Calculating the time of dusk
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fitzsimmons
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Calculating the time of dusk Reply with quote

I've just recently aquired a new X10 firecracker kit, which allows me to control parts of my house wired to the system from a universal remote, and my computer, among other things. (Linux works with my coffee machine now :lol: ) I've got bottlerocket (linux commandline program to control firecracker) up and running on my P90 debian server, and it controls things very well. The problem I have, is that I do not know the formula to calculate dusk. I know it is based on the date, and my coordinates (in longitude and latitude), but aside from that i'm stumped. How can I calculate dusk?

I've got the linux side down, (cron and at) but I need a script to just pump the formula into a command that can be used.

Thanks for any help.

Also: I have found a mathematical document that may be of some use. I could probably get a formula out of it that would suit my purposes, but i'd rather not have to read the whole thing, and I am hoping there is a simpler way. Anyway, Here it is (pdf) or Google's html cache, not so great, cuz formatting is a little messed up
tredman2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: Calculating Dusk Reply with quote

From a purely hacker poing of view, you might check the source code for the program XTide. Among the many other things it does, it also reports on sunrise and sunset times. You may be able to find what you're looking for there.

You can find it at The Flaterco Web Site.

Tim
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: