gentoo-sources won't boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: gentoo-sources won't boot Reply with quote

hi there
i'm having this annoying problem since i installed gentoo.
at first, i wanted to try out the gentoo kernel (emerge gentoo-sources), but after compiling/installing the system would freeze just after printing
Loading Linux... Uncompressing Linux...
and could not determine whether this was caused by a misconfiguration, a bug in the sourcecode, a bug in gcc or a hardware problem
now i'm using vanilla sources 2.4.20, but i would really like to give the cool additional features a try.
my only idea what could be wrong is the framebuffer. i still have to investigate this, but afaik radeonfb is set to "Module" and VESA should not set a default mode if you don't instruct it to do so (or am i wrong?)
if you want me to post my kernel config, please say so, but i rather do not because of the size.

my system:
Athlon XP2100+
256MB DDR333
VIA KT400 (ASUS A7V8X)

btw: i chose athlon xp gcc>3.1 as cpu type in the kernel setup (gcc version is 3.2.3)
stustill
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seto:

I would try recompiling your kernel without radeonfb, just the normal VESA. Also, you will need to edit /boot/grub/grub.conf, so that it knows what resolution and colour depth to use. Here is the appropriate section of grub as defined in my grub.conf:

Code:

title=Gentoo Linux
root (hd0,5)
kernel (hd0,5)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda7 hdd=ide-scsi vga=0x317 video=1024x768@72
initrd=/boot/initrd-1024x768

Notice that I set vga=0x317 (ie 1024x768x16) and also I set video to the same resolution. The initrd line is if you want to use a bootsplash.

Hope that helps a bit
Stu
(Also, I can recommend greatly gaming-sources :))
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: