"clean gentoo linux" tips searched
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexander.ew
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: "clean gentoo linux" tips searched Reply with quote

First of all I want to express that I really very much like the way that gentoo linux is offerning its users some kind of freedom
to design their system which users of other OSes might dream of.

But I need some advice.

lately I monitored the install of the Software vlc which is available as an ebuild within the portage.
When I checked its dependencies using emerge with -pv parameters I saw a shocking list of 19
other packages which came as a "side-effect" of only wanting the functionality of vlc as a player.

I see that most of the packages are more or less really necessary but I can't overlook my dissappointment that
some - in my eyes - really unnessecary packages like kde-base/arts have been installed though I am using a gnome system and thus an USE-Flags -kde.

Maybe what I'd like to rise here is the question about these dependecies and why they so horribly tend to shift a bucnhload of software adn files on my Pc which I in most cases never used?

I hope there are some productive comments giving me some ideas, I'm sure that there will be ciritcs (as I see that I'm unfortunatelly no expert in portage dependencies and just guess that they sometimes are stupid causing unnessary wastage of memory and even worse as I suspect all additional packages as kind of slowdown of the system speed - since I already experience Linux as still slower then my previous windows installation as much as I want to not see this)
ltboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-kde doesn't kill ARtS. You need -arts for that. I am currently running a full KDE env without arts even installed... Yeah... Even KDE users don't like that one.
So, basically, just look at the use flags when you emerge -pv or -av or whatever. typically, the package you're trying to not use is enabled by a use flag, just sometimes not by an all-encompassing flag like "kde"
i92guboj

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "clean gentoo linux" tips searched Reply with quote

alexander.ew wrote:

I see that most of the packages are more or less really necessary but I can't overlook my dissappointment that
some - in my eyes - really unnessecary packages like kde-base/arts have been installed though I am using a gnome system and thus an USE-Flags -kde.

You are wrong. If it is pulled into the dependency tree it is because it is needed. There are two ways to remove the need for the dependency, which is the first step to remove the dependency itself:

1.- You can use -arts if the package that pulled arts into the tree has such a flag.
2.- You can uninstall that package if it has no arts use flag. Then you'll need a replacement for it.

Quote:
Maybe what I'd like to rise here is the question about these dependecies and why they so horribly tend to shift a bucnhload of software adn files on my Pc which I in most cases never used?

That misinterpretation of the facts that you made come from the fact that you don't understand how use flags work. All that bunch, as you name it, is in the tree because it is needed. Above I explain possible ways to remove that need (and simplify the dependency graph). Portage basically does what you tell it to do. If you install a given package that needs arts, then arts will be installed. It might be that the package has arts turned on, or it might be that it just needs arts because the dependency is not conditional.

Quote:

I hope there are some productive comments giving me some ideas, I'm sure that there will be ciritcs (as I see that I'm unfortunatelly no expert in portage dependencies and just guess that they sometimes are stupid causing unnessary wastage of memory and even worse as I suspect all additional packages as kind of slowdown of the system speed - since I already experience Linux as still slower then my previous windows installation as much as I want to not see this)

Well, the use flags are nothing trivial to deal with. If you are new to Gentoo, don't be afraid to experiment, and don't worry too much about it. Just ask here or in the mailing lists all the times that you need info about something.

One thing about use flags and dependencies: when you are going to install a given package you can do it this way:

Code:

emerge -aDvt <package name>

This will present you with a list of all the dependencies that will be merged along with <package name>. And you will also see the use flags that are on and off. -t means "tree", so, that way you can see what packages are pulling other packages into your system.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: