Team for PS3 [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Team for PS3 [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hello all,

I wonder if there is any team/herd to prepare Gentoo for the PS3?
If there is I would like to help.

Cheers,

Paulo Matos

Last edited by pmatos on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PPC64 team (well, mostly ranger) works on the PS3 port. You can talk to him on IRC at #gentoo-ppc64 on freenode.net.
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseJX wrote:
The PPC64 team (well, mostly ranger) works on the PS3 port. You can talk to him on IRC at #gentoo-ppc64 on freenode.net.

Thanks, I will.
I've found:
Code:
http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/cell/wiki/InstallGentooOnPS3

There seems to be at least a typo in the end:
Quote:
To install a GRP file, you simply pass the -g flag to emerge. For example, to install xfce4 you would:

# emerge -G kde

Either the author meant "install kde" or "emerge -G xfce4".

Moreover, it is said the I can load the stage 4 from a USB pen. What's the best way to copy the Iso to USB? Should I just copy the ISO contents to the USB or is there any more reliable way?

It aso says stage 4 is better, is the stage for the following file:
Code:
http://gentoo.osuosl.org/experimental/ppc64/livecd/livecd-ps3-xfce4-20071212-r1.iso
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseJX wrote:

Is that his nick on IRC?
Quote:
-NickServ- Nickname: ranger
-NickServ- Registered: 3 years 15 weeks 4 days (17h 28m 58s) ago
-NickServ- Last Seen: 3 years 15 weeks 4 days (16h 59m 19s) ago
-NickServ- Last Seen Address: ~Snak@h000c3035a570.ne.client2.attbi.com
-NickServ- Last Seen Quit Msg: "Snak 4.12 IRC For Mac - http://www.snak.com"
-NickServ- Nickname Options: Secure, AllowMemos, MemoNotify, MemoSignon
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmatos wrote:
JoseJX wrote:

Is that his nick on IRC?
Quote:
-NickServ- Nickname: ranger
-NickServ- Registered: 3 years 15 weeks 4 days (17h 28m 58s) ago
-NickServ- Last Seen: 3 years 15 weeks 4 days (16h 59m 19s) ago
-NickServ- Last Seen Address: ~Snak@h000c3035a570.ne.client2.attbi.com
-NickServ- Last Seen Quit Msg: "Snak 4.12 IRC For Mac - http://www.snak.com"
-NickServ- Nickname Options: Secure, AllowMemos, MemoNotify, MemoSignon

Got it! :-) rangerpb!
rangerpb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: fixed and thanks Reply with quote

pmatos,

I fixed the typo. Because I now ship xfce4 as part of the stage4, I simply changed the emerge instruction; however, I missed the leading sentence.

I think you need clarification on the difference between a "stage" and "bootable media" aka livecd/minimal cd. In the world of Gentoo:

a stage is a compressed tarball with a working root filesystem. Depending on the stage [1-4, where 1&2 are not supported], the completeness of the stage may vary. A stage is something you install onto your system or removable r/w media.

a boot media or livecd/minimal cd is something you use typically to perform and the install of a stage. The LiveCD, comparable to a Knoppix CD, is a graphical based CD/DVD that should load up into X and provide the user with a desktop environment...mileage may vary. The minimal installcd lacks the graphical environment and is intended for install purposes only, although some use it for rescue purposes as well.

Join us on IRC if you have more questions. Many of the fine folks that hang out there can be of some help.
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: fixed and thanks Reply with quote

rangerpb wrote:
pmatos,

I fixed the typo. Because I now ship xfce4 as part of the stage4, I simply changed the emerge instruction; however, I missed the leading sentence.

I think you need clarification on the difference between a "stage" and "bootable media" aka livecd/minimal cd. In the world of Gentoo:

a stage is a compressed tarball with a working root filesystem. Depending on the stage [1-4, where 1&2 are not supported], the completeness of the stage may vary. A stage is something you install onto your system or removable r/w media.

a boot media or livecd/minimal cd is something you use typically to perform and the install of a stage. The LiveCD, comparable to a Knoppix CD, is a graphical based CD/DVD that should load up into X and provide the user with a desktop environment...mileage may vary. The minimal installcd lacks the graphical environment and is intended for install purposes only, although some use it for rescue purposes as well.

Join us on IRC if you have more questions. Many of the fine folks that hang out there can be of some help.

Hello Ranger, thanks for the clarification although I did know that (I think).
Everytime I installed Gentoo, which happened quite a few times on normal (Intel/AMD) archs I started from a stage1 CD (which was barely about 50 Mgs as far as I recall).

My question is two fold:
1 . I wouldn't like to burn a CD. So, I guess the best way would be to boot gentoo on PS3 through a USB pen. To do that, do I just need to mount the ISO on a folder and copy it onto the USB?
2 . Guessing I already have the ISO on the USB (and the ISO is the livecd image (with the stage4) found on the mirrors), it has a PS3 folder, is this PS3 folder already uptodate with latest sony updates to kboot?

Hopefully that's it. After that I guess the install will be similar to other gentoo installs, right?
corsair
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: fixed and thanks Reply with quote

pmatos wrote:
Everytime I installed Gentoo, which happened quite a few times on normal (Intel/AMD) archs I started from a stage1 CD (which was barely about 50 Mgs as far as I recall).

There is no such thing as a "stage 1 cd". you mean "minimal cd" ;-)

If you want it working fast, then just burn and boot the cd. ranger might know the steps for creating a bootable usb stick. it *should* be possible, although i'm not sure.

-markus
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: fixed and thanks Reply with quote

corsair wrote:
pmatos wrote:

There is no such thing as a "stage 1 cd". you mean "minimal cd" ;-)

If you want it working fast, then just burn and boot the cd. ranger might know the steps for creating a bootable usb stick. it *should* be possible, although i'm not sure.

-markus

I don't know about now but there was a stage 1 cd. I remembered it perfectly about 5/6 years ago.
I know it is possible to use a usb stick, i just don't know the details of 'burning' to a usb stick.
rangerpb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/cell/wiki/BootLiveCDfromUSB describes this. It needs to be updated to reflect the 2.6.23 device tree.

You can copy the livecd and stage tarball to the usb stick and install from that.
rangerpb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those docs should be more or less accurate now. use the kboot image at http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/CELL-Linux-CL_20071220-ADDON/PS3/otheros/otheros.bld as it is the most recent.
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerpb wrote:
those docs should be more or less accurate now. use the kboot image at http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/CELL-Linux-CL_20071220-ADDON/PS3/otheros/otheros.bld as it is the most recent.

What should be the filesystem type of the USB with the livecd?
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmatos wrote:
rangerpb wrote:

What should be the filesystem type of the USB with the livecd?

Ok, it should be FAT. :-)
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerpb wrote:
http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/cell/wiki/BootLiveCDfromUSB describes this. It needs to be updated to reflect the 2.6.23 device tree.

You can copy the livecd and stage tarball to the usb stick and install from that.

Hello again,

I have not the kboot.conf prompt, however, hitting tab shows nothing.
I had before installed YDL from when I bought my PS3, I however, had already formatted both boot partition and root partitions on the disk so there is no longer a previous kboot.conf.
In the kboot.conf in the livecd I changed sr0 to ps3da1 and when I go to the shell and cat /etc/kboot.conf its contents is:
Code:
root=LABEL=/

Don't understand why this is so or why I get nothing whatsoever from hitting tab in the kboot prompt. Any suggestions?

[EDIT]
I thought I had it figured it out by now. I got that sr0 should be changed to the device with my usb pen so there I go replacing the kboot.conf file in my usb pen to the device where it'll be in the ps3 which is sdb1. I connect the pen, the kboot prompt appear but nothing happens, in fact the same thing happens which is nothing. I go to sh and try to mount the pen with "mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/root" and it works. I go to its etc subfolder and there it is my file with sdb1. However, the file names are like kboot~1.con, which is typical of fat filesystems I guess. Any suggestions from here?
[/EDIT]

Cheers,
Paulo Matos
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, current situation is. I change sr0 to sda1, where (supposedly) the usb pen partition will come to live and kboot shows no options. :-(
However, filenames are shown with tildes.
For example (after mounting the pen in /mnt/root):
Code:

~# ls /mnt/root
boot             gettin~1.txt         livecd       readme.txt
etc               image~1.squ       ps3         

Doing the same thing in my gentoo laptop shows the correct names. I thought it had to do with the c option of fdisk (dos compat flag) but I tried with and without it to the same result. I also tried with W95 FAT32 and W95 FAT32 (LBA) with same results.

Don't have anymore ideas. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Paulo Matos
rangerpb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulo,

As I said on IRC, I think that the problem is a kernel option. I forget which one it is but I fought this on the install kernel I built for PASemi hardware and had the exact same problem. Just format as ext3 and things should be fine.
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerpb wrote:
Paulo,

As I said on IRC, I think that the problem is a kernel option. I forget which one it is but I fought this on the install kernel I built for PASemi hardware and had the exact same problem. Just format as ext3 and things should be fine.

It worked! :-) Finally, so you need vfat for kboot and ext3 for livecd! :-) okidoki!
Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: