Xfce or KDE?? Any input?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mroconnor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Xfce or KDE?? Any input? Reply with quote

I have been using KDE for a long time and gotten used to all those little KDE apps that make life easier(?) like kmail/kontact/kgpg, Amarok(I love it), smb4k, etc etc. So basically no complaints about KDE, but I was thinking about moving to something lighter like Xfce or Fluxbox(I think Xfce).

My multipart question is:
- SHould I stick w/ KDE knowing it works for me and KDE4 will be brilliant?
- Do I switch to Xfce and can I run my fav KDE apps in it? (I could switch to Thunderbird and give up kmail, but I wont give up Digikam or amarok! )
- Do I quit using a WM/ Desktop Env and go super hardcore!

Thanks for any input, especially on the XFce front.

Cheers.
Ehnvis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats like asking do I lik icecream or do I like icecream. It's only yourself that can decide which one you like better, emerge em and try em out. You can still run your kde apps if you like nothing stops you there.
mroconnor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed. I see your point. I was just hoping that there might be some people out there that have been in the same spot and have some good/bad input about switching not switching.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Xfce or KDE?? Any input? Reply with quote

progresso wrote:
I have been using KDE for a long time and gotten used to all those little KDE apps that make life easier(?) like kmail/kontact/kgpg, Amarok(I love it), smb4k, etc etc. So basically no complaints about KDE, but I was thinking about moving to something lighter like Xfce or Fluxbox(I think Xfce).

This is one of the wrong assumptions that people make. XFCE is not "that" light at all. It is a gtk2 based full blown desktop.

Now, the thing is that you don't need to choose. You can install kde and xfce and try both desktops, and even mix apps from both without any problem. Fluxbox can also be installed alongside, it is a window manager, not a whole desktop. You can try all this stuff and then choose whatever suits you.

You can use any kde app under flux or xfce, if that is what worries you.

The rest of your questions can't be answered by anyone but you.
mroconnor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just finished emerging xfce and I must saythat on my laptop it takes up more more memory(as in RAM used) then KDE 3.5.8. BUT it seems faster then KDE inmaking changes. I think I may try Fluxbox now and see if that tickles my fancy.

But overall, Xfce is kind of nice.

Thanks for the input.
widremann
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And light only really matters for when you first start up the desktop. After that, it doesn't really matter. You will have more wait time from individual programs starting up and also when they require lots of CPU or IO. That is not affected by the desktop environment.

If you have limited RAM, then using something like XFCE, or just a plain WM is actually a reasonable choice. But since you've been using KDE for a while now, it sounds like you're probably fine in the RAM department.
mroconnor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fine in the RAm dept 1GB and a nice Core2Duo.

Ok...after a reboot Xfce takes up about 50MB less RAM then when I first emerged it....interesting.

Wow.....How long does it take to configure Fluxbox or am I just being lazy?! lol
NeoWolf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really like your KDE apps you might just want to stay in KDE honestly. Xfce is substantially lighter than GNOME and KDE. (Though as noted, still heavier than just a WM as it IS a full desktop environment.) However loading up your favorite KDE apps also means loading up the KDE libraries and when all's said and done your memory usage might even be higher than running KDE straight up!
PNY VERTO GeForce 8500GT 512MB
Western Digital 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
LG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner
SCEPTRE X23WG-1080P
mroconnor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to keep an eye on that. Xfce seems light on start up but load opera, have a few tabs in Xfce's Terminal app and the memory usage jumps.
I am emerging digiKam and amarok right now and I'll see how Xfce holds up compared to having just a pure KDE environment.

Right now aside from aside from some configuration differences, I can't say too much bad about Xfce, but I am not sold on switching yet.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Desktop Environments to Duplicate Threads, see Common Threads
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: