Wine 1.8.2 [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony0945
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Wine 1.8.2 [SOLVED] Reply with quote

This version is considered stable by upstream but is not even in the tree. 1.8.1 is in the tree but 1.8.2 is supposed to have bug fixes.

I was going to emerge 1.8.1 anyway but it wanted a ton of use flag changes. Instead I tried to create a local 1.8.2 ebuild by copying the official 1.6.2 ebuild and files. However there were two patches that emerge failed on. These were wine-1.4_rc2-multilib-portage.patch and wine-1.7.2-osmesa-check.patch (I don't think I'm using mesa anyway). I commented these out along with wine-gcc-4.9-null-pointer.patch because I'm using gcc 4.8.5 The ebuild then worked and I've tested my applications and they work much better than 1.6.2, in fact, they seem platinum.

My questions are "Why isn't 1.8.2 in the tree{ not why isn't it marked stable but why is it not even in the tree?

Also, are those patches I deleted still needed? They seem to be used in later versions so I wonder why I got "epatch failed".

EDIT: wine-gcc-4.9-null-pointer.patch fails also.

Does anyone have 1.8.2 in an overlay?

Last edited by Tony0945 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
NP-Hardass
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wine 1.8.2 Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
This version is considered stable by upstream but is not even in the tree. 1.8.1 is in the tree but 1.8.2 is supposed to have bug fixes.

I was going to emerge 1.8.1 anyway but it wanted a ton of use flag changes. Instead I tried to create a local 1.8.2 ebuild by copying the official 1.6.2 ebuild and files. However there were two patches that emerge failed on. These were wine-1.4_rc2-multilib-portage.patch and wine-1.7.2-osmesa-check.patch (I don't think I'm using mesa anyway). I commented these out along with wine-gcc-4.9-null-pointer.patch because I'm using gcc 4.8.5 The ebuild then worked and I've tested my applications and they work much better than 1.6.2, in fact, they seem platinum.

My questions are "Why isn't 1.8.2 in the tree{ not why isn't it marked stable but why is it not even in the tree?

Also, are those patches I deleted still needed? They seem to be used in later versions so I wonder why I got "epatch failed".

EDIT: wine-gcc-4.9-null-pointer.patch fails also.

Does anyone have 1.8.2 in an overlay?

Firstly, 1.8.2 was only released by upstream 3 days ago. Additionally, Wine version bumps cannot be made until Wine-Staging makes it's release, which is usually Sundays, sometimes Mondays. Learn a little patience.
Tony0945
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't realize it was only three days old. I haven't checked for a year or two. Started to wonder because my reviews were being rejected because of "version too old". So I googled for stable version and got 1.8.2 - with no date. https://www.winehq.org/

Would you please answer my second question? It's hard to tell with text, but I am asking nicely.
NP-Hardass
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
Didn't realize it was only three days old. I haven't checked for a year or two. Started to wonder because my reviews were being rejected because of "version too old". So I googled for stable version and got 1.8.2 - with no date. https://www.winehq.org/

Would you please answer my second question? It's hard to tell with text, but I am asking nicely.

I'm not sure which question you are referring to. If it is about patches, the most up to date are in the 9999. If it is about stables, there were several reasons for delaying releases to 1.8.x, but as soon as 1.8.1 hits the 1 month mark, I plan on stabilizing it. Bear in mind that 1.8.x has only existed since the beginning of the year. Add to that that there have been reasons too not stabilize a 1.8.x yet. 1.8.1 will be the first version to get the stable label in Gentoo.
Tony0945
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was referring to 1.8.2 apparently working well, better than 1.6.2 even though I commented out the patches. I suppose it's moot. Will continue running like this until you put an official ebuild into the tree.

I've been dual booting with XP for years (200 before that). Planning on going dark on Windows later this year. A major effort was replacing SageTV which is too hardware intensive for WINE. I've got a replacement working with the essentials features so running MsMoney and VideoRedo are the last apps. I know there are other Linux financial apps, and MsMoney is abandonware but I have 16 years of data in it. Looks like it's running OK. (Looked pretty good in 1.6.2 also probably because it's a sixteen year old program).

Thank you for your quick responses. Marking this solved.
NP-Hardass
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
Was referring to 1.8.2 apparently working well, better than 1.6.2 even though I commented out the patches. I suppose it's moot. Will continue running like this until you put an official ebuild into the tree.

I've been dual booting with XP for years (200 before that). Planning on going dark on Windows later this year. A major effort was replacing SageTV which is too hardware intensive for WINE. I've got a replacement working with the essentials features so running MsMoney and VideoRedo are the last apps. I know there are other Linux financial apps, and MsMoney is abandonware but I have 16 years of data in it. Looks like it's running OK. (Looked pretty good in 1.6.2 also probably because it's a sixteen year old program).

Thank you for your quick responses. Marking this solved.

Ah, if you mean, why was there no stable release between 1.6.2 and 1.8, upstream didn't release a stable candidate between 2014 and December of last year :P I'm looking forward to getting it stabilized. Our users should be using a newer version as the baseline.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: