Mac HFS over firewire on an x86
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyrobob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Mac HFS over firewire on an x86 Reply with quote

I finally got my internal drive working but I was hoping to find a way to use my external firewire drive with both my server and my powerbook. The mac is running OSX and can format with "UFS" or HFS+. it can read FAT32 but I really do not want to take that route. The Linux box can read, well, everything. I could not get UFS to mount.

Here is the odd part. When the disk is formatted either formated HFS+ or UFS, it shows up on the Linux box fine, as a mac partition table but with three partitions, showing up in
Code:
/dev/sda1
/dev/sda2
/dev/sda3

but only sda2 will mount and when it mounts it only shows up as 18 gigabytes.

Any way to make it see the full 80 gigs with HFS+? are there other options besides FAT32 that the Mac and Linux box will both like? How would I go about mounting mac-ufs on the Linux box?

Thanks a bunch for your help.
chrispy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check in the kernel option, you will see "support for hfs" in the filesystem section. Recompile either way (module or built-in), reboot, mount.
ckdake
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: hfs support is in. Reply with quote

(screen name change here, long story)

I had HFS support compiled into my kernel and it will mount the HFS partition, however it only sees it as 18 gigs instead of 80. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kernel support for HFS+ is available seperately from HFS support.

Mac-UFS? Well, UFS refers to many UNIX filesystems, but I am quite sure that in this case, they are talking about BSD FFS.

Don't forget to compile in support for the Macintosh Partition Map under File systems>Partition types (Although I think you have done this.)
ckdake
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is HFS+ kernel support avaliable in mm-sources? I could not seem to find it an I am also clueless about patchin my kernel from something else.

How would I go about mounting BSD FFS with mount? i got the -t ufs part down but it looks like i need to do -0 ______ and I dont know what would go on the blank there..

Mac Partition Mac support is compiled in.

[edit] - fixed a typo.

Last edited by ckdake on Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HFS+ support can be found in sys-apps/hfsplusutils, which is unfortunately PowerPC only.

Surprisingly, mkisofs knows how to make HFS+ CDs...
VisualPhoenix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got HFS+ working on x86 over here. Funny thing is - if you have a mac HFS+ enabled harddrive you need to use ITunes to enable firewire harddrive support on the IPod and then it will read properly.

Check our thread https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=66354
ckdake
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: One other option... Reply with quote

One other option for anyone that is interested is using the Ext2 Filesystem under Mac OSX: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/mac/18619

Quote:
Enables the use of Linux Ext2 formatted hard disks, floppies, CD-ROM's, etc from within Mac OS X. Includes support for reading, writing, formatting, etc..

It doesnt enable the use of the ext3 journal but i thought that it was kinda cool and stumbled across it today so I figured I would post it here.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: