xmms troubles...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinuxDolt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:22 am    Post subject: xmms troubles... Reply with quote

i suddenly cannot get any playback in xmms anymore...

i use alsa for my sound, emu10k1 is my soundcard, and i use kde for my x11 de...

i have had xmms working perfectly fine before, but it will not work anymore... (other programs are playing sounds without any problems)

the errors i am getting are ALSA-XMMS Error: buffer size == period size and Couldn't open audio...

my regular user is in the audio group...

anyone help please?
smite
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... back in my kde days I had severe problems using alsa and kde together. While I don't know the specific answer to your problem, why not set xmms to use the arts plugin, which is designed to work with kde?
dub.wav
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/alsa-xmms/ .From what I could see, the problem has been fixed in newer versions.
LinuxDolt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the first reply:
Quote:
Hmmm... back in my kde days I had severe problems using alsa and kde together. While I don't know the specific answer to your problem, why not set xmms to use the arts plugin, which is designed to work with kde?

because the arts plugin is no longer supported upstream for one, for another i would much prefer to be able to go a little more directly toward the hardware if at all possible...

To the second reply:
Quote:
From what I could see, the problem has been fixed in newer versions.

well, i tried to get the newest version (i had to change my make.conf and world files to do it) and now local playback works, however i am still unable to do internet streams... and internet streams are what i listen to the most, my local media collection is quite shrimpy... i am not on a lan to see if intranet streams work or not, but i would guess they wouldn't... i am going to try unmasking the newest xmms (1.2.7-r22) and see if that fixes this problem... since i have a feeling it is the streaming that is having problems...

EDIT: upon getting the newest xmms the problem still remains unfixed... if anyone has any ideas... i will say that certain other media players have no problem -- namely zinf -- however i experience much worse sound quality using zinf than i had using xmms when xmms worked...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: