View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireStarter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: RIAA and you. Reply with quote

Did all you people hear about what the RIAA is doing now?
They made a threat, starting today, stating they will hunt down
people sharing mp3's and such online and sueing them.
nrl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is illegal <shrug>.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is that different from what they do now - at least the local RIAA like "god wannabies" do that where I come from, they tend to mark Teenagers as their primary target as these can't defend themselves in court as well, and therefore are more inclied to settle with them.

BRING IT ON !!
Brown Eyed Boy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess they're legally entitled to do it. However, I think they are shooting themselves in the foot. Rather than making more people buy CD's they're just going to make the public angry and stop buying.

We all know that copying music, software, films, etc. is illegal, but I'd say that most people think of it more as pilfering, not stealing, in a similar vein to it being "ok" to take the odd pen or pad of paper from work or make a personal phonecall from your employer's phone during working hours.

I think the music industry as a whole is treading on thin ice.

~Brown Eyed Boy
FireStarter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter how many people they take money from (from sueing) or how many laws they help create, they cannot stop sharing of the mp3's. And soon, the guy who made midi is working on a new, smaller compression (from what I hear/read anyway) and it will just be unstoppable.

They stated that they will go by copyright infrigment laws when they sue someone. So, it's a big fine just for having 1 piece of MP3, BUT you know damn well the people they're gonna get will have more than just 1 mp3.
aja
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I view it as a good sign. History has shown that, at least in America, the final spasms of a company or organization that is dying because it is obsolete, irrelevant and/or redundant is a flurry of lawsuits.

I, for one, welcome the death throws of RIAA, SCO, etc..
AngusYoung
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live far away from RIAA domains ... I think they can't do much abouth my mp3 songs. BTW, I don't care a sh*t about them.
Anacific
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're still not getting it. Oh well, touche.
zephyr1256
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nrl wrote:
Well it is illegal <shrug>.

Regardless, they are sueing because their industry is becoming obselete, and they are not adjusting to the new business climate. Regardless of the legality of most P2P filesharing, its occurence is an economic given, it will happen, no matter what is "right" or "wrong", or legal or illegal. RIAA is very out of touch with reality and does not understand how to operate when what was formerly a monopoly(control of recording technology) dissolves because such technology becomes common in most new PC's. They are turning to the courts in a desparate attempt to validate legally mandated monopoly(copyright). It is only a matter of time before artists wake up, realize that they could produce their own records(or just gain exposure via P2P), and be better off without binding contracts and only getting $0.05 or less in royalties per album sold.

Customers get a better deal, too of course, with P2P. They can actually decide if a band is worth spending money on(to see a concert, get an album, whatever...). They don't have to base their decisions about buying an album based on 30 second clips of the top three hit songs on an album at the band's website.

As a final point, the RIAA blames almost all of its lost sales basically to online 'pirating'. Somehow, they seem to think the economy isn't a major factor, and it couldn't be the quality of music or prices of CDs that remain high. Nah, its got to be the file trading. This indicates that the Recording Industry does not have a clear understanding of what factors affect their business, and a sign that the business is on its way out, I think. Sueing the consumer will only hasten the end. It may scare a few people into sharing fewer files on P2P networks, but this won't help their bottom line, I'd wager.
The Congress shall have power...To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries; --U.S. Constitution. Article 1, Section 8.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yepp, they are sueing... *yawn*

And the effect of the file-shareres beeing pissed off is close to zero.

The regular CD buyer doesn't care about them going after fileshareres nor do they want to care. Most people don't get their music from P2P networks, they get them from the CD's they buy. They have no feelings on this issue at all and RIAA gets minimal effect of it from the public, but may actually manage to scare away a lot of filesharerers by simpling sueing a bunch of them and successfully pursue the case.

RIAA has their off-spring in most countries and can pursue/sue fileshareres locally, remember MPAA and DeCSS in Norway.

I really don't care what they do as long as they are actually going after people doing something illegal. It doesn't matter if you think it is no big deal, to them it is and they are in their full rights to sue.

Erik
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to laugh at a post about this on Slashdot:

Slashdot wrote:
This Just In...
SCO sues the RIAA for stealing their business model!

:lol:
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

puddpunk wrote:
I had to laugh at a post about this on Slashdot:

Slashdot wrote:
This Just In...
SCO sues the RIAA for stealing their business model!

:lol:

:) Good one !

Erik
reves
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: RIAA and you. Reply with quote

FireStarter wrote:
Did all you people hear about what the RIAA is doing now?
They made a threat, starting today, stating they will hunt down
people sharing mp3's and such online and sueing them.

Well if you don't pirate music you won't have a problem. It definately think the MPAA is wrong though, If I want to watch a DVD that I payed for on a DVD drive that I paid for using free software I should be able to.
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if cds didnt cost so much they wouldnt have this problem. lucky for me ive found lots of cheap places that sell cds at around £9 but alot of albums are rrp at £16, which for a cd is over the top.
as for downloading, i did it with napster, but that was a longgg time ago, i cant be arsed with it, the quality is too poor for me, all the music ive got ripped is my own and unshared, is that illegal? most likly but i find it such a hassle inserting a cd every time i was to listen to 1 certain song
nrl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d3c3it wrote:
if cds didnt cost so much they wouldnt have this problem. lucky for me ive found lots of cheap places that sell cds at around £9 but alot of albums are rrp at £16, which for a cd is over the top.
as for downloading, i did it with napster, but that was a longgg time ago, i cant be arsed with it, the quality is too poor for me, all the music ive got ripped is my own and unshared, is that illegal? most likly but i find it such a hassle inserting a cd every time i was to listen to 1 certain song

In Fopp and Music Zone and also other smaller stores you can usually pick up lots of albums for £5 or less and these are usually of much higher quality than the drivel that the record industry pumps out daily. The most I usually pay for an album is £10 - even the new Radiohead album that was a big release (I did not check but I presume it went to number one in the charts since they are very popular these days and there was alot of hype from the media) was only a tenner.
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nrl wrote:
d3c3it wrote:

In Fopp and Music Zone and also other smaller stores you can usually pick up lots of albums for £5 or less and these are usually of much higher quality than the drivel that the record industry pumps out daily. The most I usually pay for an album is £10 - even the new Radiohead album that was a big release (I did not check but I presume it went to number one in the charts since they are very popular these days and there was alot of hype from the media) was only a tenner.

yea i saw that, i got that, i also got the new deftones which was only £9. it seems that bands that are more "non-mainstream" there cds are coming down. cant be a bad thing. oh yea the new marilyn manson + dvd i got for £9, for £9 why download it? but if it was £16 i wouldnt touch it. which i like to add is in HMV, £16. funny how its always hmv moaning about lack of sales when places like amazon *radiohead and deftones £9* and play.com *all examples* dont moan at all and are charging almost half as much as hmv, dont think the penny has quite dropped yet!
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same old, same old....
As someone already mentioned, MPAA is extremely wrong with regards to DVDs and backup copies. To make it more clear, 2 examples:
- You all know that photocopying an entire book and passing it over is totally illegal right? I didn't see any law however putting photocopiers in general under ban or restricted license! You can still buy one freely of any make and use it as you like at your home/office. Same goes for the book too... You could even tear it appart (except that it would be a terrible pitty to perform such a barbary).
- If somebody (and in the course of history there have been simply too many) uses a kitchen knife/screwdriver/axe/whatever to commit homocide, would you ban/restrict home utensils? Would you sue and fine the specific tool manufacturer? I don't recall paying an "anti-murder social compensation" tax last time I bought a toolset.

RIAA, OTOH, does have a legal point. But they don't have a rational one. They are actually drowning their own business and they should have known better from past experiences: video, audiocassetes etc... they 've been so worried about it and still made billions exactly because of them.
Right now there is an extreme gap in their market which they don't want to fill but will not nonetheless leave anyone else do it.
Let me explain... I rarely download music from the net, I buy CDs. Call me an audiophile freak but anything with the words "compression" and "audio" in the description makes me nod my head in irony. But I still need the music on the net... Why? Because most record shops by now are just huge supermarket-like chains where a moronic "look but don't touch" principle reigns. Would you buy something you don't know what on earth is just because of sales-talk? But even that, nowdays is rare. Salespersons in cd stores rarely know anything more than what is pushed by MTV/Sony. You can always take the bet and buy cds "by the look" but after a dozen sucky results you stop throwing money away like that. That's why I use p2p for music. I search for something I know I definately like and then search that user's other stuff. If I do like something out of their shares... I'm off to the record stores.
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIDI is a protocol! Not a file format! Not a audio codec!

On the other hand, what would you call a file with MIDI commands? A MIDI program? But that is used to describe the algorithms used to generate the tones.

I feel that P2P filesharing/piracy is a little more excessive than just sharing a CD with a friend or too, which is usually not prosecuted, though illegal.
zephyr1256
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiTaSuMbA wrote:
You can always take the bet and buy cds "by the look" but after a dozen sucky results you stop throwing money away like that. That's why I use p2p for music. I search for something I know I definately like and then search that user's other stuff. If I do like something out of their shares... I'm off to the record stores.

This is one of the strongest reasons why(ethically and economically) there is nothing wrong with P2P. Most people who I know who engage in heavy file sharing are also BIG buyers of CDs. But when they buy CDs, they know what they are getting, and they know they will like it. They are arguably actually spending more money on CDs than they might without free file trading, and in all cases, they are getting more of their money's worth since they get to make a more informed decision about what to buy. Economically the only people that get hurt are big labels that want to push expensive album sales based on one or two hit songs per album, and make you buy a bunch of mediocre filler tracks. I guess artists that produce that kind of garbage might also be hurt, although I would still argue that those artists are hurt more by their own record labels than by any file sharers could ever do.
The Congress shall have power...To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries; --U.S. Constitution. Article 1, Section 8.
iKiddo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
The regular CD buyer doesn't care about them going after fileshareres nor do they want to care. Most people don't get their music from P2P networks, they get them from the CD's they buy.
Most regular young people here in Holland do copy music illegally. It's dead easy and the record industry encourage it by driving up the prices. But on the other hand most of the afore mentioned people also buy CD's if they _really_ like them, because these CD's are worth the many.

ebrostig wrote:
They have no feelings on this issue at all and RIAA gets minimal effect of it from the public,
This one still stands, though.
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zephyr: I agree completely with you... Harm a mediocre artist as in not buying his mediocre work?! Well, that sounds just about right to me! Especially when there are so many artists worth of attention that get burried by the big labels simply because they don't fit in their marketing "trend" and thus don't stand a chance to cut a reasonable deal.
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nrl wrote:
d3c3it wrote:

In America they have Best Buy. It's like Fopp on steroids. :-D

In regard to
reves wrote:
Well if you don't pirate music you won't have a problem. It definately think the MPAA is wrong though, If I want to watch a DVD that I payed for on a DVD drive that I paid for using free software I should be able to.

Yeah, this is a bit annoying. However, under linux my DVD drive seems to be able to play any region with the only difference being that on anything bar region 2 it says when starting xine..."This does not appear to be of your native region", or something like that. Under windows (PowerDVD) it said it was going to lock my DVD drive or something after switching twice. I love linux! -D

Puggy
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think puggy here demonstrated the main difference between RIAA and MPAA. RIAA is going after pirates who illegally copy and trade music, whereas MPAA mostly were going after those who made decrypters so a legally bought movie could be played on unsupported platforms.

I really don't care if RIAA squeezes a trader for money since everyone *knew* that it was illegal doing what they wer doing. The view is not so clear when it comes to MPAA and DVD's. MPAA claims that you are only allowed to playback the DVD's that you buy on a certified and licensed platform and that they loose money because they will not receive any license fee from Linux. I can, to a certain degree, understand their reasoning. But, what I can not understand, is why they wouldn't create a commercial Linux library and sell it. It would be easy to do, create libraries that can be used with Mplayer and other multimediaplayers and at least get some money back from it. I'm sure a lot of people would pay for it. I know I wouldn't have any problems with it as long as it was reasonably prized.

The problem with the community is that it seems like people want everything for free. This is not how society works. If it did, who would contribute to your pay-check?

My Humble Opinion:
Music/RIAA: Don't steal or trade mp3's, it's illegal and you may be sued. I'm not going to cry if you are sued.

DVD/MPAA: I'll use whatever program available to view my legaly bought DVD's under Linux. MPAA, if you want this to change, license someone to make the necessary libraries under Linux and I'll pay for it.

Erik
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a thought, are the riaa going after p2p users ie kazaa or bitorrent? not that it matters, i dont download albums now, the quality is to cacky
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<long rant>

This is the age of information, the age of technology. Anyone can get a computer, and a nice one too, on a months salary or less. It is very common to find multiple machines in a single household. With broadband you're seeing even more online and online often. The computer has now been put right up there with the television as an entertainment device. As more and more people adopt this mindset, more and more people are going to be using this so-called 'entertainment device' for, wait for it.. wait for it.. Ah! Entertainment! Music is one of the most basic forms of entertainment there is. And if people are looking towards computers to provide that, the RIAA needs to adapt to that demand of the market. Thus far, no one has responded well except Apple, but I'll get to them in a minute. (and I'm sorry if this sounds like a magazine article :P)

When I was sent my first MP3 on IRC back in '96 I thought it was pretty cool. No longer did I need 10 meg .wav files for a few seconds of audio. Granted MP3s were several megs for a full song, but this was much better than 50 megs for the same .wav file. I knew then, when I found myself 'collecting', that this was going to be a problem.

In any case, the word about MP3 spread like wildfire amoungst people 'in the know' and FTPs were set up all across the 'net housing files. This was a some what underground thing until Napster showed up. Once again, proving that the more you yell about somethig, the more popular it gets, Metallica single handedly made MP3 a household name.

By now, the idea of getting music online was so entrenched in everyones minds, the thought of not being able to play music on your computer became an almost alien concept. In my opinion this is where the RIAA, if they were sensitive to consumer opinion, could have stepped in and made a killing. As of now, they're only alieniating potential customers. As was said on Slashdot:

"I don't get it! I've threatened them, sued them, and they still won't buy my products!"

Apple has the right idea. They're selling single songs. Not only have they made a few million so far from this, but its proving that people _will_ buy music online. Why? Because the computer is now an entertainment device. There has been some opposition to this by people like Linken Park (do people really listen to this crap?) and Jewel (who openly admitted to downloading music a few years ago). Basically they say that their work is art and should be taken as a whole. But lets look at that.

You make a CD that kicks ass in every way possible, every track has you giving 100%, every second is thought out and wonderful (like say, Tool :P). And then say you're some corperate crap band that makes _one_ good song. You'll both make the same money on CD sales because the prices are all the same. I think this is bad. If you put your blood, sweat and tears into a full 10 tracks, people will download them all, paying you for every ouce of effort you put forth. If you make _one_ good song, you make money off that one good song and thats _it_. This model that Apple has created is the best system of 'natural selection' amoungst artists I've come across. Personally I'm all for it.

The RIAA needs to wake up. While, yes, its technically illegal to have music you didn't pay for, p2p by way of IRC and FTPs have been around since the early 90s. This isn't going to stop, even if every p2p network is shutdown perminatly. The _reason_ its not going to stop is because people have changed what they use computers for. As I said, they are now as much of an _entertainment_ device as a television. If the RIAA had responded at the time, or even takes Apples current model, people would not be downloading illegal music. I feel that as long as the RIAA uses these strongarm tactics against the very people that provide them with a living, people are going to pirate music.

</end of rant>
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: