AC ' 97 Audio and Module configuration
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LostInGentoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 10:38 am    Post subject: AC ' 97 Audio and Module configuration Reply with quote

Hey!

Yeah, I'm a real newbie to Linux asking to many questions, but anyway gentoo seems nice enough. I just installed the GNOME2 desktop environment and seem to have a little trouble with sound-configuration. I have a ASUS A7V133-A Motherboard which has onboard AC ' 97 Audio. I don't know how to configure this onboard audio card, but I started following the "Gentoo Linux Desktop Configuration Guide" and got into trouble where I should autoload the sound modules. The guide tells me to look in "/lib/modules/[kernel version]/misc/" for a list of available modules - the thing is, that there isn't any directory called misc :(

I really could use some help here - what have I done wrong during installation and how can I change these settings!

Hope you can help!
flater
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you compiled in sound support into the kernel? I have had trouble putting it in directly, compiling it as a module solved the problem.
If you follow the directions to install ALSA, make sure that gnome does NOT load a sound server, as it standardly loads ESD, which locked up sound on my system. When I killed the ESD process, sound played again ...
LostInGentoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 12:22 pm    Post subject: /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such file or directory) Reply with quote

Hey - I compiled my kernel having built in support for audio (not as a module) - The kernel itself chose the Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI 97 (ES1371) - How can i configure Alsa when the driver is directly added into the kernel and not as a module?
LostInGentoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw I get this anoying error when starting KDE3 og GNOME2:
/dev/dsp can't be opened (No such file or directory)

It's a sound server informational message - I guess it's the built in sound server in KDE and GNOME that can't find my sound device - I guess I should correct that error in the first place and then try configuring Alsa afterwards - Can anybody help me here!!!
shall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:19 pm    Post subject: Audio w/out modules Reply with quote

Hey there,
I compiled sound into my kernel as well and was getting the same annoying messages.
I tried to change the permissions on /dev/sound/dsp and /dev/sound/mixer as root
"chmod 666 /dev/sound/mixer chmod 666 /dev/sound/dsp"
and all worked fine, UNTIL a reboot or at next startup when the permissions would be back to "664" for user root and group audio...
To fix all I uninstalled alsa as root
"emerge unmerge media-sound/alsa-drivers"
then took it out of the default boot
"rc-update del alsa default"
Then I edited "/etc/devfsd.conf" and commented out the lines for "ALSA OSS STUFF"
in particular the lines
"REGISTER sound/.* PERMISSIONS root.audio 660"
"REGISTER snd/.* PERMISSIONS root.audio 660"
so that the permissions did not get reset every time my machine booted.
Then "cat > somefile.wav" played a nice sound for me using the (compiled in) driver for the cmi8738 sound onboard my SOYO board.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: