. Copy the files
- src/Makefile
- src/*.c
- include/*.h
from the acx100 sources into drivers/net/wireless/acx100 in your 2.6 tree.

as I don't know where the acx100 sources are located. Or is all this totally useless now that acx100 is in portage and I should delete the directory I just made?
Because many people have had success getting the Dlink 520+ to work, using acx100, but I also see a lot of posts where it doesn't work right upon installation, and this is my case. Hmmm.

Last edited by violagirl on Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just the acx. Wireless in general behaves like this. For any given chipset, you always seem to have a bunch of people who never had a lick of trouble and another bunch of people who just can't get the stupid things to work.

As to where it's supposed to install: /lib/modules/<kernel version>/net/acx.ko

Also, I couldn't go directly to the page you used with that link, because the forum thinks the comma is part of the URL. Anyway, I notice it makes no mention of the firmware, so have you installed net-wireless/acx-firmware?
violagirl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried emerge -va net-wireless/acx-firmware? and it said 0 kb, so I've already emerged it automatically with the emerge -va acx command, apparently. Now I just have to figure out how to get it to work.
Dr. Strangelove
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

violagirl wrote:
I tried emerge -va net-wireless/acx-firmware? and it said 0 kb, so I've already emerged it automatically with the emerge -va acx command, apparently. Now I just have to figure out how to get it to work.

There's a bugreport for latest acx source on gentoo bugzilla, where you can find
an updated ebuild plus a patch. If you don't know how to get these into your system, search for 'local overlay' or ask again.
Gentoo Linux ~amd64, Kernel 3.6-rc5, Enermax Pro82+ 425W, AMD Athlon 64 X2 BE-2400, Infineon PC800 8GB, ASUS M2NPV-VM, MSI 8600GTS DualHead, SSD OCZ Vertex2 60GB, HDD Samsung Spinpoint F1 320GB HD322HJ, ODD BENQ-DW1640, DVB-S TechniSat SkyStar2
violagirl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that's okay, I fixed this problem a long time ago. Turns out I wasn't using the right drivers anyway from my card and now I'm using ndiswrapper since August anyway. Heh. I probably should put a [solved] tag on this then, I guess. I just didn't think anyone would bring it back up from non-existance.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: