Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Should the Gentoo secret lists be world-readable?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the secret lists be world-readable?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 134 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 67 ]
Total Votes : 201

nerdbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BradB wrote:
Can anyone give examples of other OSS projects that have closed (non-world readable) mailing lists?
If there are other projects that have justifiable reasons, then Gentoo might do as well.
The community that has sprung up around Gentoo is awesome, the bet Linux related community I have had the pleasure of being part of, but this whole "secret cabel" thing frustrates me. It has made me realise that the gentoo devs aren't really a part of the forum community, very rarely do I ever see the red "dev" next to a name posting. The whole management structure needs to be brought out into the open - and it is good to see that it may be happening.

Personally - I think there should be no secret lists, if it is truely open, then it doesn't matter who sees it.

Brad

Have you ever looked at linux-dev? It's open, but who can cope with about ~150 mails a day (my pop account does - but I'm really afraid of taking a vacation)?
BradB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
~150 mails a day

A daily digest is a possibilty. The point is that linux-dev is an open list. People who are interested obviously don't mind the volume.
Having "no-go" areas feels against the spirit of OSS to me.

Brad
cdunham
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but I'm really afraid of taking a vacation

nerdbert, may I suggest that you need more Zen in your life? :wink:

Control is an illusion. If you miss a week of emails, that won't be the one week they decide to slip the "screw nerdbert" module into the kernel...

Be one with the source... there is no spoon....

:arrow:
ThreeFarthingStone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Voted to Keep Private Lists Private Reply with quote

I remember when in another thread I actually defended SCO's ability to withold information (not disclose how they think IBM stole their code). I shouldn't give the Enemy (well, they do want to make my computer illegal) that privelege and not Gentoo.

GNU GPL, free software, open source, etc., do not mean that the development of the software is open. Thus there can be closed development, which involves a closed form of communication (such as gentoo-core or gentoo-biz mailing lists). Closed communication is needed to protect, defend a project so that the owners can choose which direction they want to go.

Imagine if someone suggested on gentoo-core, "Let us stop supporting Linux, install portage on SCO UnixWare, and support SCO only." The core people do not have to do this. (Of course this example is much more drastic then what happens in reality. Think of, say, a proposal to require SQL for portage.) Of course, if the developers want to open gentoo-core or release archives late, they can do so.
BradB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with having non-readable lists is that you create a barrier to entry. People can't just lurk for a while, and then start contributing. They need to get the attention of the developers by doing something special (something that may already be worked on in the core group), then get invited to the group, then learn about how things work.
Look at the Xfree core group & how that boiled over.
Again, although you don't have to be open, when using GPL code, openness is the spirit of GPL.

Brad
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks --

Thanks for the healthy discussion. I appreciate those who are on the "outside" and want to know what's on the "inside". There will always be a need for private communications. If we make -core public, private communications will still occur, either via email or in IRC channels.

There are a number of reasons for this, most of which have been discussed before, but I'll cover a couple key ones here:
  • The need to be able to propose outlandish ideas without fear of setting off a riot. The developers need to have the ability to suggest new, crazy, wild, farfetched ideas without setting off a riot in the forums, the -user list and IRC. If we set off riots all the time, we have to spend out time calming users down, abating their fears and generally spending all sorts of time on things other than developing Gentoo
  • Developers are people, too. And we need a place to vent amongst our peers. Believe it or not, there are times when developers need to rant about a particular user or particular situation. This is just part of being human. -core provides that outlet, allows devs to release some steam and get feedback from their peers without unduly embarrassing or causing friction from/to our user community.
--kurt
nadamsieee
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
If we make -core public, private communications will still occur, either via email or in IRC channels.

Precisely. So there is no need to make -core private. Use those two channels for your venting, ranting, and wild idea fielding. Making the main developer mailing list private just reaks of elitism, even if that truely isn't the case. And the barrier to entry argument should be reason enough to make the list world readable. I have a background in engineering and some free time that I would love to offer to Gentoo. Why make that more difficult for me and other like me?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nadamsieee wrote:
Precisely. So there is no need to make -core private. Use those two channels for your venting, ranting, and wild idea fielding.

No, both of those channels are far less efficient. That's why mailing lists were invented in the first place.

nadamsieee wrote:
Making the main developer mailing list private just reaks of elitism, even if that truely isn't the case.

Who ever said -core was the main developer mailing list? It isn't. -dev is. We've been working very hard to keep all developer discussions on -dev and, over the past few weeks and months, have succeeded at doing that.

--kurt
BradB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps make the -core list possible to sign up to, but not an automated process. Make it sufficiently hard that a passerby who has nothing to offer won't spam the list, but easy enough that a genuinely interested party can at least read it.
As for riots, well that's a good point - but maybe a riot or two is good. What happens to good ideas that die in the -core list? Nothing - they die. But maybe a good idea that causes a riot in the forums would get looked at a little harder, or maybe picked up by the community. Riots would eventually calm themselves down, anything especially bad could be posted to the GWN or frontpage. No riot could be worse than the April Fools RPM joke, and that was like 1 thread (I don't know the IRC reaction).

I realise that the -core membership will still email/private message one another, big deal that happens everywhere - people make these private mailings precisely because they don't want to post to a list.
I don't like being on the "outside" and not being able to see what is going on "inside".

Brad

Edit - just read klieber's post.

Are you saying that nothing important gets discussed in -core? Just look at the riot that even having a secret list has caused. The amount of ill feeling that this must be causing is surely more than anything that could be actually discussed in that list.
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nadamsieee wrote:
klieber wrote:
If we make -core public, private communications will still occur, either via email or in IRC channels.

Precisely. So there is no need to make -core private. Use those two channels for your venting, ranting, and wild idea fielding. Making the main developer mailing list private just reaks of elitism, even if that truely isn't the case. And the barrier to entry argument should be reason enough to make the list world readable. I have a background in engineering and some free time that I would love to offer to Gentoo. Why make that more difficult for me and other like me?

But then people will start moaning that they aren't allowed in a certain IRC channel because its been set +k.

There is nothing making it difficult for you to contribute to Gentoo, everything you could ever need as a developer is posted to the -dev list.

This discussion reminds me of girls...:lol: They want what they can't have, but once the opertunity comes around for them to have it, they no longer show any interest.

To the core devs: Open up -core, stop posting there and create a new mailinglist for your private stuff and don't tell anyone about it. :wink:
sanity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:35 am    Post subject: Secrecy vs. productivity is not an issue! Reply with quote

Users should hear about these things -- ESPECIALLY the ones concerning security. Users should be able to view the list, but not write to it, and it should be frowned upon to use Bugzilla or start a huge discussion about little things happening on the list.

Yes, you should be able to have a small discussion on a small list with a few ideas, but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't be able to see what happens. Think of it like a big murder trial -- the public should be allowed to see what goes on inside (via televising of the event), but they should really have minimal input on what happens inside. They can form a mob, but that's it -- justice will only be served by the judge and the jury.

The only other argument I've heard besides "I don't want my inbox to overflow" is "some things should be kept secret." In that case, why do I use Linux? Because IBM kept their Linux port to their mainframes secret, the Linux community wasted at least a year (I think) on Bigfoot. More importantly, the main criticism Windows security freaks have against Linux is that it is open, so it's easy to find security holes. Our response has always been that openness assures that so many people can look at them that there are very few security holes left, if any at all.

If this isn't enough, go read the Cathedral and the Bazaar.

The only idea I see so far that I like (besides a mostly read-only list) is having some things time-sealed for, say, 30 days. But this, too, has a problem. Suppose you discovered a serious security hole specific to Gentoo, and hacked on it for 30 days in your own little cathedral for fear of letting the public know. Meanwhile, John Q. Cracker has found it also and is killing systems left and right. And maybe I just noticed your problem awhile ago, thought it was my fault, and fixed it in 2 seconds. (Ok, not me, someone much more skilled.)

The developers should be free of random users wandering in to their development sessions, asking n00b questions, killing ideas that haven't even been thought out yet. But they should also let the public see what they're doing. I'd hate to find out, for example, that you were planning to drop all openGL from Gentoo (not likely, but I can't think of a better example) in a week, and not tell us about it until then, so if I decided I didn't like it, or maybe I could maintain GL all by myself. Either way, most users probably won't jump in on every little detail (or they'll get blacklisted from people's personal email accounts), but we're talking about taking the ability from us because it might be better for us -- or actually, because it might be better for the Gentoo developers.

Finally, if Gentoo continues to be quality, free software, I don't care much what happens on -core, and if -core becomes private, I will continue to use Gentoo anyway. Hopefully, people who need to be on -core will, regardless of whether it's private or not. This is my "whatever works" policy. Quakeforge and CrystalSpace are good, even xbill is good, but the best games are proprietary. They are still the best games, though, and I still buy them.
nadamsieee
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
nadamsieee wrote:
Precisely. So there is no need to make -core private. Use those two channels for your venting, ranting, and wild idea fielding.

No, both of those channels are far less efficient. That's why mailing lists were invented in the first place.

• The question here is should the private lists be made public, not whether or not making the lists public will then make private communications less efficient. Besides, I think making private communications more difficult (in reguards to managing/developing an opensource project) is generally a good thing. :)
  • Mailing lists are a more efficient way of distributing text based communications. IRC (or even better would be face to face meetings) is a better way to get a point across. Each has its pro's and con's.

klieber wrote:
nadamsieee wrote:
Making the main developer mailing list private just reaks of elitism, even if that truely isn't the case.

Who ever said -core was the main developer mailing list? It isn't. -dev is. We've been working very hard to keep all developer discussions on -dev and, over the past few weeks and months, have succeeded at doing that.

Gentoo is a software project. If people aren't discussing the software itself on the -core list, they're discussing how to manage the project in some way (or maybe they're just off topic? ;)). Anyone who thinks that management decisions don't affect development is just plain wrong :!:
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott_ell wrote:
ebrostig wrote:
Nope, that is an elitist attitude that I would rather not see.

You have no background to rate what is necessary for you to see or not, nor is it in gentoo's best interest.

From what position of authority or knowledge could you ever make an assessment of my background? You don't know me or my capabilities. I'm sorry but if you are going to attribute an "elitist attitude" to someone please at least finish that same post before behaving in that manner yourself.

It is not an elitist attitude. I'm not on the list, nor do I have any interest in beeing on the list. But, I can't see why there is a problem with the developers having a private mailing list? It sounds more like envy than anything else. "They have soemthing I can't have" Now, that is an elitist thinking mixed with envy.

scott_ell wrote:
As for what is "necessary for [me] to see or not" I'd prefer to be the judge of that. Considering this is "Open Source", written by many different people, over many different years (i.e. not just Gentoo Developers), I would say it is precisely in "gentoo's best interest" for me (and everyone else) to know exactly what is going on.

Well, since you are not a Gentoo developer, I can't see why the list is of interest to you. If you feel that what is going on on the list, concerns you, then become a developer and get the access!

scott_ell wrote:
ebrostig wrote:
Give me one single reason why you need to see the core list, just one!

I'll give you a reason: because it exists. Because Gentoo is an Open Source OS and, for me, the important part about OSS is the 'Open' part. A lot of people are working very hard in this community and feel as if they have a stake in it. I believe no one here as the right to tell me (or anyone else) what I can see and cannot see.

If I am wrong about Gentoo, and the things I have mentioned are not important to Gentoo, the my apologies, I will go somewhere else.

Because it exist, is no reason.

Because Bill Gates is worth 50+ billion dollars is no reason for me to beg for the same amount of money.

Because Jennifer Lopez exists is no argument for her to become my girlfriend

I can continue on a list like that. Your last statement was not well founded, sorry. It sounded like alittle kid who was denied candy in the store by his mom and start crying: I want it, I want it, I want it... Grow up.

Erik
scott_ell
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
I can't see why there is a problem with the developers having a private mailing list? It sounds more like envy than anything else. "They have soemthing I can't have" Now, that is an elitist thinking mixed with envy.

Let me first say that I respect all the hard work that Gentoo developers put into things around here. I care. That is why I am taking the time to input a point of view that I feel might be helpful.

In many ways, Gentoo is "linux from scratch", except with a kick-ass dependency management system. I feel Gentoo's real value is it's community. Everyone who has installed Gentoo, helped in the Forums, or created Ebuilds is helping to create Gentoo. The distinction between user and developer in our community is dubious at best.

The problem that caused the fork, as I perceive it, is that some people were investing a lot of time and effort into Gentoo and felt that they were being excluded from profiting from it. To me, these mailing lists are symbolic of that exclusive state of mind.

Quote:
It sounded like alittle kid who was denied candy in the store by his mom and start crying: I want it, I want it, I want it... Grow up.

Yeah that's right. I want it. And if I can't get what I want here I'll go somewhere else, and if I can't get it anywhere else I'll build linux from scratch myself. That's the point of the GPL. Blame the shmucks who GPL'd there code for my ingratitude.

klieber wrote:

Yes that sounds much better. Also the mythical gentoo-biz mailling list as well please!

thanks,
Scott
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott_ell wrote:
klieber wrote:

Yes that sounds much better. Also the mythical gentoo-biz mailling list as well please!

That makes no sense -- if we open up -core for public reading and then still continue to have private conversations outside of it, you're OK with that?

This is amusing. Folks, there will always be some things in life that are private and you don't know about. Just like I respect your right to privacy, so should you respect the right that the development team has to privacy. Again, development issues are discussed on -dev. Development decisions are not made behind closed doors as some folks want to think. #gentoo-dev is open for anyone to read. -core is one place where the developers can kick off their boots and not worry about being scrutinized by the public. IMO, you do not have any right to ask for or expect to receive a full, unedited expose on the life of a Gentoo developer. You do have a right to read about things directly related to the development of Gentoo. That's what -dev and #gentoo-dev are for.
BradB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
That makes no sense -- if we open up -core for public reading and then still continue to have private conversations outside of it, you're OK with that?

Yes, as long as there is no list. Having no list means that if you want to rant or talk in private you need to explicity direct you mail to the people that you want to get it. If you're posting to a list it should be public.

klieber wrote:
Again, development issues are discussed on -dev

klieber wrote:
We've been working very hard to keep all developer discussions on -dev and, over the past few weeks and months, have succeeded at doing that.

Those two statements don't exactly jibe. It sounds like -core has been used to discuss development in the past.

Brad
scott_ell
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
Folks, there will always be some things in life that are private and you don't know about. Just like I respect your right to privacy, so should you respect the right that the development team has to privacy.

My problem here is that you believe there is an entity, a "core" of Gentoo that is private, exclusive, a "developer's only" club. I don't think that is fair to the rest of the community. Other people are investing time and money in Gentoo and I don't think it is right (or wise) to exclude them. That is why there are forks, and forks dilute the power of the community.

klieber wrote:
-core is one place where the developers can kick off their boots and not worry about being scrutinized by the public.

What exactly is core? That is not even understood. For example, from the first page I grabbed this:

seemant wrote:
Just to set the record straight. the -core mailing list is really for developers only and is used for the strictly developer related issues. Things like: package-X releases a new security fix release in x days -- can devs please test this before then. And so on. These issues are kept private because UPSTREAM wishes them to be private. If we go and spill beans that they're not ready to have spilled, who's on the wrong? And is it worth it to do that just so that people the world over feel that -core is not a cabal?

There is clearly a contradiction between what you say it is and what he does. I'm not trying to judge people, but as Gentoo grows, it might be best to get this out in the open now. I don't think there is anything devious or sinister going on here, it just seems like Gentoo is growing from a software project into a large, loose organization.

Open Source only works in a community, if people can't feel like they're involved or in the loop than they will go somewhere else (like Zynot).
nadamsieee
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:

This is amusing. Folks, there will always be some things in life that are private and you don't know about.

Private emails are fine, klieber, as long as the private stuff isn't the official policy of an opensource project.

klieber wrote:
Just like I respect your right to privacy, so should you respect the right that the development team has to privacy.

klieber later wrote:
-core is one place where the developers can kick off their boots and not worry about being scrutinized by the public. IMO, you do not have any right to ask for or expect to receive a full, unedited expose on the life of a Gentoo developer. You do have a right to read about things directly related to the development of Gentoo. That's what -dev and #gentoo-dev are for.

Nobody is asking for your home phone number, mailing address, or shoe size. I don't care what your favorite food is or which side of the bed you sleep on. What we are saying is that the right to privacy ends at the mailing list of an opensource project. One of the main benefits of opensource is trust that is garnered by full disclosure. If Gentoo were a private (non traded) for-profit organization it would be different. But the stated goal of Gentoo, Inc. is to become a non-profit. Just like a public for-profit like Redhat has a moral if not legal obligation to fully disclose its actions to its share-holders and potential investors, Gentoo needs to fully disclose its actions to the Gentoo community.

klieber wrote:
Again, development issues are discussed on -dev. Development decisions are not made behind closed doors as some folks want to think. #gentoo-dev is open for anyone to read.

As scott_ell pointed out, other members of -core have directly contradicted you on that statement. Further more, what are the criteria for being allowed to join -core? Are all developers members? How do you define a developer, i.e. would a bug tester count?

Last edited by nadamsieee on Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nadamsieee wrote:
What we are saying that the right to privacy ends at the mailing list of an opensource project.

In that case, I acknowledge your opinion, thank you again for the healthy discussion and respectfully agree to disagree with you. :)

--kurt
nadamsieee
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
In that case, I acknowledge your opinion, thank you again for the healthy discussion and respectfully agree to disagree with you. :)

Well, at least we can agree to that! :D
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nadamsieee wrote:
Private emails are fine, klieber, as long as the private stuff isn't the official policy of an opensource project

If they set-up a mailinglist, but didn't name it as a Gentoo related list, and still discussed the same things on it... you wouldn't mind?
Cid Highwind
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: -core closed because of "UPSTREAM"? Which upstrea Reply with quote

I would respectfully like to know exactly which "UPSTREAM" projects are demanding this secrecy. A project that keeps news from its user community obviously doesn't value the community's input. Any project that does not value the input of the community obviously doesn't need my (or any other mere user's) help with bug reports, patches, suggestions, translations, etc.
nadamsieee
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
nadamsieee wrote:
Private emails are fine, klieber, as long as the private stuff isn't the official policy of an opensource project

If they set-up a mailinglist, but didn't name it as a Gentoo related list, and still discussed the same things on it... you wouldn't mind?

No. You could call it an apple and do it in secrecy, but that wouldn't change the fact that it was an official private Gentoo mailing list.
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nadamsieee wrote:
port001 wrote:
nadamsieee wrote:

No. You could call it an apple and do it in secrecy, but that wouldn't change the fact that it was an official private Gentoo mailing list.

Where does it say its an official list? It's on on http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: -core closed because of "UPSTREAM"? Which ups Reply with quote

Cid Highwind wrote:
I would respectfully like to know exactly which "UPSTREAM" projects are demanding this secrecy.

KDE, for one. We typically receive new releases a few days before they are released to the public so that we can get them packaged up and distributed to our mirrors. It has nothing to do with security updates in this case, but it is a perfectly valid reason for keeping things secret. Otherwise, kde.org gets slammed when something gets released and none of the mirrors can get the files to help distribute the load.

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: