View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: 2.5.74 released. Reply with quote

Changelog
Release announcement
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing of interest - the most interesting thing on lkml right now is Con Kolivas' lastest insane hacks O1int and time gran. (the latter is in pfeifer sources now I think).

Also Mike has an idea for a general framework to boost priorities during special sitiuations like audio and video access, sounds very promising for us poor desktop users.
RedBeard0531
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actualy, it looks like it fixes the xfs problems I was having. Each reboot, it would fail log replay, now I know why.
abracadaver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm using the vanilla and there's really no noticeable differences from what i was using before , which was .73-bk6, Rhythmbox skips a little less with each release though, but direct alsa with xmms has been unshakeable as of the later revisions of 73

i do, however, have kind of a general kernel question, about the cfq and as schedulers, are they available in all kernels or just mm? and is there a way to tell for sure if you have it enabled, or are you just to assume because you put the parameter in your kernel line that it worked?
RedBeard0531
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abracadaver wrote:
i do, however, have kind of a general kernel question, about the cfq and as schedulers, are they available in all kernels or just mm? and is there a way to tell for sure if you have it enabled, or are you just to assume because you put the parameter in your kernel line that it worked?

I cant answer your question, biut I HIGHLY suggest you stick to AS, the defualt elevator. It offers much higher performance on HD intensive apps. On some programs, I've noticed a 5-10x speedup! The only problem is that mp3's skip everynow and again. This has to do with the way that they work.

*the technichal stuff i've peiced together, so it may be wrong*
AS (anticipatory scheduler) gives proccesses a larger period of time to stream data, then anticipates their needs, and caches them. IIRC it give more weight to priority. The CFQ (consistantly fair que (SP?)) is more fair. each proccess is strictly limited in the amount of io it can get at a time. This benefits programs like XMMS which dont use good buffers. It allows them to get io more often, reducing skips. This is inneficiant as the HD is constantly seeking to differant area, the slowest opperation for most HDs. Also it will slowdont things like compiling and encoding video as they are always having to give up access to the HD ,causing them to idle.

btw- is there any good docs explaining this? I checked /usr/src/linux/Documentation, but didnt find anything.
broschi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing interesting, what about:

linus wrote:

htree: set the dir index bit in the right place
ext3: fix page lock vs journal_start ranking bug
ext3: fix memory leak

Is the reign of terror over? The htree bug is responsible for millions of wasted GB including a few of my own. I wish somebody more knownledgable than me could enlight us.
pens
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<greg@kroah.com>
I2C: add i2c-ali1535 bus driver

Ported from the i2c cvs tree.

Hopefully this will allow my laptop to finally read sensors data...

/me rushes off to compile...
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm1 is out

Quote:
. Included Con's CPU scheduler changes. Feedback on the effectiveness of
this and the usual benchmarks would be interesting.
:D
Safrax
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.74-mm1 seems to have gotten rid of that annoying bug that was randomly "losing" processes.. It feels sooooo smooth too..
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
mm1 is out

Quote:
. Included Con's CPU scheduler changes. Feedback on the effectiveness of
this and the usual benchmarks would be interesting.
:D

I second that :D
I don't know if it was specifically the O1int hacks or something else beyond my understanding, but the previously mentioned ALSA skip I was experiencing is gone. 100%. The only time XMMS misses a beat is when whipping an xterm around and a new file opens, and even then it's not but a pop. Crux + Nautilus seems to be a lot more responsive, too. XMMS, xchat, galeon, and doing a lot of large directory reads in nautilus is one of my "this feels good" benchmarks, and I think this the first time I've been pleased with the results.

On the downside, however, since .73-mm2, the kernel has been oopsing (hooray trying to kill init) on boot if I have Use DMA by default enabled. But, I think my chipset is one of those warned against in the kernel config, so I guess I'll live.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.74-mm1 is much better but far from prefect - Con has he might have some tricks up his sleeve yet to aid the crappiness of the scheduler.
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving and resizing windows performance has greatly decreased for me, windows can't keep up with the mouse... looks funny, windows moving on their own.

hmmm, think it could be related to min_timeslice 1 ?
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
Moving and resizing windows performance has greatly decreased for me, windows can't keep up with the mouse... looks funny, windows moving on their own.

hmmm, think it could be related to min_timeslice 1 ?

Time slices set to 1 is known to cause trashing max = min = 10 is probably the safest if you must decrease them.
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.5.74 nuked ACPI for me. Had to boot with ACPI=off. Other than that, seems nice. I haven't locked up yet, still getting the badness errors. *shrug* If anything I feel like I should always reply to these threads just to bookmark them.
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Lovechidl, changing min_timeslice solved it.

handsomepete wrote:
2.5.74 nuked ACPI for me. Had to boot with ACPI=off. Other than that, seems nice. I haven't locked up yet, still getting the badness errors. *shrug* If anything I feel like I should always reply to these threads just to bookmark them.

Look just below the reply button at the bottom of the page ;)
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is veering off topic, sorry. Doesn't "watching" the topic just send you e-mails? I'm not even sure I used a real e-mail address to sign up for these forums. I usually just login here, view my posts then view posts since my last visit and that's how I track. *shrug* It's probably the stupid way to do it, but since I mostly browse at work it's virtually the only way. I don't leave my email open all day (or check it that often, really).

So, does anyone know what the Badness in pci_find_subsys at drivers/pci/search.c:128 errors are all about? Someone mentioned that they're not volitile, but they do line up with processes stalling on my system (which seems less frequent with .74).
togge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get compiling error when i enable APM in the kernel

Anyone else have the same problem, or is it just me ?
Freak_NL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.. finally figured out what was going PANIC all the time something was compiling.. XFS' page buffer apparantly did. Finally figured that out after setting my console font a little smaller (more lines) :?

..so now I'm back with a ReiserFS root. :) I'll see about cloning this partition to a XFS setup for a bugreport. (I love tar; Linux: the cloneable OS)

Vanilla 2.5.74 seems to like my desktop computer though. :)

Now on to the laptop.. 2.5 series means losing my touchpad (nothing special, it's just like a PS/2 mouse) and losing network.. My onboard Realtek gives a garbage HWaddr in ifconfig and happily transmits stuff who knows where, but doesn't receive a single bit. :(
-leliel-
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got it working after a few hours ...

but it seems to be very slow with my wm (kahakai/waimea) and X ... :(

so long
thubble
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ck's O2int patch has been released! It's apparently an improvement on O1int, and it patches against 2.5.74-mm1. Also, his granularity patch is available, which apparently makes desktop performance smoother but decreases throughput. Both are available at http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/2.5/

Going to go patch and recompile 2.5.74-mm1. I'll let you know how it goes.
bart
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Freak_NL I've some troubles with my laptop since 2.5.73.
My mouse (normal ps/2 synaptics) doesn'r do anything.
In 2.5.73 there was a "psmouse compile fix". I'm afraid that this fix broke more than it fixed :)
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thubble wrote:
ck's O2int patch has been released! It's apparently an improvement on O1int, and it patches against 2.5.74-mm1. Also, his granularity patch is available, which apparently makes desktop performance smoother but decreases throughput. Both are available at http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/2.5/

Going to go patch and recompile 2.5.74-mm1. I'll let you know how it goes.

Please report back on the effects of this patch - Con told me on IRC that he was working on fixing a set of issues I and other reported with the old patch. As I'm unable to get in touch with my Linux PC atm I cannot test this patch.
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not realy noticing any improvements with the O2 sched patch :?

As for window movement, why don't I just turn opaque off? :lol:

EDIT: Wireframe is what I mean :wink:
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the second 2.5 kernel I've tried - but the first one I tried doesn't really count, it was very early (2.5.4 or something like that, I think) and didn't boot. So, right now, I'm able to post on here using a 2.5 kernel. Largely, all is going well!

However, I have a fairly major problem, or two. The first (and most serious) is that gnome-terminal is now completely and utterly shafted. It doesn't segfault - I could probably fix it if it was doing that. No, this is far worse. I start gnome-terminal, and am presented with nothing but a box and a flashing cursor. I don't get a prompt - just a cursor. It won't accept any input. Has anyone else had this problem? More to the point, if so, has anyone managed to fix it yet?!

The second problem is that on all consoles apart from tty1, the cursor disappears entirely. This is also really annoying, as it means that I have to guess where the cursor is when I'm trying to edit previous lines, unless I keep it at the end of the line by deleting everything (not exactly preferable).

So apart from a fairly drastic lack of a usable command-line environment, I am, on the whole, very happy indeed with this new kernel.

Someone please help me out - I don't want to go back to a 2.4 kernel simply because I've lost my command line!!

Cheers,

Rob

[EDIT: I found the alsactl store thingy, so never mind about the muting thing...]
floam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robmoss2k: Go into kernel config and turn on Unix98 PTS support to get your terminals working.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: