[HOWTO] nvidia tv-out script : mplayot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D-brane
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: [HOWTO] nvidia tv-out script : mplayot Reply with quote

There are a lot of ways to play movies on your television, through your tv-out output on a nvidia card. My way is a simple, but complete, script which does some useful things besides starting the movie.

First you need to check whether you installed all useful packages.
Code:

# emerge -uav mplayer nvtv smixer audacious

The first is a movie player. The second a daemon that makes it possible to use your tv-out without restarting X. The last two are optional.

I compiled xorg-server with VIDEO_CARDS="nv". The proprietary nvidia driver also works a bit, but is instable on my system and gives me headaches.

Put the below script, named mplayot, somewhere in your PATH. The commands should be self-explanatory or read the man page like "man smixer".

Code:

#!/bin/sh
# mplayer-on-tv (mplayot) v0.3.5 - by Marco van Hulten
# You may modify and distribute the code, according to GPLv3 and higher versions
#
# Script for viewing movies with mplayer, through a nvidia card, on the telly
#
# NEEDED:
# - xorg started with preferably the nv driver
# - nvtvd started
# - nvtv in path
# - mplayer in path
#
# USED WHEN FOUND:
# - audtool
# - smixer
# - dcop
# - xscreensaver
# - xcompmgr

echo mplayer-on-tv v0.3.4

PLAYED=NO
if [ -e `which audacious` ]; then
  if [ `audtool --playback-status` = "playing" ]; then
      audacious -t
      sleep .5
      PLAYED=YES
  fi
fi

nvtv -r 800,600 -s Large -t -C CONVERT &&\

KSCRSAV=NO
if ! [ `ps -C dcop | wc -l` = 1 ]; then
        dcop kdesktop KScreensaverIface enable false > /dev/null &
        KSCRSAV=YES
fi

XSCRSAV=NO
if ! [ `ps -C xscreensaver | wc -l` = 1 ]; then
        killall xscreensaver
        XSCRSAV=YES
fi

XCOMP=NO
if ! [ `ps -C xcompmgr | wc -l` = 1 ]; then
        killall xcompmgr
        XCOMP=YES
fi

# Note: old versions of smixer use the -s option for stdin
if [ -e /usr/bin/smixer ]; then
        echo vol Vol + | smixer
        echo vol Vol + | smixer
fi

mplayer -fs -osdlevel 1 -font /usr/share/mplayer/fonts/font-arial-28-iso-8859-1/font.desc -vo xv -spuaa 4 -screenw 800 -screenh 600 -ao alsa "$@" &&\

if [ $PLAYED = "YES" ]; then
        audacious -t
fi

if [ -e /usr/bin/smixer ]; then
        echo vol Vol - | smixer
        echo vol Vol - | smixer
fi

nvtv -m

if [ $XCOMP = "YES" ]; then
        xcompmgr -cCfF -r7 -o.65 -l -10 -t -8 -D7
fi

if [ $KSCRSAV = "YES" ]; then
        dcop kdesktop KScreensaverIface enable true > /dev/null
fi

if [ $XSCRSAV = "YES" ]; then
        xscreensaver &
fi

Of course, you should change it for your needs, but it should work out-of-the-box. Besides on my Gentoo instable (and previously Gentoo stable) box, it works fine on Debian (I believe it was a Debian 3.1 stable computer) and Ubuntu 7.x or so.

A few explanatory notes:
  • The sleep .5 can be useful when you use a fade-out in audacious and don't want an increase in volume during the current song.
  • nvtv gives me a magenta stripe at the left of my TV. You can fix it by shifting the picture via the GUI of nvtv (nvtv -g), but when I do this, the picture gets wiggly, possibly because I go outside the PAL standard. Therefore I learned to live with the stripe (and because nvtv has no command line option for it). Does anyone have a solution for this problem?
  • xcompmgr is possibly deprecated by now. I used this part of the script, because mplayer had problems with this composite manager.
  • vol Vol + | smixer increases the master volume by 5%. I increase the volume by 10%, trying to fix the fact that most of the times one has to increase the volume of a video.
  • By means of shell variables program states are (as good as) restored after playing the video.

This was originally posted a while ago on http://www.uithofnet.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?p=25311&highlight=mplayot#25311.
If anyone whishes to look at old versions or would like a translation of this or whatever, let me know.

edit: I found a way to remove the magenta stripe. I patched the code according to http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-bugs/2006/07/18/0010.html and then added --set TVPositionX:-3,0 to the first nvtv line in mplayot.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: