Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bcavalieri: It seemed more along the lines of:

"Hey, I'd like to contribute to Gentoo in order to push forward the idea of Embedded Gentoo for use by my company and while I'm at it, I'll offer 5 servers (of which, forums.gentoo.org and bugs.gentoo.org were mentioned), plus make an intregal contact for you which offers you loads of bandwidth, in order to make Gentoo better. You know, lets take it a step further and LOAN YOU MONEY from my own personal business so you can make your trips to Linux conventions. Meanwhile, I'll work privately for the good of Gentoo and of my own personal company and ask only to be concidered leader of the Embedded Gentoo project when the side-company is created."

And it looks as if DRobbins snatched it out from under him. Again, its a one sided arguement. This makes the dude look like a saint, which I'm sure he isn't, but his contributions to Gentoo were/are more than significant.

asimon wrote:
Unless your comment was ironical it doesn't make sense to me. Isn't is well known that one makes more money if he's unehtical, irresponsible, closed, and surely not fair? I think this can be easily verified by regulary reading the business part of the news paper.

It can also be verified by reading the long list of ethics based business lawsuites that have sprung up over what you suggest, namely those dealing with Microsoft. ;)

No, my comments ment that taking the leap from "Open Source hacker" to "CEO of a for-profit business" requires a bit of change in mentality. You are no longer at liberty to squabble amoungest yourselves and remain a respectful well liked company which also turns a profit. Obviously this *can* be done, but the effects it has on the users, even just by way of reputation, can break you. Don't think so? How many Gentoo users are ex-Debian users who got fed up with egotistical devs? A good majority. These kind of playground antics scream "unprofessional".

Look at it this way: Even if SCO is right, do you think people will be lining up to buy their products? Some how I doubt it. While this isn't nearly the same thing, internal politics should be kept to a minimum and by employing openly ethical fair treatment of your support staff, paid or otherwise, you keep things steadily moving. Drobbins could have done things much better when dealing with this other guy than he did, and if he'd of employed some better judgement when dealing with it, this mess wouldn't have started.

I mean, reread what this guys article. His contact at Oregon State alone was immensely valuble to Gentoo, not to mention his lending of critical servers and money..

I still call foul here. And I don't like it one bit that my favorite distribution is run by people that take your work, then show you the door. :(
quag7
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I would caution anyone who was not involved in this dispute to refrain from forming opinions too quickly. There are multiple sides to any story. This is just kind of ugly and sad, and I don't know who is right, and things like this tend to cause problems when people start taking sides when they weren't there or don't have all the facts.

Second, I will say this - I don't think it's unreasonable for someone who spends all of his or her time and effort working in a project to feel like he or she should have more of a say in the direction of a project than, say, peripheral contributors or end-users. I certainly have my own opinions about things I'd like to see change in Gentoo, but I've never done much more than put a few entries in bugzilla. Why should anyone really care what I have to say? I don't think I should have a vote. I would hope though that those who do at least take the time to assess the opinions of end-users and maybe introduce some good ideas that we have from time to time. I think they do that now.

Fact of the matter is, Gentoo simply wouldn't *be* if it weren't for the serious efforts of Daniel Robbins and co. The people who run the project should be cut some slack and given some consideration. If it turns out that there is some horrible shit going on at the top, you can always participate in the fork, fork it yourself, or just fork off and use another distribution. Or protest and maybe they'll listen. But it should be given some time, I think. From my perspective, Gentoo has been remarkably successful so far - not perfect, perhaps, and certainly it can be improved, but I'm pretty impressed.

I just would hate to see this incident explode into some horrid political thing. I hate it when this happens and it always seems to, eventually, in any large, successful project.

As it is now, all I have is gratitude for everyone who's ever helped me in these forums, helped me on #gentoo, developed, patched, and built Gentoo Linux.

I hope that everyone involved - as well as the observing user community - can step back, take a deep breath, and move forward constructively without additional rancor. Let's just all be cautious about this is all I'm saying.
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skip.za wrote:
I'm really not worried. If drobbins is a complete raving control freak it does not really affect me as I'm not a developer. As long as the project remains under GPL and continues to move forward I'm happy regardless of managerial style.

It really only affects the developers who come into contact with drobbins and if he is as bad as the guy who is forking is claiming he is then there will be a mass exodus of developers and Gentoo will stagnate and eventually die.

So until that happens I'm sticking with ye olde Gentoo.

I assure you, drobbins is not a raving control freak. The new management proposal should help show that.
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asimon wrote:
lurid wrote:
It was stated over and over in the fork article that drobbins is definately interested in for-profit business, and if this is the case, then I believe that he should act as such. That being: ethical, responcible, open, and fair.

Unless your comment was ironical it doesn't make sense to me. Isn't is well known that one makes more money if he's unehtical, irresponsible, closed, and surely not fair? I think this can be easily verified by regulary reading the business part of the news paper.

Have fun,
Andreas

While I think you were probably poking some fun at this whole discussion, I think there is definite truth to this statement. A lot of us are Linux users precisely BECAUSE we sometimes perceive commercial software to be unethical or unfair. This is just a perception, but it's a widespread one amongst the open source community. That's what makes people slightly distrustful of anyone with commercial "taint" on them. I highly doubt that anything sinister is going on here (I think it's just a personal argument that sort of spiralled), but it's understandable to me at least why reading this article would be disturbing to some people. Gentoo should make it more clear where the line between Gentoo the company and Gentoo the open source project is. This would only protect everyone on both sides of the line from these accusations of unethical behavior that are bound to come up whenever we encounter personal disagreements within the project.
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mnemia wrote:
asimon wrote:
lurid wrote:
It was stated over and over in the fork article that drobbins is definately interested in for-profit business, and if this is the case, then I believe that he should act as such. That being: ethical, responcible, open, and fair.

Have fun,
Andreas

While I think you were probably poking some fun at this whole discussion, I think there is definite truth to this statement. A lot of us are Linux users precisely BECAUSE we sometimes perceive commercial software to be unethical or unfair. This is just a perception, but it's a widespread one amongst the open source community. That's what makes people slightly distrustful of anyone with commercial "taint" on them. I highly doubt that anything sinister is going on here (I think it's just a personal argument that sort of spiralled), but it's understandable to me at least why reading this article would be disturbing to some people. Gentoo should make it more clear where the line between Gentoo the company and Gentoo the open source project is. This would only protect everyone on both sides of the line from these accusations of unethical behavior that are bound to come up whenever we encounter personal disagreements within the project.

Gentoo Technologies, currently registered as a for-profit, is going to go nonprofit. Gentoo Linux is part of Gentoo Technologies. Gentoo Linux is a community distribution and will remain a community distribution.

That will leave Gentoo Games as the only for-profit at this time. The idea is that we can have for-profits like Gentoo Games that will feed Gentoo Technologies (and therefore Gentoo Linux).
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that a mistake many people are making is that they feel that one side has to be the bad guy: either Zach is a bad guy or Daniel is a bad guy.

I have had extensive personal interaction with both, and I feel that neither one of them is a bad guy. They are two people with a personality conflict, and one of them has reacted angrily to that. People are like that.

My opinion on the whole situation: why paint either one as a bad guy?

(Additionally, with regards to the comments about developer arrogance, there are certainly some developers who are arrogant. There are also some - more, I think - who are definitely not arrogant. People are different; you cannot expect every person on a team to come across the same way or interact with other people the same way. I don't see why that should reflect on the team as a whole; I certainly don't judge,say, the entire forums community based on the comments of a couple people. I admit to being a jerk on mailing lists from time to time myself when I get tense; I apologize for that.)

Okay, that's enough 5:30am rambling...
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avenj wrote:
Mnemia wrote:
asimon wrote:
lurid wrote:

Have fun,
Andreas

Gentoo Technologies, currently registered as a for-profit, is going to go nonprofit. Gentoo Linux is part of Gentoo Technologies. Gentoo Linux is a community distribution and will remain a community distribution.

That will leave Gentoo Games as the only for-profit at this time. The idea is that we can have for-profits like Gentoo Games that will feed Gentoo Technologies (and therefore Gentoo Linux).

Thanks for taking the time to come to the forums and clear this up for all of us who don't read the mailing lists as regularly as the forums. Your effort is much appreciated.
ciguanabo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Zach has given a lot of valid criticism to the way Gentoo is organized, and there are a couple of lessons the Gentoo community should learn from this event.

This is the main lesson, I think, that can be learned from this: Because of the GPL it should be possible for many people to start companies that want to go into the Gentoo Embedded business (or any other Gentoo based business). The point is, none of these people should have any decision-making rights in the Gentoo developement, because this could result in unfair business practices. Ideally though, all of these companies would have people contributing to the Gentoo developement (directly or just financially), but the person actually making the decisions shouln't be directly linked to any one of these companies.

One of the reasons the linux kernel developement works great is that Linus (the one who decides what makes into the kernel or not) doesn't (directly) depend financially on the kernel. All his decisions are based on discussions in the kernel-developement list and are as such technically sound (as humanly possible). I think the gentoo developement process should try to imitate this.

As such I think it would be best if Daniel decides whether he wants to run a Gentoo business (and be a 'normal' developer at the same time) or be the lead Gentoo developer taking the final decisions about where Gentoo is heading.
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'm not sure whether or not to call this a "personality conflict". It is more like "identical exclusive personalities" - i.e. two control freaks, two vain people etc.

But one thing is for certain - they both left because what they were working on was cancelled after they had been working on it for some time.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm seriously considering pointing my portage tree to Zynot when it gets off the ground.. the reasons?

1) Portage rewrite in C++ - finally something I'm interested in coding in my sparetime and even though a rewrite in C++ probably wouldn't bring much benefit... but I think it's a cool project, and in the end that's what matters right?

2) Well, I don't get along with the developers as much as I would like, this is my own personal problem - I trust Daniel and the devs not to screw me over but that doesn't mean I agree with all of their decisions.

3) New distro... drool... must install... must have... drool..

That being said I'm very impressed with Gentoo and the manner in which it has taken the world by storm.

All in all I think a fork might be a good idea - fresh ideas, a fresh start - maybe then some of the longstanding feature requests can be implemented.

Good luck with the fork.
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second avenj's comment on "bad vs. good guy." Almost nothing related to personal affairs and conflicts is black & white.
For the record, what I feel was the issue here is a misaprehension over each other's ambitions and "roadmaps". Zach seems to think he had "bought" the right to lead Gentoo Devices / Embedded (these two projects are quite entangled in his article) through his work and contributions (both monetary and workhours) but there doesn't seam to be a fixed agreement on that one either vocal or written by drobbins or any other in the gentoo management. In any case I refrain from forming any condemnations for anyone as it's quite a grey area and, after all, this issue doesnot directly involve or endanger the gentoo linux we all love.

What IS important for the community is to further discuss the reorganisation of the gentoo management and decision-making process since its current blurry state seams once too often to create doubts, arguements and even anger. I admit I haven't examined in length the entire management structure proposal so I will not comment strictly on that but rather discuss what I feel is good sense in managing a community-based project.

Whoever has been strategically involved even with small community projects knows perfectly well that there is a very hard dilemma:
- community means "power to the base", to autocontrol and decide by a majority or strongest current mode.
- on the other hand, it's more often than not the case, that such projects left with no formal managerial infrastructure remain stagnant because there are a million voices all different and many roads proposed by people without that lack the time, will or capabilities to affront and even taken for a while by the whole community only tobe abbondoned in later times when the dead-end becomes obvious to everybody. Under these conditions, sooner or later, you will see the formation of informal "groups" that tend to agree and that, in filling the gap left from a missing management structure, "push" a certain policy/decision/whatever down to the base. Different groups or people on their own, will inevitably come to a clash and there will be no pre-defined set of rules and procedures to solve the dispute and make a choice in a timely manner. Egos will get hurt, someone might attempt shutting another's mouth and the project will pass through a serious storm and probably get out of it bruised if it makes it at all.

So how do you solve this problem? Let's see the options:
- The direct democracy model: all members have a say and equivalent votes. Great advantage: people decide in the open and there is nothing to hide avoiding a whole set of rants and whines. Great disadvantage: high risk of uninformed and erroneous decisions. Direct democracy made Athens what it was but also took it down when the anger-driven, impressionable base chose open war with Sparta.
- The representative democracy model: the base simply elects a council that does the direct decision making. Great advantage: similar underworks and openess to the direct model but faster and easier management with, theoretically, less risk of uninformed, impression-based decision-making. Great disadvantage: it's only too often that hard-workers and people with great ideas are the less vocal and thus less probable of getting into the decision-making ring. Plus, the possibility of election to power could generate a sort of "competition" that could block proposals straight from the base upon anything but technical merits.
- The credits/karma based model: people gain the right to vote or a "weight" on their vote based on certain criteria that should reflect workhours applied to the project or other ways of evaluating contributions. This can be combined with either direct or representative models. Great advantage: decisions are made, at least in theory, by those who not only talk the talk but also walk the walk. Great disadvantage: very few people can stand the drivel to establish and defend the way credits are appointed - even if a great land is born it's going to be through a volcanic eruption. In the case that credits are appointed by the base rather than a math formula in a /.-ish karma or K5's mojo manner, the theory of walkers > talkers is substituted in practice by karma whoring of some sort.
- The meritocracy model: people who have a say are chosen only by those who already have that right on the base of an open set of criteria and rules that should reflect a person's devotion and capabilities related to the project. Great advantage: choices are generally made by experienced people. Great disadvantage: too much of an omeostasis pattern! It's far harder to get fresh ideas inside the decision-making area. Look at xfree86 for example... it's probably the most conservative open source project of a certain extension.
- The aristocracy model: decision makers are chosen in a top-down way from a central core of initial founders. Leaves the base with a "take it or leave it" option. Great advantage: the fastest moving and most stable management. Great disadvantage: the base's only control is that the management most likely wants to keep it numerous and happy. Should the core lose interest or drift the project away from the initial principles the only way of recovery is that of starting anew perhaps from where the last left (as is the case with a GPL software project).

It's a hard call isn't it? In the end, what matters is not the model but rather how it is implemented and that depends solely on the people that form the community. In any case, any clear model is far better than the current blurry situation. It seams that the current proposal tends mostly to the aristocracy model... Drobbins and his companions have my best wishes for an even faster-evolving, enterprise-ready gentoo.
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciguanabo wrote:
As such I think it would be best if Daniel decides whether he wants to run a Gentoo business (and be a 'normal' developer at the same time) or be the lead Gentoo developer taking the final decisions about where Gentoo is heading.

From a Gentoo business man's point of view it's much more advantageous if you not only lead your Gentoo business but can also decide about Gentoo's future (more power is a good thing for businesses). If I would lead a Gentoo business and happen to be "Gentoo's Chief Architect" at the same time, I wouln't give up the Chief Architect position (there comes a quote from Charlton Heston to my mind: "... only from my cold dying hands.").

Have fun,
Andreas
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fickle person, and I don't find the name Zynot very attractive.

On a more serious note, I'm not against the fork, I just can't see it getting much publicity. I'd love the C++ portage rewrite however.
ciguanabo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asimon wrote:
ciguanabo wrote:

From a Gentoo business man's point of view it's much more advantageous if you not only lead your Gentoo business but can also decide about Gentoo's future (more power is a good thing for businesses). If I would lead a Gentoo business and happen to be "Gentoo's Chief Architect" at the same time, I wouln't give up the Chief Architect position (there comes a quote from Charlton Heston to my mind: "... only from my cold dying hands.").

Of course it's more advantageous, but this means all the work done by the Gentoo community can only be cashed in by one company. Anyone who wants to start another company would need to make a branch because you can't trust the Gentoo developement to go in a direction that is technologically sound, because you never know whether Daniel will push Gentoo into some direction only to get rid of his competition. (Not that I have any reasons to distrust Daniel, personally)

If the Gentoo community wants businesses to start (and keep) supporting Gentoo, the organization has to be impartial to any one company and this is not the case right now. I for one wouldn't like it if Zynot gets it's organization right and companies do start choosing Zynot instead of Gentoo.
jimlynch11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally, im a little taken back just to learn that Gentoo has been for-profit. especially considering the big "make a donation" button on the homepage. while not outwardly claiming to be non-profit, to me, it does imply that. can you picture IBM having a "make a donation to IBM" button on their homepage? how many of you wouldve donated money, or systems, or services, coding, etc...just for a few select individuals to make money off of it, while you get nothing?

also, once gentoo tech. goes non-profit, and gentoo games and other projects stay for-profit, could you honestly see the developers giving each branch of gentoo the same amount of effort?

im not trying to jump to any conclusions, and certainly would love to hear any arguments to the contrary, but i think mixing non-profits with for-profits is dangerous
Koon
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avenj wrote:
I assure you, drobbins is not a raving control freak. The new management proposal should help show that.

Oh my god, you're with THEM ! :)

On a more serious note, I also think the new management structure should help clarify things and reassure conspiracy theorists (or is it the new plot ?). I have seen people go crazy withe America's Army GentooGame (does US Army own Gentoo ?) and now I see people expressing fear on the for-profit / non-profit / closed-management / truth is out there imbroglio.

Even if everything is clear in their minds, Gentoo management has to learn the importance of communicating over these issues, even if it's seen as a complete waste of time, otherwise the Gentoo community, built on technical merit, will crumble on general politics rumours. The management draft is a step in the right direction, maybe too late ?

-K
TheQuickBrownFox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: About profit/non-profit Reply with quote

What is this whole thing about?

It's not like anyone is harming me or ripping me off for using/developing stuff for gentoo. If someone can make money off it, good for them! Especially if Gentoo is their full-time job.

It's in everyone's best interest to stick together. If the lead mainainers/developers mess around the minor developers/users, the users will leave and that would be bad for everyone.

I suppose the fork is just part of the process of directing Gentoo into a direction that would benefit everyone. I just hope that Zach has the sanity to join forces again, once the issues are resolved. We really don't need another distro.
cult hero
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
as a developer who was about to enter the gentoo ring, this has made me think twice about helping. I don't really want to get into personal politics, but I know that I will be watching this along with a lot of the development community. At this point all we can do is wait and see what happens yto our beloved distrobution.

I see this kind of statement a little too often. If you want to avoid personal politics, work solo in everything. That's the nature of the social human beast. The second the number of people increases past one, there's gonna be personal politics. Such is life.

I dunno, I feel like one of the few that just sorta looked at this and went, "Oh. Okay." and then moved on. Daniel Robbins has created a successful Linux distribution that I like using. Running an organization like this can't be easy and this sort of shit just happens. Okay... life goes on. I'm glad this other guy is doing his own thing if that's what he wants to do. Great.

I must admit though, I thought Robbins' reply was pretty funny. "I won't reply to these dirty, rotten lies you bastard." I'd be irritated in his position and frankly, had he been as blunt as my exaggeration, I wouldn't have blamed him either. Feelings get hurt, shit happens... life goes on.

Zynot will either do well or it won't. If it does and it benefits me, I win. If it doesn't and Gentoo still suits my needs, I will. If both die and I switch to something else that suits my needs, I win. Sweet. Most of us can probably agree that Gentoo has a superior name... Zynot just... well... the name blows. Am I alone in thinking this?

And... as for the "too many distros" argument... who cares? There are major distros and fringe distros. If there's a billion fringe ones, who cares? They don't harm anything and they give niche users a home. If they're super compelling, their features will either be absorbed by a major distro or they'll become one because of numbers. It's that simple. Linux is here to stay. Until someone owns it and controls it and takes away everything that makes it so damn cool there are gonna be tons of distros, each with some individual's idea of what's best. You know the best part though? All of them can run Gnome and X and all the other progs... which means they can still play nice together. Choice is good. It's always good. I don't see anyone saying, "Hey, 31 flavors is just too many. How about like... 5. Surely we can all agree on 5 flavors, right?"

Last edited by cult hero on Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People has the right to fork projects from GPL'ed projects. If they are going to be successfull, that's another story.

My best feelings to the forking people, but for now I am quite happy with Gentoo and I am not going to change distros.
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cult hero wrote:
Zynot just... well... the name blows. Am I alone in thinking this?

This is the name of the foundation, they seem to be looking for a good name for the distro.

Some of the propositions?

eduro, Guten, Ochoco GNU/Linux, mentoo, dentoo, GenThree, Zyon GNU/Linux, HolisticOs...

:lol:
carambola5
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avenj wrote:

From personal experience, I can say that if I was setting up the beginnings of a company that founded a Linux distribution and I wasn't sure if it would make it, I would definitely not make the company non-profit. Like I said, I have personal experience in founding a company and the rigamarole required to be deemed non-profit is much easier when you have some clout (ie: good accountant and lawyer friends who are willing to help out). That said, there should be no qualms about Gentoo Technologies being for-profit from the beginning until some point...

Some could argue about the timing in turning into a non-profit organization. More specifically, why didn't this happen sooner? My response is: Who cares, as long as it gets done eventually?

As for the rest of the story, I'm just an outside user/wannabe developer. I have no inside knowledge on the issue and do not claim as such. The one topic that has piqued my interest is the -core mailing list. To be effective, -core cannot be world-writable. Nor can it be user-writable. The -core mailing list needs to be absolutely, without a doubt, only hardcore-developer-writable. That's the whole point of "core:" the core of the project participates. Reading -core is another issue entirely. I think it should be subscriber (no restrictions on readonly-subscription) readable.

Just my $.02
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carambola5 wrote:
From personal experience, I can say that if I was setting up the beginnings of a company that founded a Linux distribution and I wasn't sure if it would make it, I would definitely not make the company non-profit. Like I said, I have personal experience in founding a company and the rigamarole required to be deemed non-profit is much easier when you have some clout (ie: good accountant and lawyer friends who are willing to help out).

Ehm, I'm not very fond in this kind of stuff, I'd like to know the details if possible. :P
Senso
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
I'm a fickle person, and I don't find the name Zynot very attractive.

On a more serious note, I'm not against the fork, I just can't see it getting much publicity. I'd love the C++ portage rewrite however.

As a Python whore, having the choice between a Python Portage and a C++ one, I already know what I'll choose. I don't care if C++ is 3% or 40% faster than Python. If Gentoo keeps the current Portage system and Zynot goes to C++, I'll stay here for sure.

EDIT:
From the Zynot FAQ:
Quote:
For the very long term, my long term vision for our package management system is the following:
1) use gentoo's python portage
2) develop spec for new package manager, including functionality of Udder
3) develop prototype in perl
4) implement in C/C++

It looks like they want to keep Python Portage for a while anyway.

Last edited by Senso on Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't resist adding to the current 'hot topic' :wink:

I think avenj has the best attitude, don't look at this as a good guy/bad guy situation. It's obvious that management has reviewed themselves and come up with a new model.

'Words of wisdom'

Sometimes forks are good, sometimes not........only time will tell!!

8)
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im very much confused by this, does this in english mean that 1 the developers has left to do his own distro based on gentoo?
from what ive read im very shocked, esp what was/is said about the developers.
lame response i know, so dont flame me, im outta my depth :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: