Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
how to disable (sanitize) gpg2 GUI features (pinentry)?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renaming ccrypt-1.9.ebuild as ccrypt-1.10.ebuild seems to be all that is required to make it compile and work in my private portage.
olek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is still of interest: I just stumbled upon the possibility to emerge app-crypt/pinentry-qt and e.g. choose it with eselect (pinentry-qt, not "...-qt4"!), which is capable of copy&paste.
eruvaer_ohta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

olek wrote:
If this is still of interest: I just stumbled upon the possibility to emerge app-crypt/pinentry-qt and e.g. choose it with eselect (pinentry-qt, not "...-qt4"!), which is capable of copy&paste.

Thanks a lot for this information! This stupid design of not allowing copy/paste in the standard gtk/qt4 implementation of pinentry has just been giving me headaches. pinentry-qt works, the only downside is that it shows the entered password in cleartext, but the copy/paste functionality clearly outweighs that for me.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: how to disable (sanitize) gpg2 GUI features (pinentry)? Reply with quote

gw wrote:
How can I disable this new "feature", that is: simply enter the passphrase from within my terminal application, or how can I at least make pinentry accept copy and paste?

gw, et al ...

I got *so* fed up with pinentry screwing up the tty when editing with vim I decided to do something about it, and so I'm bumping this just to say getting the old behavior is infact possible.

/etc/portage/package.mask
Code:
>=app-crypt/gnupg-2.0.22

... it turns out gnupg-1 is still in portage, and still maintained ... so, voila!

Code:
# emerge -p app-crypt/gnupg
[ebuild   D    ] app-crypt/gnupg-1.4.16

... depclean pinentry (and deps) ...

Code:
# emerge --depclean -a

... sanity! ...

Code:
% vim ~/test.gpg
You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for user: "khayyam <user@domain.tld>"
4096-bit RSA key, ID FFFFFFFF, created xxxx-xx-xx (main key ID FFFFFFFFF)
Enter passphrase:

... unlike with pinentry keyboard navigation works (and please, no, this has nothing to do with GPG_TTY, or 'no-grab', etc).

Hopefully that helps someone ....

best ... khay
miroR
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: how to disable (sanitize) gpg2 GUI features (pinentry)? Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
gw wrote:
How can I disable this new "feature", that is: simply enter the passphrase from within my terminal application, or how can I at least make pinentry accept copy and paste?

gw, et al ...

I got *so* fed up with pinentry screwing up the tty when editing with vim I decided to do something about it, and so I'm bumping this just to say getting the old behavior is infact possible.

/etc/portage/package.mask
Code:
>=app-crypt/gnupg-2.0.22

... it turns out gnupg-1 is still in portage, and still maintained ... so, voila!

Code:
# emerge -p app-crypt/gnupg
[ebuild   D    ] app-crypt/gnupg-1.4.16

... depclean pinentry (and deps) ...

Code:
# emerge --depclean -a

... sanity! ...

Code:
% vim ~/test.gpg
You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for user: "khayyam <user@domain.tld>"
4096-bit RSA key, ID FFFFFFFF, created xxxx-xx-xx (main key ID FFFFFFFFF)
Enter passphrase:

... unlike with pinentry keyboard navigation works (and please, no, this has nothing to do with GPG_TTY, or 'no-grab', etc).

Hopefully that helps someone ....

best ... khay

khay, pls. accept my gratitude for your good programming.
Air-Gapped Gentoo Install, Tentative
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7551458.html#7551458
Miroslav Rovis
www.CroatiaFidelis.hr
Gentlenoob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

sorry for resurrecting that old thread... me too still on gpg1 because of that pinentry-nuisance. Now gnome-base/gvfs-1.26.3 seems to insist on pulling in gpg2. Any way to avoid that (least of masking)? Is there a simple way to make gpg 1 & 2 coexist?

Alternatively, any trick on getting back command line / stdin passphrase input ala gpg1 in gpg2 as well?

Thanks a lot!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: