View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsunam
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
tsunam wrote:
steveL wrote:

I think it's only about 5-10% of programmers who actually get paid to do nothing but code. The rest of us have to deal with users; and other non-technical stuff affects everyone at some point or another.

A policy that bugs should be closed with a sufficient explanation that someone else can explain it, is minor imo. It's a bit like the note when you can't use emake in an ebuild: it helps everyone, as well as making the dev think about what they're doing.

Now that I can see being a guideline. One that really should not need to be said aloud but perhaps it does need to be reiterated. I agree many of us end up having to interact with users on some level. Internal and external users are ultimately the ones we all deal with as we are not in a glass bubble and have to develop some form of communication with people. Some people just never develop one that works well with most other people.

Agreed.

I don't see why it can't be a policy though. Failure to explain doesn't have to count as a major infraction (like being abusive to a new user should imo) but repeatedly refusing to explain, at least so that a fellow dev gets it, over a period of eg 6 months, should be afaic. It's a technical policy, with a technical motivation: maintenance.

The reason is that we've become too policy driven. That everything has to be done a certain way. That's counter to the entire open source movement. We're artificially restricting ourselves and what we can do by applying so many rules to the process. Now we can't be in complete anarchy and some of the rules and related stuff have improved things, but I personally Ideally want to remove some of the perceived/actual barriers that exist. Course thats just all my own personal thinking about how things should be.

I don't know about you..but I don't like feeling like I am walking on eggshells all the time.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsunam wrote:
steveL wrote:
I don't see why it can't be a policy though. Failure to explain doesn't have to count as a major infraction (like being abusive to a new user should imo) but repeatedly refusing to explain, at least so that a fellow dev gets it, over a period of eg 6 months, should be afaic. It's a technical policy, with a technical motivation: maintenance.

The reason is that we've become too policy driven. That everything has to be done a certain way. That's counter to the entire open source movement. We're artificially restricting ourselves and what we can do by applying so many rules to the process. Now we can't be in complete anarchy and some of the rules and related stuff have improved things, but I personally Ideally want to remove some of the perceived/actual barriers that exist. Course thats just all my own personal thinking about how things should be.

I don't know about you..but I don't like feeling like I am walking on eggshells all the time.

Yeah I agree; but this is too fundamental imo. It's a minor point that no-one in their right mind should argue with, exactly like commenting your code. As I said, we're talking about repeated, wilful infractions, which is exactly what moderators/devrel/HR are there to evaluate. Of course you have an appeals mechanism but that's a given, same as Council members can appeal against being marked slackers.

If there are a load of other policies, fair enough. I haven't seen many, especially wrt bug handling, which is somewhere many users have felt let-down. What do you feel are the extraneous ones?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: