Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Motivations for posting on forums.gentoo.org
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Why do you spend your time helping gentooers out?
Public recognition of skillz
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
I get a kick out of helping my fellow Gentooer
12%
 12%  [ 9 ]
It's just a good WebBoard
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
I'm just a good citizen damnit
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
I give as I take - feels damn fine
25%
 25%  [ 18 ]
All of the above
44%
 44%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 70

sisyphus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Motivations for posting on forums.gentoo.org Reply with quote

It's been a while since I took too much interest in forums.gentoo.org. There are several reasons for me dropping off. Chief among these is that I changed jobs to one where I was spending much less time tinkering with my home boxes or building and managing boxes at work and much more time commuting and project managing (otherwise known as "techie brain death").

Either way. I spent a lot of my free time at work last week rebuilding my Ultra5 from Solaris 8 to Gentoo (Slowaris pissed me off one time too many damnit) and suddenly found myself having to learn about what I was doing. I spent some time searching the forums archives to answer a couple of questions (for once, it didn't actually help - my only problem was figuring out what ATA controller the Ultra5 has for my kernel config) and thought, since I was taking, it would be nice to get back in and give something back. Which got me thinking. Really, what is my motivation for posting on Gentoo. Most of the time, I'm answering (or trying to help more often) the questions of fellow Gentooers (hope that's the collective noun). Why do I do this.

Well, there are lots of potential answers (see poll) but I think that what my (and I think most people here - given the atmosphere) motivation boils down to is that helping other people through their problems is actually a very helpful component of the learning process. As I learn new stuff, it's useful to be able to relate what I've learned to others since it help to crystalise new and established knowledge in my mind. Also, it's nice to know that not only can I keep my boxes going but I can help other people out in the same endeavour by employing that knowledge. Also, when I'm spending a lot of time here researching my own problems, it only seems right to contribute back.

So. What's your motivation. Be honest - your vote is anonymous so don't worry - Vote and post, forums.gentoo.org is pretty much unique in the world of *nix message boards in having a genuinely newby friendly atmosphere combined with a high level of technical competence among a peoportion of it's regulars. I'd like to know what the motivations are that go to create that.

Just to kick things off though. I'm answering, "All of the above".

Cheers.
reves
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally started posting here to get help with some problem I had installing Gentoo. I haven't run into many problems since my first install that I haven't been able to solve by searching the forums or Google or reading the documentation so I mostly post now because I like helping people out.

Last edited by reves on Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Colibri
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home sweet home... Don't we all feel great in here? I personally do...
sisyphus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'strue.

we're well on our way to building one of the best archives of linux HOWTOs and general fix information on the web. It's good to be along for the ride.

<edit>And I just made apprentice ;) </edit>
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number of times I've seen a post, thought, "hmm, that's weird, glad my machine doesn't do that", then I replicate the conditions and my machine dies accordingly (Well, it doesn't usuall die). So, I have a fiddle and see if I can fix it or at least find the answer. I help others and myself at the same time and I know people appreciate it as they tell me so. :-D

Plus Off The Wall is a quality forum. 8)

Puggy
Brown Eyed Boy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I help people out in the hope that someone else will help me out when I get stuck (which is quite frequent). And I know how frustrating it is when you're sat there with something broke and no idea how to fix it, so I'm always willing to help out if I can.

Sometimes I've run into problems and remember seeing someting about the problem somewhere previously in the forums. And browsing discussions on some topics helps to build a better general knowledge and understanding of how things work.

~Brown Eyed Boy
sisyphus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh. Three nightowl Brits in a row (it's ~1AM here). What's going on? Are you two sat drinking Whisky tonic and emerging gnu-cash as well?

<edit>and watching Glasto on BBC3\wishing you were there (chemikazis notwithsanding) at the same time.</edit>

:D
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sisyphus wrote:
Ooh. Three nightowl Brits in a row (it's ~1AM here). What's going on? Are you two sat drinking Whisky tonic and emerging gnu-cash as well?

<edit>and watching Glasto on BBC3\wishing you were there (chemikazis notwithsanding) at the same time.</edit>

:D

I'm emerging the latest phpbb and drinking strongbow and wishing I was at Glastonbury with some of my mates. God damn Glastonbury and their ludicrously fast selling tickets. I don't have TV in my room, but I'm listening to REM on CD if that's any consellation.

Puggy
sisyphus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually. My brother is staying over tonight and he's just told me to bugger off to bed and turn the telly off so he can sleep (he's staying in the front room).

Ah well :wink:

Good luck with phpBB. Think I'll just kick off a compilation of thttpd on the EVIL SPARCSTATION5 (as I lovingly call my Slowaris box) and hit the sack.

Goodnight
S_aIN_t
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i try to help when i can, while fixing my own problems.. :) it is a great community. i like being a part of it.
absence of grace."
- William Gibson, "All Tomorrow's Parties"
----
http://petro.tanreisoftware.com
Brown Eyed Boy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sisyphus wrote:

Nah, I drank enough last night :evil: And if there's one thing I've learnt from previous experience it's that I should stay away from email, webforums, newsgroups, etc. when under the influence of alcohol. I've posted some highly embarrasing things before (fortunately not here) :oops:
sisyphus wrote:

I've got it on Beeb 2. While I like the music, I can't stand sleeping in a tent, not having a shower and having to use those awful toilets they have at music festivals. If I ever went to one, it'd be in a huge luxury campervan thing :-D

~Brown Eyed Boy
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown Eyed Boy wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

Nah, I drank enough last night :evil: And if there's one thing I've learnt from previous experience it's that I should stay away from email, webforums, newsgroups, etc. when under the influence of alcohol. I've posted some highly embarrasing things before (fortunately not here) :oops:
sisyphus wrote:

I've got it on Beeb 2. While I like the music, I can't stand sleeping in a tent, not having a shower and having to use those awful toilets they have at music festivals. If I ever went to one, it'd be in a huge luxury campervan thing :-D

~Brown Eyed Boy

Fortunatley I live in Reading this year (I have gone to other festivals the last 2 years I've been here) so a taxi home each night a good nights sleep and shower in the morning, some proper food then back to the festival. Genius! :-D
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined to ask for help, now I'm an addict... the rest is a little blury.
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puggy wrote:
Fortunatley I live in Reading this year (I have gone to other festivals the last 2 years I've been here) so a taxi home each night a good nights sleep and shower in the morning, some proper food then back to the festival. Genius! :-D

you say genius aswell! Did someone on TV start saying it? because everyone says it now...
Do you say 'quality' aswell? :lol:
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
puggy wrote:

you say genius aswell! Did someone on TV start saying it? because everyone says it now...
Do you say 'quality' aswell? :lol:

I've never really said "qaulity", except I sometimes say it in a Faramir way for amusements sake...

I've been saying "Genius" since about 4th year at school. Which was a staggerring 6 years ago now. So, if they're saying it on TV... I was cool way before my time. :-D
Brown Eyed Boy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puggy wrote:

I spent a year living in Reading when I did an industrial placement year between the 3rd and 4th years of my degree. I would have gone to the Reading festival, but I remember the year I was down there the headlining bands were all ones I wasn't particularly keen on. Bit of a shame really.

~Brown Eyed Boy
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown Eyed Boy wrote:
puggy wrote:

I spent a year living in Reading when I did an industrial placement year between the 3rd and 4th years of my degree. I would have gone to the Reading festival, but I remember the year I was down there the headlining bands were all ones I wasn't particularly keen on. Bit of a shame really.

~Brown Eyed Boy

What year was that?
Brown Eyed Boy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puggy wrote:
What year was that?

I was there June 2000 to June 2001, so it would have been the 2000 Reading festival. I've just done a quick search for the headline bands. Oasis are my favourite band, so there must have been a reason (which I can't remember) why I didn't go just on the day they played.

The list I found had Oasis, Shed Seven, Soulwax, Pulp, Beck, Super Furry Animals, Queens of the Stone Age, Placebo, Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, Ian Brown, the Foo Fighters, and the Stereophonics. I can't say I'm particularly fond of any of those. Stereophonics first two albums were good, but I can't stand Kelly Jones. Placebo are ok, but not enough to make me want to go to a festival.

In fact, I find indie music these days is just not as good as it was in the mid 90's when it was absolutely storming. The exceptions are Oasis, Blur and Radiohead. Most other bands seem to have either died a death or gone into obscurity and I'm not keen on more recent bands such as Coldplay.

~Brown Eyed Boy
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude. That was the best year! I was at Leeds! Rage Against The Machine, Queen's Of The Stone Age, Deftones, Foo Fighters, Muse, Elastica, Idlewild, Beck. I've seen all those bands on other occasions except RATM, but they were amazing. I'm so pleased I saw them before they split. Now I'm on a quest to see Audioslave but I've not managed it so far.
Brown Eyed Boy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puggy wrote:
Dude. That was the best year! I was at Leeds! Rage Against The Machine, Queen's Of The Stone Age, Deftones, Foo Fighters, Muse, Elastica, Idlewild, Beck. I've seen all those bands on other occasions except RATM, but they were amazing. I'm so pleased I saw them before they split. Now I'm on a quest to see Audioslave but I've not managed it so far.

Heh, they're all a bit too heavy for me :? I much prefer the lighter sound of Oasis, Blur, Radiohead, Sleeper, Garbage, REM, Ocean Colour Scene, Stone Roses, Ash, Bluetones, Kula Shaker, etc.

The early-mid 90's were a sort of golden age for music like that, but most of those bands seem to have disappeared or are now writing rubbish. And I guess my music tastes have changed since then - I still listen to all my old CD's and I still buy new Oasis CD's as soon as they come out, but I've grown to really love a lot of dance music (note that I don't mean that cheesy rubbish you get in the charts).

~Brown Eyed Boy
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown Eyed Boy wrote:
puggy wrote:

Heh, they're all a bit too heavy for me :? I much prefer the lighter sound of Oasis, Blur, Radiohead, Sleeper, Garbage, REM, Ocean Colour Scene, Stone Roses, Ash, Bluetones, Kula Shaker, etc.

The early-mid 90's were a sort of golden age for music like that, but most of those bands seem to have disappeared or are now writing rubbish. And I guess my music tastes have changed since then - I still listen to all my old CD's and I still buy new Oasis CD's as soon as they come out, but I've grown to really love a lot of dance music (note that I don't mean that cheesy rubbish you get in the charts).

~Brown Eyed Boy

Not really into dance music by I am into a lot of experimental stuff like coldcut and DJ Food. Checkout solidsteel and www.ninjatune.net
Brown Eyed Boy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puggy wrote:
Not really into dance music by I am into a lot of experimental stuff like coldcut and DJ Food. Checkout solidsteel and www.ninjatune.net

Just had a look around; I notice that that label was profiled on the Radio1 website a while back too.

I actually like quite a range of dance music styles: trance, house, deep soulful house, techno (albeit the more tuneful side of techno), some drum & bass, leftfield/downtempo, etc. I just can't stand that rubbish you get in the charts; makes me cringe whenever I hear it.

The records I play on my decks (as a hobby, not professionally) are mostly trance with some vocal house and techno.

Time for bed now I think.

~Brown Eyed Boy
sisyphus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I went to bed at the wrong time. Looks like I'm distinctly less hardcore than the average Brit around here (still, here I am posting at 09:00 and I bet you're all still in bed :))

Sad to say but the last fest. I actually pulled my finger out and went to was the Leeds festival in 97 or something (back when it was the Heinekin festival). The Pogues headlined (Shane McGowen was pissed out of his skull for a change) and much fun was had. Handily, being a denizen of Leeds at the time, I was able to do the taxi home thing.

I seriously sympathise witht the hatred of tents.
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sisyphus wrote:
Wow. I went to bed at the wrong time. Looks like I'm distinctly less hardcore than the average Brit around here (still, here I am posting at 09:00 and I bet you're all still in bed :))

Sad to say but the last fest. I actually pulled my finger out and went to was the Leeds festival in 97 or something (back when it was the Heinekin festival). The Pogues headlined (Shane McGowen was pissed out of his skull for a change) and much fun was had. Handily, being a denizen of Leeds at the time, I was able to do the taxi home thing.

I seriously sympathise witht the hatred of tents.

I made it up at last, but I didn't make it to bed until 7 as I was trying to make space in my room for my gf to store all her stuff as her house contract runs out before her new one begins. :-D
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it outside boys, will ya... :) Not even remotely Gentoo-related any longer, therefore moving this thread away from Gentoo Chat (where it didn't belong in the first place, Forums Feedback would have been more appropriate).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: