Underclocking a Duron
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
refriedbean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Underclocking a Duron Reply with quote

Well, summer is finally here.

I have a 1Ghz duron in my desktop, on a KT266a chipset. During the winter, it ran at about 45C, and under heavy load, maxed out at 49C. However, now that the summer is here, it runs at 51C under normal load, and goes to 54C at higher loads. Unfortunately a lot of apps that used to be very stable in the winter are now starting to segfault.

Now, before you tell me to get anoter case fan, I already have one, and my case has only place for one. Appart from that all the power connectors in my case is used up.

So, now I'm want to know if its possible to underclock my CPU, by say 100 or 200Mhz? I've heard about 'CPUFreq', but I can't find a lot of info on it.

TIA!
Refried
moritz_aut
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

underclocking or overclocking is ususally done by changing the multiplier or the fsb ... you have only to change these settings in your bios (multiplier changes only work if your cpu is unlocked)
refriedbean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response!

I think I might consider just opening the case for the summer or something :)
[C<-->4]
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend opening the case...
Another option would be: Buy a better cooler.
Question: Are you sure your instability problems are due to processor heat, because 50° C is not too unusual for a Duron/Athlon (in summer)
refriedbean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am pretty sure.

I started using gentoo/kde just when it got cold over here. I never had a single segfault of any kde app. Its just this week its starting to get really hot, now random apps segfault every now and then.

Appart from the season change, everything is the same. (the fan's rpm didnt change a bit from last year (5500rpm, default AMD cooler).

Thanks again!
Refried
[C<-->4]
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

refriedbean wrote:
Yes, I am pretty sure.
Refried

This brings up a mad idea in my head.... :)
Put the damn overheating PC in a fridge....

Just kidding, really, i would consider buying a newer, perhaps even less noisy cooler/fan.
xming
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: underclocking Reply with quote

I would suggest under voltage the cpu first till the point when it is still stable and see if your temp decreases too

xming
[C<-->4]
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: underclocking Reply with quote

xming wrote:
I would suggest under voltage the cpu first till the point when it is still stable and see if your temp decreases too

If i didn't missunderstand anything, i got it that he already has seriuos stability problems, so this option is probably not what he wants...
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing to do is to buy a new heatsink and fan. Make sure you get a good one, read reviews etc. If you can't afford one, then the next best thing would be to open up the case, give it a clean make sure your IDE cables are not restricting air flow and drop down the FSB (Front Side Bus) untill your happy with the temps.
xming
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: under voltage Reply with quote

Quote:

If i didn't missunderstand anything, i got it that he already has seriuos stability problems, so this option is probably not what he wants...

His unstability comes from the heat, by decreasing the voltage you decrease the heat output. So you can set the voltage to which the chip still functions corrently and you get less heat thus more stable sytem.

There are even times when you have to undervoltage your CPU to get a better overclock result (when using no so goog heatsink/fan and you don't want to change them)

So my suggestion is worth a try when you don't want to change anything, otherwise I would suggest better heatsink/fan

xming
Ziraku
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also want to give a little cleaning.

I lowered my temp by about 5 degrees C just by cleaning the dust outta my heatsink. Compressed air is my friend :D

Extra case fans can't hurt neither...though it's sometimes nice to get some quiet ones...and having case fans means it's better to keep the cover on to get optimal airflow.
upnix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

refriedbean wrote:

I think I might consider just opening the case for the summer or something :)

Depending how your computer case is setup, opening the case may actually hurt it by ruining the air flow.
refriedbean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, many responses!

There is a lot of good ideas in there :)

I think I'll try the simplist one first (ie. opening the case). If that still doesnt help, I'll probably just get better casefans.

I do not feel terribly comfortable messing with my CPU settings in the bios, so I'll leave that as a last resort.

Thanks again!
Refried

PS, my fridge is too small :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: