Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-1.2.0 keyboard problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mathfeel
l33t
l33t


Joined: 03 Aug 2004
Posts: 700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized that besides the few (EE) appearing in my Xorg.0.log there is actually nothing much wrong with my keyboard and mouse. Here are my installed hal and evdev:
Code:
 Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-1.2.0  USE="-debug" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] sys-apps/hal-0.5.10  USE="acpi crypt laptop -apm -debug -dell -disk-partition -doc (-selinux)" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] app-misc/hal-info-20071030  0 kB


So, what are people's symptoms? No keyboard or mouse at all? Or some odd behavior??
_________________
-----------------------------------------------------------
"In heaven all the interesting people are missing"
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Posts: 1464
Location: das kleinste Kuhdorf Deutschlands :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mouse was able to move only up and down.
xinput list showed 6 devices and my mouse was recognized as a keyboard as far as I can tel from xinput's output.
_________________
"I knew when an angel whispered into my ear,
You gotta get him away, yeah
Hey little bitch!
Be glad you finally walked away or you may have not lived another day."
Godsmack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
devsk
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 2899
Location: Bay Area, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the folks who are not using HALD doing to fix problems with evdev?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 11 Oct 2002
Posts: 1734
Location: Kentucky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathfeel wrote:

So, what are people's symptoms? No keyboard or mouse at all? Or some odd behavior??


I had my logitech expert mouse set to scroll with button eight and the ball because the ring quit working but that was minor compared to what happened to my keyboard. Most of my cymotion linux keys were being interpreted wrong and some even caused actions that were assigned to different combinations.
_________________
Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
keenblade
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Posts: 1087

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
What are the folks who are not using HALD doing to fix problems with evdev?

As didumos stated,
the only way to get the evdev driver working without a HAL-based xserver is stating the device node that the driver should use in xorg.conf. Like this:
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Mouse1"
        Driver          "evdev"
        Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/event0"
        Option          "evBits"        "+1-2"
        Option          "keyBits"       "~272-287"
        Option          "relBits"       "~0-2 ~6 ~8"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Keyboard1"
        Driver          "evdev"
        Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/event1"
        Option          "evBits"        "+1"
        Option          "keyBits"       "~1-255 ~352-511"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "gb"
EndSection

Also what I understand from didumos is;
The code that scans the devices on the system (i.e. /dev/input/event*) to figure out which one to use within evdev driver is removed, so that the driver could use the new HAL-based input device detection in the 1.4 xserver. And since the upstream did not explain how to configure xorg.conf for the new behavior yet, adding device node is required for me even with using hal.

Edit :
Before I read the following blog entries from hal maintainer of gentoo, I was thinking it is a crazy thing to go without hal. Now I think I can live without it. An open source project must be open source:
HAL 0.5.10 and Things TODO before hitting the tree
No longer maintaining Gentoo’s HAL
_________________
Anyway it's all the same at the end...
Need help to get it working: "x-fi surround 5.1"


Last edited by keenblade on Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LqR
n00b
n00b


Joined: 11 Jan 2008
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I've understood the situation, what's happened is that with hal-0.5.10, xf86-input-evdev-1.2.0 and xorg server 1.4 built with the hal USE flag, xorg will ignore your keyboard configuration in the xorg.conf and use HAL to deal with your keyboard in stead (at least commenting/uncommenting my keyboard configuration does nothing). I read about it in a post titled "How to keep your keyboard layout with HAL 0.5.10 / Xorg server 1.4 / evdev input driver" on Planet Gentoo, but it seems to be mysteriously vanished now.

Anyway, what I did (and what that post among other things suggested) was copying /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi to /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-keymap.fdi and edit it to the following:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.keymap">
      <append key="info.callouts.add" type="strlist">hal-setup-keymap</append>
    </match>

    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.keys">
      <merge key="input.xkb.rules" type="string">xorg</merge>

      <!-- If we're using Linux, we use evdev by default (falling back to
           keyboard otherwise). -->
      <merge key="input.xkb.model" type="string">keyboard</merge>
      <match key="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer:system.kernel.name"
             string="Linux">
        <merge key="input.xkb.model" type="string">evdev</merge>
      </match>

      <merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">se</merge>
      <merge key="input.xkb.variant" type="string" />
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

Which worked, but some of my keys (home, for example) wouldn't work until i removed xmodmap -e "keycode 115 = F20" from my .xinitrc. It seems everything will become b0rked if you use xmodmap or similar. Note that you'll have to restart hald (and have it started!) or changes won't have any effect.

Of course, everything can be quickly fixed by adding
Code:

>=sys-apps/hal-0.5.10
>=x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-1.2.0
>=app-misc/hal-info-20071011

to your package.mask or possibly by not using the hal USE flag when building xorg.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Genetic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 111

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm also experiencing problems with a German notebook keyboard. Using

Code:

Driver "evdev"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event4"
Option "XkbLayout" "de"


makes X use a German keymap, but it does not recognize all buttons. In my old config, I had activated the "pc105" model, how do I do this with evdev?

//Genetic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
devsk
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 2899
Location: Bay Area, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
>=sys-apps/hal-0.5.10
>=x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-1.2.0
>=app-misc/hal-info-20071011
Is what I had to do to get my mouse working properly again. HAL is not an option for me because I think it is just cr*@. You run it and many things like suspend/resume will just break.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
keenblade
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Posts: 1087

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genetic wrote:
Hi,

I'm also experiencing problems with a German notebook keyboard. Using

Code:

Driver "evdev"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event4"
Option "XkbLayout" "de"


makes X use a German keymap, but it does not recognize all buttons. In my old config, I had activated the "pc105" model, how do I do this with evdev?

//Genetic

Does it work:
Code:

setxkbmap -model evdev -layout de -verbose

Did you try to configure keyboard and layout within your DE?

Also try like this:
Code:

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Keyboard0"
   Driver      "evdev"
   Option "Device" "/dev/input/event4"
   Option      "CoreKeyboard"
   Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
   Option "XkbModel" "evdev"
   Option "XkbLayout" "de"
EndSection

_________________
Anyway it's all the same at the end...
Need help to get it working: "x-fi surround 5.1"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jespera
n00b
n00b


Joined: 03 Feb 2005
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LqR wrote:

Anyway, what I did (and what that post among other things suggested) was copying /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi to /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-keymap.fdi and edit it to the following:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.keymap">
      <append key="info.callouts.add" type="strlist">hal-setup-keymap</append>
    </match>

    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.keys">
      <merge key="input.xkb.rules" type="string">xorg</merge>

      <!-- If we're using Linux, we use evdev by default (falling back to
           keyboard otherwise). -->
      <merge key="input.xkb.model" type="string">keyboard</merge>
      <match key="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer:system.kernel.name"
             string="Linux">
        <merge key="input.xkb.model" type="string">evdev</merge>
      </match>

      <merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">se</merge>
      <merge key="input.xkb.variant" type="string" />
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>



I would just like to take the time to say a very big thank you here. The above solved all my problems with my keyboard worries using hal-0.5.10.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Genetic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 111

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keenblade wrote:

Does it work:
Code:

setxkbmap -model evdev -layout de -verbose

Did you try to configure keyboard and layout within your DE?


I do not have that command, which ebuild installs it?

keenblade wrote:

Code:

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Keyboard0"
   Driver      "evdev"
   Option "Device" "/dev/input/event4"
   Option      "CoreKeyboard"
   Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
   Option "XkbModel" "evdev"
   Option "XkbLayout" "de"
EndSection



This is exactly, what the keyboard section in my xorg.conf looks like. It seems that all I need is the new equivalent to

Code:

  Option "XkbModel" "pc105"


(this line does not work).

BTW: I use gnome, maybe gnome overrides some settings? How can I find out whether it's gnome or X that gets the wrong settings?

//Genetic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
keenblade
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Posts: 1087

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genetic wrote:

Code:

setxkbmap -model evdev -layout de -verbose

I do not have that command, which ebuild installs it?

x11-apps/setxkbmap is the package. It is from xorg.
I use kde, but I think you can safely use it for your gnome, since it is not a kde program.
If it does not work try what LqR suggests about 10-keymap.fdi file.
_________________
Anyway it's all the same at the end...
Need help to get it working: "x-fi surround 5.1"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Genetic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 111

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
> setxkbmap -model evdev -layout de -verbose

Warning! Multiple definitions of keyboard model
         Using command line, ignoring X server
Warning! Multiple definitions of keyboard layout
         Using command line, ignoring X server
Trying to build keymap using the following components:
keycodes:   evdev+aliases(qwertz)
types:      complete
compat:     complete
symbols:    pc+de+inet(evdev)+level3(ralt_switch_for_alts_toggle)+group(alts_toggle)
geometry:   pc(pc104)


This is almost correct, but there still are some errors: The up-arrow button takes a screenshot (I do not know how this button is called in English, but it is a special button whose only purpose is to take a screenshot) and f2-f12 print the letters (Q, R, S, s, S, s, ...).

This is my /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi:

Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.keymap">
      <append key="info.callouts.add" type="strlist">hal-setup-keymap</append>
    </match>

    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.keys">
      <merge key="input.xkb.rules" type="string">base</merge>

      <!-- If we're using Linux, we use evdev by default (falling back to
           keyboard otherwise). -->
      <merge key="input.xkb.model" type="string">keyboard</merge>
      <match key="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer:system.kernel.name"
             string="Linux">
        <merge key="input.xkb.model" type="string">evdev</merge>
      </match>

      <merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">us</merge>
      <merge key="input.xkb.variant" type="string" />
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
keenblade
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Posts: 1087

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genetic wrote:
... This is my /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi:

Code:


     <merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">us</merge>


I think you have to change this line for your locale (de):
Code:

     <merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">de</merge>

_________________
Anyway it's all the same at the end...
Need help to get it working: "x-fi surround 5.1"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
keenblade
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Posts: 1087

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the proper way to do it is using your own fdi file. The procedure goes like this (taken from here)
Code:

cp /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi /etc/hal/fdi/policy/
emacs /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-keymap.fdi

and within emacs or an other editor, change the input.xkb.layout to your favourite layout (de). Restart HAL (your edited copy will take precedence on the default one)
Code:

rm /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi

and restart HAL: this will disable keyboard handling by evdev (until the next HAL update).
_________________
Anyway it's all the same at the end...
Need help to get it working: "x-fi surround 5.1"


Last edited by keenblade on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:28 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slim.one
n00b
n00b


Joined: 18 Oct 2006
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quake3-mouseinput is fucked up with evdev. according to ttimo this is dga-related, so there is no other solution except from switching back to mouse/kbd drivers (which sucks... for the first time all my keyboard-buttons worked)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
keenblade
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Posts: 1087

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slim.one wrote:
quake3-mouseinput is fucked up with evdev. according to ttimo this is dga-related, so there is no other solution except from switching back to mouse/kbd drivers (which sucks... for the first time all my keyboard-buttons worked)

I don't think kbd driver works right or better than evdev driver at the moment unless you downgrade hal, kbd or evdev driver.
_________________
Anyway it's all the same at the end...
Need help to get it working: "x-fi surround 5.1"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Genetic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 111

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi keenblade,

still the same problem: some keys are just wrong and I do not know how to pursuade evdev to use the pc105 keyboard type :(

//Genetic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Genetic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 111

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just "solved" the problem: removing the evdev flag from the INPUT_DEVICES list made evdev superfluous; obviously evdev is not needed by any input device I'm using.

Nevertheless: Thanks for your patience and help, keenblade!

//Genetic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
keenblade
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Posts: 1087

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genetic wrote:
I just "solved" the problem: removing the evdev flag from the INPUT_DEVICES list made evdev superfluous; obviously evdev is not needed by any input device I'm using.

Nevertheless: Thanks for your patience and help, keenblade!

//Genetic

Glad to hear that you get your keyboard again. Also thanks for your help, too.
_________________
Anyway it's all the same at the end...
Need help to get it working: "x-fi surround 5.1"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slim.one
n00b
n00b


Joined: 18 Oct 2006
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keenblade wrote:
slim.one wrote:
quake3-mouseinput is fucked up with evdev. according to ttimo this is dga-related, so there is no other solution except from switching back to mouse/kbd drivers (which sucks... for the first time all my keyboard-buttons worked)

I don't think kbd driver works right or better than evdev driver at the moment unless you downgrade hal, kbd or evdev driver.

you may think so, no problem :)
the problem isn't the keyboard but the mouse. it's unusable. the view goes all the way down, which results in you being able only to look to the bottom (not many enemies there)
only solution for me is to unmerge evdev, since i can't force X to use the mousedriver instead of evdev. hal 0.5.10 states no problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
keenblade
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Posts: 1087

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slim.one wrote:

... you may think so, no problem :)
the problem isn't the keyboard but the mouse. it's unusable. the view goes all the way down, which results in you being able only to look to the bottom (not many enemies there) ...

If you say so, then it is so; since you are experiencing that. I don't have quake-3 at the moment to try. I was just referring that both evdev and kbd drivers have the keyboard layout problem. Because you said that for the first time all your keyboard-buttons worked.
Is your mouse working fine outside quake-3?
_________________
Anyway it's all the same at the end...
Need help to get it working: "x-fi surround 5.1"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
trashman
n00b
n00b


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 22
Location: Cleveland, OH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I had to do to resolve this problem was go to K-Menu > Control Center > Regional & Accessibility > Keyboard Layout. Then, change Keyboard model to Evdev-managed keyboard. After that, my keyboard was immediately restored, without any modification of xorg.conf or x/kde restart.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ffyring
n00b
n00b


Joined: 16 Aug 2005
Posts: 63
Location: Stockholm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trashman wrote:
All I had to do to resolve this problem was go to K-Menu > Control Center > Regional & Accessibility > Keyboard Layout. Then, change Keyboard model to Evdev-managed keyboard. After that, my keyboard was immediately restored, without any modification of xorg.conf or x/kde restart.


Thanks Trashman! I was going crazy with my keyboard and have tried all permutations of the tips in the thread. After changing to evdev-managed keyboard everything works!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VValdo
Guru
Guru


Joined: 08 Jan 2005
Posts: 395

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW-- I don't have a mouse when X11/Gnome starts up.

I unplug/replug and suddenly the arrow moves... haven't yet restarted to see if this is reproducible but definitely was the case the 1st time..

W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum