Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Warcraft III with WineX
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blk_jack
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 12:11 pm    Post subject: Warcraft III with WineX Reply with quote

Hey everybody. So far wc3 runs great with the latest CVS build of WineX. However I've had to rely on the pre-quartz code when I do a CVS checkout and had to rename my Movies directory.

Now the game runs great and all but I was wondering if anyone knew if it's possbile to get the movies working, and if not will there be any hopes in getting them working in the near future?
Mile
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, wc3 is a pleasant surprise, indeed. I haven't managed to get the movies running yet, either, but I am too happy with the way it plays to complain.

Does anyone else have the problem with lack of option to start a campaign? I just get the screen with choice of difficulty level and the back button. I have seen some mention of it, but no definite solution.
lk42pro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 8:42 pm    Post subject: Need help with getting winex+war3 retail to work Reply with quote

hi i am new to winex, can you tell me step by step how to set it up and to get war3 to work?i am using the radeon firegl driver....
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the subscribed version..2.01 Copy MSVCRT*.dll and regsvr32.exe from some Windoze installation into your ~/TransGaming_Drive/windows directory, once the game is installed (remember not to install direct x),go to the dir you installed it to mv Movies bak.movies ,you should just be able to winex War3.exe

dont think I missed anything............

Cheers
Dale.

:D
Saturn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swishy wrote:
If you have the subscribed version..2.01 Copy MSVCRT*.dll and regsvr32.exe from some Windoze installation into your ~/TransGaming_Drive/windows directory, once the game is installed (remember not to install direct x),go to the dir you installed it to mv Movies bak.movies ,you should just be able to winex War3.exe

dont think I missed anything............

Cheers
Dale.

:D

Hi,

I followed your steps from 1 to 3, but I'm not sure where exactly I need to put MSVCRT*.dll and regsvr32.exe files?

When I type this: wine --winver win2k ./install.exe, I get an error saying:

wine: error while loading shared libraries: libntdll.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any idea?

Thanks.
mb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Saturn

ur config seems to be broken.. copy the msvcrt*.dll in your faked windows dir (e.g. /usr/wine/fake_windows/Windows)

also check your config for:

[DllOverrides]
; default for all other dlls
"*" = "builtin, native, so"
"msvcrt" = "native, builtin, so"

this should work

#mb
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mb bet me to it , but yeah i'd say your install broken somewhere to ..

Cheers
Dale.
Poseidon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mile wrote:
Ya, wc3 is a pleasant surprise, indeed. I haven't managed to get the movies running yet, either, but I am too happy with the way it plays to complain.

Does anyone else have the problem with lack of option to start a campaign? I just get the screen with choice of difficulty level and the back button. I have seen some mention of it, but no definite solution.

Yes, I can play multiplayer fine, but the single player campaigns are screwed up for me too. I believe it is a registry problem. Look at the save game directory and you'll see the values are tabbed way over to the right and the "magic" number seems off if you compare to an identical Winblows installation. I believe it is a Blizzard hack to prevent people from mucking around with the save games... I'm scanning through the Windows registry now to see if there is something there that is missing in my wine registry.
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool Poseidon let us know what you find , about the movies , I sort of got the never winter trailer to play (I think it uses the same format) using a heap'o native dll's but the screen was split into 4 and in screwed looking black and white , but ill have a shot with Warcraft 3 over the weekend and see what I can break :D
Cheers
Dale.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturn wrote:

wine: error while loading shared libraries: libntdll.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

nano -w /etc/ld.so.conf
and add /usr/local/lib to it

run ldconfig and it'll run like a charm :)
Saturn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mb wrote:
@Saturn

ur config seems to be broken.. copy the msvcrt*.dll in your faked windows dir (e.g. /usr/wine/fake_windows/Windows)

[DllOverrides]

this should work

#mb

Hello, its me again!

Ok, so I created the directory /usr/winex-cvs/fake_windows/Windows and copied msvcrt*.dll. Pardon me for my ignorance, but how does wine know it has to check that directory? Is there a config file I have to setup?

Also, you said I should check this config:

[DllOverrides]

where is this file?

Thanks again for your help.
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Saturn

Hey are you using the bin's or cvs version as if your using the bin's it will automagically create ~user~/Transgaming/windows/ and the same goes for cvs it should have already created a fake windows directory when you installed it , so it might pay to poke around the dir's and see if you can find it ,The cvs install should have asked you where you wanted the fake dir created , usually /c/windows ,
Cheers
Dale.
Saturn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swishy wrote:
Hi Saturn

Hey are you using the bin's or cvs version as if your using the bin's it will automagically create ~user~/Transgaming/windows/ and the same goes for cvs it should have already created a fake windows directory when you installed it , so it might pay to poke around the dir's and see if you can find it ,The cvs install should have asked you where you wanted the fake dir created , usually /c/windows ,
Cheers
Dale.

I'm using the cvs version. It never asked me about creation the fake directory! To make sure, I re-installed it a second time like this:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.winex.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/winex login
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.winex.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/winex -z 3 co -r quartz-pre-removal wine

mv wine winex-cvs
cd winex-cvs
./configure --prefix=/usr/wine --with-x --disable-trace --enable-opengl --disable-debug
make depend && make
su -
cd ~nix/winex-cvs
make install
cd /usr
mv wine winex-cvs
ln -s winex-cvs wine
cat /etc/ld.so.conf | grep /usr/wine/lib || echo '/usr/wine/lib' >> /etc/ld.so.conf
ldconfig
exit

As you see, I did what you show us in your post about installation.
At this step, is there a command I have to run so it will create that fake dir?

Thanks
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tools/wineinstall from the install dir, dunno if that regenerates a default config, so you may wanna pick it apart and do the create dir and generate registery stuff manualy.
Poseidon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:09 pm    Post subject: Single player now working correctly... Reply with quote

Swishy wrote:
cool Poseidon let us know what you find , about the movies , I sort of got the never winter trailer to play (I think it uses the same format) using a heap'o native dll's but the screen was split into 4 and in screwed looking black and white , but ill have a shot with Warcraft 3 over the weekend and see what I can break :D
Cheers
Dale.

Well, my instincts were correct, the single player campaigns need the registry settings that you would find in Windows. I am at work now, but will put together a .reg file that you can import by running regedit.exe (from a winblows distrib). Also ensure that your privileges in the /winedrv/Program Files/Warcraft III/save are: 1) chmod 777 and 2) chown you.yourgroup. I found it easier to copy my saved games over from Windoze and Load a game. After quitting the saved game, the single player campaign menus are there.

Has anyone had any luck getting the suspiciously-Quake3-looking pointer back to the Warcraft III mouse pointers? It's a real pain in the butt, because the crosshairs are not the target for the click, it's actually the upper left hand corner of the crosshairs which can make it visually difficult to play...
Poseidon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturn wrote:
mb wrote:
@Saturn

[DllOverrides]

this should work

#mb

Hello, its me again!

Ok, so I created the directory /usr/winex-cvs/fake_windows/Windows and copied msvcrt*.dll. Pardon me for my ignorance, but how does wine know it has to check that directory? Is there a config file I have to setup?

Also, you said I should check this config:

[DllOverrides]

where is this file?

Thanks again for your help.

Simple fix for dll's.., you should be dropping all of those files into your /winedrv/windows/system directory.
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm as neuron said give it a go by running ./tools/wineinstall from the dir you saved the cvs ver to.
As you will see I grabbed the cvs instructions from the transgaming forum and hadnt actually tried it yet as I already had the bin version installed , but I have previously installed the cvs version using the wineinstall cmd. and it worked sweet as so it could be worth giving that a go, let us know if you have any furthur troubles with that :)

Has anyone else noticed jerky gameplay while running with gentoo-sources kernel???, I since compiled a vanilla kernel and it runs sweet as now , any ideas as to what would be causing this...?? :roll:

Cheers
Dale.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swishy wrote:
mmm as neuron said give it a go by running ./tools/wineinstall from the dir you saved the cvs ver to.
As you will see I grabbed the cvs instructions from the transgaming forum and hadnt actually tried it yet as I already had the bin version installed , but I have previously installed the cvs version using the wineinstall cmd. and it worked sweet as so it could be worth giving that a go, let us know if you have any furthur troubles with that :)

Has anyone else noticed jerky gameplay while running with gentoo-sources kernel???, I since compiled a vanilla kernel and it runs sweet as now , any ideas as to what would be causing this...?? :roll:

Cheers
Dale.

preemtive patch possibly? I haven't really tried another kernel's performance in comparison in gaming. And installing without wineinstall works great if you don't need the registery setup and such.
Saturn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, I configured winex correctly and Warcraft III is installed!

Swishy, how did you edit your XF86Config to be able to switch in 800x600x24 ?

-->9. Start an X server in 800x600x24. I use
xinit -- /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 -screen WarcraftIII

Could you post your a part of your screen section?

Thanks!
LaZZer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 1:18 pm    Post subject: xinit -- /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 -screen WarcraftIII Reply with quote

I have made a screen section named WarcraftIII but when i use xinit -- /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 -screen WarcraftIII i get:

Xlib: connection to ":1.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

then X starts but no xterm. and the error keeps flooding in the main console
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturn wrote:
Finally, I configured winex correctly and Warcraft III is installed!

Swishy, how did you edit your XF86Config to be able to switch in 800x600x24 ?

-->9. Start an X server in 800x600x24. I use
xinit -- /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 -screen WarcraftIII

Could you post your a part of your screen section?

Thanks!

The easist way would be to try running it within an existing x session first as it ran fine on top of kde / enlightenment , I don't think you really get much of performance boost by running in it's own session , but I can post my config,once I get my current install finished (broke my 1.1 install due to my own stupidity so started from scratch with 1.2 :) )just make sure you have 800x600 in your current XF86Config...it should be sweet as. :)
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neuron wrote:
Swishy wrote:

Cheers
Dale.

preemtive patch possibly? I haven't really tried another kernel's performance in comparison in gaming. And installing without wineinstall works great if you don't need the registery setup and such.

Cheers Neuron , I thought that to ,but I recompiled without it and it still wasn't happy ,it dosnt want to work with either low lantency or preemptive patches applied.....it works fine with the stock vanilla kernel , but I like the reponse of the low latency patch, I 'm thinking it could be something to do with the patch and Matrox drivers....

Dale.
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Single player now working correctly... Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Swishy wrote:
Cheers
Dale.

Well, my instincts were correct, the single player campaigns need the registry settings that you would find in Windows. I am at work now, but will put together a .reg file that you can import by running regedit.exe (from a winblows distrib). Also ensure that your privileges in the /winedrv/Program Files/Warcraft III/save are: 1) chmod 777 and 2) chown you.yourgroup. I found it easier to copy my saved games over from Windoze and Load a game. After quitting the saved game, the single player campaign menus are there.

Has anyone had any luck getting the suspiciously-Quake3-looking pointer back to the Warcraft III mouse pointers? It's a real pain in the butt, because the crosshairs are not the target for the click, it's actually the upper left hand corner of the crosshairs which can make it visually difficult to play...

I ran it under the Winex bin and single player works fine straight up , it seems a bit wierd the winex bin and cvs would differ in the registry area??

Cheers
Dale.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks -- please do not discuss cracked software on these forums. Blizzard already has a bug up their ass about rogue bnet servers -- we don't want to be on their shit list should they decided to crack down on sites discussing how to remove/bypass their copy protection.

I don't care if that's the only way to get W3 working on linux. That's not a good excuse.

Locking this thread and deleting offending posts.

--kurt
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: